Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post-graduate student, but want a change in career in 3D design.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

did an UG Psychology degree and about to finish a psychology-related MSc this year.

After a very long hard think, I don't think being a psychologist is for me.
    When I initially chose it. It was a knife edge between choosing psychology, architecture or something design related.

I chose psychology as a "safe" option, plus was put off by the seven/nine year architecture route.

After 4/5 years studying this subject, I've decided it's not for me for the following reasons.

a) Although I'm interested in how the mind works... I am less interested in working in a clinical or research capacity.

b) I am getting tired off "working with people", I prefer "working with objects / projects". I find other people draining, being an introvert and all.

c) I don't feel psychology has allowed my "creativity" or is making the most of my skill base. I feel frustrated because I have to complete a masters degree which i've paid for but want to spend this time learning 3DS max / MAYA, photoshop + painter, vectorworks, intuos 5 tablet etc instead.

d) I have a longstanding passion for 3D design and want to develop this further. I was a hobbyist 3D map designer in the nineties (teenager), technology was a bit s*** back then and there wasn't that many opportunities for employment in the games industry. I underestimated the demand for these skills. In hindsight, this was a mistake as my abilities were very advanced for that age and I could have used the last 4-5 years to take it to the next level. I convinced myself I could learn it "on the side" with psychology but so many commitments now and I'm getting older.

I thought they wouldn't bump the cost of degrees up as much as they have.
    Now I'm kicking myself for not choosing the career I want to pursue because of this "financial wall" and the fact that I've specialized in psychology. Is there anyway for someone like me to "get back on the ladder" - so to speak. I'm thinking along the lines of 3D design (games, corporate, art). I don't know if I can put myself through another 7 years from scratch nor do I think it will be desirable. Is there any shortcut, or recommended routes into this industry? Are there some online courses which are recognized by employers in this industry? Would they mind if I have university experience in another field and not computing?

Thanks,
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainOrange)
    Hi everyone,

did an UG Psychology degree and about to finish a psychology-related MSc this year.

After a very long hard think, I don't think being a psychologist is for me.
    When I initially chose it. It was a knife edge between choosing psychology, architecture or something design related.

I chose psychology as a "safe" option, plus was put off by the seven/nine year architecture route.

After 4/5 years studying this subject, I've decided it's not for me for the following reasons.

a) Although I'm interested in how the mind works... I am less interested in working in a clinical or research capacity.

b) I am getting tired off "working with people", I prefer "working with objects / projects". I find other people draining, being an introvert and all.

c) I don't feel psychology has allowed my "creativity" or is making the most of my skill base. I feel frustrated because I have to complete a masters degree which i've paid for but want to spend this time learning 3DS max / MAYA, photoshop + painter, vectorworks, intuos 5 tablet etc instead.

d) I have a longstanding passion for 3D design and want to develop this further. I was a hobbyist 3D map designer in the nineties (teenager), technology was a bit s*** back then and there wasn't that many opportunities for employment in the games industry. I underestimated the demand for these skills. In hindsight, this was a mistake as my abilities were very advanced for that age and I could have used the last 4-5 years to take it to the next level. I convinced myself I could learn it "on the side" with psychology but so many commitments now and I'm getting older.

I thought they wouldn't bump the cost of degrees up as much as they have.
    Now I'm kicking myself for not choosing the career I want to pursue because of this "financial wall" and the fact that I've specialized in psychology. Is there anyway for someone like me to "get back on the ladder" - so to speak. I'm thinking along the lines of 3D design (games, corporate, art). I don't know if I can put myself through another 7 years from scratch nor do I think it will be desirable. Is there any shortcut, or recommended routes into this industry? Are there some online courses which are recognized by employers in this industry? Would they mind if I have university experience in another field and not computing?

Thanks,
    From what i've read, you can get employed into the gaming industry with your degree in psychology, working closely with artists, animators and game designers, from there you can pick up tips and tricks from senior artists. A lot of 3d artists are self taught, so with enough practice at home and enough experience from working with them, you could apply to the art deparement.

You might even enjoy creating the minds of game characters, you have knowledge of the things that make us tick and as you may know, game companies are trying to make characters as human as possible.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.