The Student Room Group

AQA C4 Parametric vs. cartesian

Firstly, sorry for all the questions recently!
I'm stuck (again) on this question from June 08.

" A curve is defined by the parametric equations x=4t+3 x = 4t + 3 and y=12t 1 y = \dfrac{1}{2t} \ -1 where t does not equal 0. Find a Cartesian equation of the curve"

Now, I always thought that you could rearrange both parametric equations so that they are both "t = something" and then just make them equal to each other. However, this got me the answer x34 =2(y+1) \dfrac{x-3}{4} \ = 2(y+1) which I could then simplify to x=8y+11 x = 8y +11 .

This was totally different to the mark scheme which only wanted me to rearrange one of the parametric equations and came out with (x3)(y+1)=2 (x-3)(y+1) =2 as an answer. I can't see how they got there, nor why my method is incorrect - can anyone give me a hand with this?

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by musicmedic
Firstly, sorry for all the questions recently!
I'm stuck (again) on this question from June 08.

" A curve is defined by the parametric equations x=4t+3 x = 4t + 3 and y=12t 1 y = \dfrac{1}{2t} \ -1 where t does not equal 0. Find a Cartesian equation of the curve"

Now, I always thought that you could rearrange both parametric equations so that they are both "t = something" and then just make them equal to each other. However, this got me the answer x34 =2(y+1) \dfrac{x-3}{4} \ = 2(y+1) which I could then simplify to x=8y+11 x = 8y +11 .

This was totally different to the mark scheme which only wanted me to rearrange one of the parametric equations and came out with (x3)(y+1)=2 (x-3)(y+1) =2 as an answer. I can't see how they got there, nor why my method is incorrect - can anyone give me a hand with this?

Thank you very much! :smile:

you have made a mistake on your rearrangement of y; it should be 1/2(y+1) not as you have it!!
Reply 2
x3=4t  ,y+1=12t\displaystyle x-3=4t \ \ , y+1=\frac{1}{2t}

x34=t  ,1y+1=2t\displaystyle \frac{x-3}{4}=t \ \ , \frac{1}{y+1}=2t

x3=4(12(y+1))\displaystyle x-3=4 \cdot \left(\frac{1}{2(y+1)}\right)

x3=421y+1\displaystyle x-3=\frac{4}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{y+1}

(x3)(y+1)=2\displaystyle (x-3)(y+1)=2

Not sure if this helps
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
What did you get x and y equal to in terms of t?
Reply 4
Original post by mikelbird
you have made a mistake on your rearrangement of y; it should be 1/2(y+1) not as you have it!!

You're right! Thank you! I didn't spot that :tongue:

[Edit] But if I do that, I get x3=2(y+1) x-3 = 2(y+1) which would rearrange to x3y+1=2  \dfrac{x-3}{y+1} = 2\ not (x3)(y+1)=2 (x-3)(y+1) = 2 as the markscheme says.

[Edit...again] never mind, I'm an idiot - I see what I was doing wrong :colondollar: Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest