Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

close + delete pls

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    close + delete pls
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe there is a way to load the Windows 7 files onto a USB and install it that way. if you have a 4 GB USB you could use that; but I'm not sure about an iPhone
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    anyone know if you can use an iPhone?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I'm not sure iOS devices can be enabled for disk use anymore. It should be an option in iTunes if it is on the main iPhone pane. In the list of options like whether or not you want automatic syncing, it used to be there.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To do a fresh intall of Windows 7 you have to boot from the device, either a DVD drive or bootable USB stick.

You can get these for dirt cheap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Dat...8903618&sr=8-1
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    ty for all your advice

but I just had a mangoh brainwave

Can't I connect an HDMI cable from my spare laptop that has a working dvd drive and then connect the other end of the cable to the computer tower I want to install windows 7 on?

No, HDMI does not carry data.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptops don't have an external video input so as far as I can tell. You can't
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    An ethernet cable will let you connect a laptop & tower.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to use a crossover ethernet cable to connect two computers directly to eachother. Normal patch cables will work if you're doing it through hubs though.

Just right click on the folder you want to share Properties>Sharing>Advanced Sharing>Share this folder.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are able to see the iPhone at the boot menu then you can boot from it and install Windows 7. To check this, tap f10 or f11 when the computer starts. If your iPhone is listed on the menu then you can boot from it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ty for all your advice

but I just had a mangoh brainwave

Can't I connect an HDMI cable from my spare laptop that has a working dvd drive and then connect the other end of the cable to the computer tower I want to install windows 7 on?

Oh, Lord. :indiff:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a windows 7 disc on a DVD (as obviously you can't have windows 7 on a CD as CD's can't hold as much data than DVDs can)

The problem is my CD/DVD drive is broken

However I have access to a CD/DVD drive via my friends laptop

I'm wondering if I could transfer the files from the disc to the usb and boot the computer with the USB?

If legally possible, please post a link to a program that allows this easily (less hassle as possible as I don't want to be searching through the files of the disc, too many to look through)
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    UNetBootIn?
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    no windows 7 on there?

For linux?
    You'll need to take an image of the DVD, using your friend's computer (with a small program, like InfraRecorder). This will give you an ISO file.

Then in UNetBootIn, you would select the second radio button, at the bottom, and then point the program to your .iso file.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    So let me clarify, insert DVD (windows 7 disc)

open InfraRecorder to create .iso file

Open UNetBootIn to create a bootable USB

Plug in USB in computer (may require changing bios order)

??
    Yep :top:

Yes, when you first turn on the computer, there should be a key to press to change the boot order (you may not even have to go into the full BIOS thing), and then put USB first
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take out your friends dvd drive and place it in your tower untill install is finshed and then give it back to him? Ir buy a new dvd drive thry're like £20

• 28 followers

Is it possible to install windows 7 from using your iPhone?

I have a disk (dvd)
    My DVD drive is broken and I don't have a usb/external hard drive

However I have access to a dvd tray on my old laptop

Could I transfer the windows 7 files onto my iPhone (so iPhone effectively acts as a USB) and then boot the windows 7 files on the computer with the broken dvd drive by plugging in my iPhone?
    I think you missed the definition of the Universal Serial Bus.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks

problem solved now
    Did everything work?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not having Aero has nothing to do with the graphics card, it depends on the version of Windows 7 that is installed on your computer. Two versions of Windows 7 - Starter and Home Basic - do not come with the Aero theme.

Granted, the reason that these versions do not come with Aero is because Aero does need a decent laptop with decent graphics, so are usually found on netbooks and lower-cost/older machines. But you could install Windows Starter on a top-of-the-line PC and you still would not be able to get Aero.

As far as I know there is no way to edit the theme within the Windows installation as it is. You can get third-party tools that say they can do it but I have never really trusted that type of thing, perfect hiding place for malware.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? Man, never heard about a PC able to run higher than Home Basic that cannot run Aero! The specs for all PCs I've seen that come with Home Premium far exceed what's needed.

What are the specs of your PC?

(Original post by theGeezus)
    Take out your friends dvd drive and place it in your tower untill install is finshed and then give it back to him? Ir buy a new dvd drive thry're like £20

Laptops and desktops use different types of disc drives so this wouldn't have worked.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.