The Student Room Group

Further Maths A Level

I am student in Year 12 and just finished my AS Exams in Maths Chemistry Biology and German. I really want to give up German, but want to apply to Oxford to do Medicine, and therefore, I really need 4 A Levels. I'm good at maths (sorry I don't mean to sound arrogant)-I think I did well in C1 and C2 modules (although not so well in S1 which is impossible!) and my teachers are saying they think I will get high A's in these modules. I am considering doing further maths A Level in one year because I like maths and want four A Levels. I was wondering what the advantages are of going down this route, and what are the risks of going down this route? Do Oxbridge not regard Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate A levels, even if I haven't taken maths A Level early? Would further maths be more beneficial to an uni application for a career like medicine or not really do very much? Is the work load much worse than other A Levels such as German etc? i would be very much be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this matter as I have to make a decision in the next few weeks
(edited 11 years ago)
Why do you need to have 4 full a-levels? Oxford only require 3 in Chemistry and Biology/Maths/Physics, which you have. Don't be put off by the fact that some Oxbridge candidates have 3+ a-levels, since it's not required and won't be part of your offer. Taking an extra a-level (especially in only one year) is unnecessary and could mean that you compromise your other grades. It will be much more important for you to concentrate on getting A/A* in your 3 a-levels since these are the only grades that your offer will be dependent on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending