The Student Room Group

June 12 2012 aqa biology gcse???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rikathetika
Thank you very much :smile: I feel much better now. Yeah! I've been watching these videos for the past hour! Absolutely amazing, Wish I've found them out earlier!

It's ok. Glad you found them useful though :smile:
Reply 61
guys is there a chemistry and physics open yet for the new spec june exams?
Scared

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Why??? Havent you revised? :frown:
Original post by 4MYH0N3YW311
Scared

I'm panicking as well. I've revised and I know all the content in B1, but still I'm panicking.

How about we test each other.

Describe the reflex arc?
Reply 65
this is a great resource, filled with biology help

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/subjects/biology/levels/gcse

get revising is free but it requires you to log in to view the contents
I've revised the specification. All I can do is try my best now. If we're going to test each other, how about:

Describe, as fully as possible, the main differences between selective breeding and genetic modification.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ThatPerson
I'm panicking as well. I've revised and I know all the content in B1, but still I'm panicking.

How about we test each other.

Describe the reflex arc?

SAME!!! hahaa, and someone earlier asked; yes I have revised by Biology is my worst subject :|

The reflex arc is a quick path for a reaction. It bypasses the brain and consists of the neurones and the spinal cord. It can save precious time by not needing the brain's involvement! :s-smilie: (I have no idea ahaha)

Your turn; Describe the process of Fusion Cell cloning
SAME!!! hahaa, and someone earlier asked; yes I have revised by Biology is my worst subject :|

The reflex arc is a quick path for a reaction. It bypasses the brain and consists of the neurones and the spinal cord. It can save precious time by not needing the brain's involvement! :s-smilie: (I have no idea ahaha)

Fusion cell Cloning:

You take 1 egg cell from a healthy person/animal, and then you take a skin cell from the donor you want.

You remove the both nucleus' and then you put the donor nuclus into the egg cell and use an electric shock to fuse them together. After this you implant it in a surrogate mother for birth.

For future reference, the reflex arc is:

Stimulus-Receptor-Sensory Neurone - Relay Neurone(In the Spinal Cord/CNS) - Motor Neurone - Effector.

To transmit messages from i.e. the sensory-relay neurone; the electrical impulse triggers a neurotransmitter which then diffuses across the synapse.

My Question:

Name 3 ways White Blood cells fight against disease.
Reply 69
Can anyone help with vaccinations and cloning??

Original post by Jo166
Can anyone help with vaccinations and cloning??

I can help. What do you want to know?
Original post by StudyScience98
I've revised the specification. All I can do is try my best now. If we're going to test each other, how about:

Describe, as fully as possible, the main differences between selective breeding and genetic modification.

err...

Selective breeding is not in the spec I don't think. It's not in my CGP book.

Is it that selective breeding has variation and you can specifically target characteristics whereas with genetic modification you can specifically change the characteristics you want to.

(Unconscious parts of the brain can also be used)
Reply 73
Original post by ThatPerson
I can help. What do you want to know?

Errr, tissue culture and IVF(don't know if this comes under cloning?) and also the technical terms for a vaccination answer?. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Jo166
Errr, tissue culture and IVF(don't know if this comes under cloning?) and also the technical terms for a vaccination answer?. Thanks :smile:

Tissue culture is when you get plant cells, and you put them in a growth medium with plant hormones. This is a very effective method and can be used all year round.

IVF is "In-Vitro Fertilisation" is a fertility treatment. IVF is NOT Cloning. cloning produces an exact copy because only one persons genetic material is used(Asexual reproduction), whereas IVF is sexual reproduction taking place outside the human body.

This is where the womens eggs are fertilised in a lab with the mans sperm. These are then allowed to grow into an embryo(a cluster of cells). This is then implanted into the womens womb for birth.

FSH and LH Hormones are given to the donor woman to maximise egg production to increase the chance of a sucessful pregnancy.

Vaccination: This topic takes quite a bit of explaining. I'm not sure if I can say all the correct technical terms so watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnM9s8VDIs8
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
Thanks this video was great!! got my exam tomorrow, hope it goes alright

Original post by Jo166
Thanks this video was great!! got my exam tomorrow, hope it goes alright

This is the rest of the series. It has B1, C1 and P1.

http://my-gcsescience.com/Core_Science_HIU3.html
Reply 77
If the grade boundaries for an A* are 83%, I'm screwed. :ashamed2:
Reply 78
Does anyone know the grade boundaries roughly for foundation? Yeah, I am rubbish at Biology.
Original post by jwf13
If the grade boundaries for an A* are 83%, I'm screwed. :ashamed2:

I think the agreed grade boundaries are 48/60 for A* for the module (don't know about foundation though).

Apparently to teachers the exam board have raised grade boundaries this year to reduce grade inflation. :angry: lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending