The Student Room Group

C3 Rcos(x-a) question

Okay so I have learned this a few months back and trying to do a question now it has completely got me.

My first question is why does

Rcos(x-a) = R(cosxcosa + sinxsina)

I cannot see why there is a change of sign and even why the is two sins and cos'?
Reply 1
It's an identity:

cos(A+B)= cosAcosB-sinAsinB.
Reply 2
Original post by f1mad
It's an identity:

cos(A+B)= cosAcosB-sinAsinB.

let me guess , its in the formulae book and I havent bothered or even thought to look in there? haha
Reply 3
Original post by jimbo lad
Okay so I have learned this a few months back and trying to do a question now it has completely got me.

I cannot see why there is a change of sign and even why the is two sins and cos'?

This is a bit like asking why does

3+4 = 8-1

It just does
Reply 4
let me guess , its in the formulae book and I havent bothered or even thought to look in there? haha

It is.
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
This is a bit like asking why does

3+4 = 8-1

It just does

Except the former can be proved....
Reply 6
Original post by wcp100
Except the former can be proved....

only by using the latter (oe)
Reply 7

This identity is come from the rotation of the unit vectors of the coordinate system bby angle of x then by angle of a. In the plane the relation beween the coordinates of the rotated vectors and that of in the original coordinate system may be described with
a rotational matrix ( this is a linear transformation). Multiplying this matric by a vector you get the coordinates of the rotated vector.
For rotating by angle x the rotational matrix is
cosxsinxsinxcosx\begin {vmatrix} cosx & -sinx \\sinx &cosx \end {vmatrix}
For rotating subsequently by x then by a means the multiplication of the rotation matrice.
so
cosxsinxsinxcosxcosasinasinacosa=cos(x+a)sin(x+a)sin(x+a)cos(x+a)\begin {vmatrix} cosx & -sinx\\ sinx & cosx \end {vmatrix} \cdot \begin {vmatrix}cos a & -sina \\ sin a & cos a \end {vmatrix} =\begin {vmatrix} cos(x+a) & -sin(x+a) \\ sin(x+a) & cos(x+a) \end {vmatrix}
with matrix multipilication we get
cosxcosasinxsinacosxsinasinxcosasinxcosa+cosxsinasinxsina+cosxcosa=\begin {vmatrix} cosx\cdot cos a -sinx \cdot sina & -cosx \cdot sina - sinx \cdot cosa \\sinx\cdot cosa +cosx\cdot sina & -sinx\cdot sina +cosx\cdot cosa \end {vmatrix}=
=cos(x+a)sin(x+a)sin(x+a)cos(x+a)=\begin {vmatrix} cos(x+a) & -sin(x+a)\\ sin(x+a) & cos(x+a) \end {vmatrix}
From this you can read down the identities
For e.g cos(x-a) consider cos(x+(-a)) and that cos(-a)=cosa and sin(-a)=-sina
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem
only by using the latter (oe)

That's true. I fear this could lead to a very philosophical debate :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by wcp100
That's true. I fear this could lead to a very philosophical debate :smile:

:biggrin:

Quick Reply