The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Chemistry C4,C5,C6- June 15th

Anyone doing this exam?
Any exam tips?

Scroll to see replies

Yes!.Just do all the exam papers and study the mark schemes thoroughly. I personally find that i struggle on c5!
Reply 2
Yep, same- I just can't get to grips with moles and titrations
C4 and C6 are really easy.
Good luck!
Yes I'm doing C4 and it's really easy I find just going through topics you don't understand and writing the information on all different pieces of paper really helps as you are just focusing on that topic not everything in C4!!!!!!
hope I helped and good luck
apprantly according to the mark scheme you can actually loose about 20 marks in order to obtain a grade A* so thats getting all of either one of the 3 section questions(c4,c5,c6,) all wrong...
Reply 5
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
apprantly according to the mark scheme you can actually loose about 20 marks in order to obtain a grade A* so thats getting all of either one of the 3 section questions(c4,c5,c6,) all wrong...

:eek::eek:- I need 95% to secure a an overall a* for chemistry!
Oh right!...lol! Grr if stupid c5 didn't exist it would be so easy!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Lol it's the weird wording of the questions that confuse me

Reply 8
Anyone looking forward to year 11 and an outrageous amount of exams!
Reply 9
2-3 weeks ago.
I have a maths exam two days before C4,C5,C6
Original post by subjectman10
Anyone doing this exam?
Any exam tips?

I'm not doing this exam, however I took it in January. (We did the modules back to front, so I did C4,C5,C6 first). Here are some things I learnt from taking that exam:

1. It's good to do a lot of past papers. And after you've done them you will feel somewhat confident, however...
2. In the exam the wording is different, if you don't understand the wording, then you basically are in trouble. I knew a lot of the content and revised more for this exam than I have ever revised for any other exam. But it was the wording that let me down. There is no real way you can "revise" this, I knew all the topics. So you can only hope for the best - I don't mean that to put you off, what all I'm saying is read the question twice and make you understand it.
3. What I learnt from doing past papers is, your answer might be right and really you should get all the marks but the mark scheme says differently. So it's good to look at mark schemes. Towards the end even if you don't do the past papers because you don't have enough time, it doesn't matter, just flick through past papers and see what the mark scheme said.

Hope this helped. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by >Username<
I'm not doing this exam, however I took it in January. (We did the modules back to front, so I did C4,C5,C6 first). Here are some things I learnt from taking that exam:

1. It's good to do a lot of past papers. And after you've done them you will feel somewhat confident, however...
2. In the exam the wording is different, if you don't understand the wording, then you basically are in trouble. I knew a lot of the content and revised more for this exam than I have ever revised for any other exam. But it was the wording that let me down. There is no real way you can "revise" this, I knew all the topics. So you can only hope for the best - I don't mean that to put you off, what all I'm saying is read the question twice and make you understand it.
3. What I learnt from doing past papers is, your answer might be right and really you should get all the marks but the mark scheme says differently. So it's good to look at mark schemes. Towards the end even if you don't do the past papers because you don't have enough time, it doesn't matter, just flick through past papers and see what the mark scheme said.

Hope this helped. :smile:

Thanks.:smile:
what grades did everyone get for the c1 c2 c3 exam? Im just curious... I got a b but i need an a* on this exam... :/
Reply 13
I got A- 83%
I need A*-95% to get overall A*
Do most people get higher, lower or about the same for the second paper as the first?

I got 99% for C1C2C3, but the CA was quite a bit lower (not sure exactly what) so I need another good mark from this paper to get an A*.
Reply 15
what grades did everyone get for the c1 c2 c3 exam? Im just curious... I got a b but i need an a* on this exam... :/

Got 89% on C1,C2,C3. One mark off an A* :frown:
Feeling confident about this exam but some of the questions in C5 really throw me off...
Also, would anyone know what mark I need to get in this exam to get an A* overall? My coursework (Science in the news) was A* btw.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

I got 3 a's but only just scraped an a in physics :s-smilie: i think this ones going to be way harder though, because the questions in the biology were difficult and strange - did anybody else find that? I think it's because the exam board is changing next year. Good Luck Everyone!
Has anyone got the jan 12 paper

Reply 18
yes, I would like to look at the jan 12 paper too
Original post by The_Soul_Patch
Has anyone got the jan 12 paper

Same here :smile:

Original post by subjectman10
yes, I would like to look at the jan 12 paper too

Quick Reply

Latest