The Student Room Group

Should I move to a new sixth form?

I am currently at a comprehensive school in year 11 and will be going into sixth form this September. I have been offered a place at a grammar school and I don't know whether I should go or not?

Regardless of where I go, I will be studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I’m predicted mostly a*s and a grades for my GCSE results and so far exams are going very well (half way there!). The grammar school is selective and therefore has much better results at a-level, yet my school is probably the best comprehensive school in the area.

I don't know if I should accept the offer or not? I know that I can do well where ever I go as I am good at studying by myself and am very dedicated/motivated with regards to revision; plus all my friends are at my current school. I also know and have the support of the teachers at my current school, whom I have gotten to know over the past 5 years. At the new school I would be just another student with no connection with any of the teachers.

Would going to a grammar school be more impressive when it comes to applying for university? The UCAS support at my school is excellent, but would universities favour a grammar school student?

I don’t want to regret this decision for the rest of my life, I have no idea what to do. Have you moved sixth forms? Advice would be much appreciated, thanks a lot!! :--)

This is my current school: http://www.johnwarner.org.uk/

This is the school I have an offer at: http://web.latymer.co.uk/

BQ: Do you have any advice for doing well at sixth form?
Reply 1
Grammar schools are only good in terms of helping you with your application to university to be completely honest. However, if you're saying that you're school is great at this, stay where you are!! Uni's are hardly going to care much WHERE you sat your A-levels if you've got (for example) 100% UMS on all 3/4 A-levels and a great application.

Having said this, grammar schools are pretty cool too. At the end of the day, you need to decide where you will feel most comfortable and the place which offers you this should be where you go..

Your decision though.. So good luck :smile:
You have to wear uniform?? **** that
Reply 3
In almost exactly the same position :/ I love my comprehensive school and don't know if I should move to the grammar school. I think it depends how much you want a change as it's good preparation for after school to have a change of environment after five years but pretty scary too! Remember that there is a load more work and pressure in sixth form so think if you can cope with added stresses of making new friends and stuff. If you've made a decision or suddenly know what to do let me know as I'm finding it so difficult to decide! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest