Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marriage in Islam

Announcements Posted on
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Average Joe 1992)
    thank you for the reply, so what if I marry an athiest, and she says that she would consider converting into Islam but not right away, and that it will take her time (say, a few years) to look into the religion etc. in this case can a muslim man marry an athiest?
    Sorry to say, but it would still be impermissible. There's no guarantee she will convert and for however long you were in a marraige with her (as long as she had Atheistic beliefs) you'd technically be sinning. It's also important to understand that you can't force her to convert either. The marriage is likely to just break down at some point, trust me, I've seen it.

I honestly can't relate, because I don't understand how someone can get so attached like this. I have seen situations where women have converted to Islam (with Non-Muslim husbands) and that is a whole another level to what you're describing. But, not everything happens to what we want, we can't necessarily cherry pick our actions in regards to our beliefs. The Prophet(pbuh) once said; "You will never give up something for the sake of Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, except that Allah will replace it with something that is better for you than it." (Ahmad)

My best recommendation is to try and give her Dawah, give her some good books to read on Islam etc. and let her in her own time take the plunge upon her own conscious. If she and you were really meant to be upon Qadr (fate) then she will become a Muslim, nothing wrong with you praying for that.

And please remember;

Know ye (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children; as the likeness of vegetation after rain, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe (for the devotees of wrong). And Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the devotees of Allah). And what is the life of this world, except the enjoyment of delusion? [Q 57:20]

• 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Sorry to say, but it would still be impermissible. There's no guarantee she will convert and for however long you were in a marraige with her (as long as she had Atheistic beliefs) you'd technically be sinning. It's also important to understand that you can't force her to convert either. The marriage is likely to just break down at some point, trust me, I've seen it.[/INDENT]
    How do you know this?

I don't think its fair to say all inter-faith marriages will "break down" at some point. I've seen quite a few successful examples myself, in Muslim families as well. You dont really know well enough what the OPs relationship is like to make a comment like that.

OP, I think the main problem with this lies with culture - are the families okay with it? If they are then that usually makes it a hell lot more difficult. If she is unwilling to convert don't just end the relationship, because at the end of the day it is not a sin to marry someone outside the religion, but it is seen as a sin if you live with her without marrying her.

In my own opinion religion shouldn't dictate who you spend your life with, but everyone has different thoughts on the matter

Also its nice to see that this thread hasn't been invaded by islamaphobes all going on about how terrible islam is
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Average Joe 1992)
    Hi, i have a question,

I am aware that a Muslim man can marry a non-muslim women (ie people of the book - jews/christians). However, i would like to know is it just strictly women from judaism and christianity, what if you want to marry someone who is of no faith ie an athiest? and a follow up question, once you marry a non-muslim women, is it compulsory to convert her into a muslim (eg instantaneously before marriage or during the marriage, however long it may take)? or can she remain practicing her own religion or non-religion for that matter?

thank you, i really appreciate your answers
    Yes it's restricted to jewish, christian or muslim.
    Once you marry a non muslim woman you don't need to convert her, as long as she is a believer of the book (christian or jewish) and she brings up your children according to islam.

but of course as muslims anyway youre asked to let people know about islam, but not prester them.

I know quiet a lot of muslim men who've married non muslim but religious women.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SquaredCircle)
    I know of a lot of boys born into Muslim households who had awful awful break ups with the girls they loved because of Islamic parents. It makes me genuinely angry and I hope that Islam becomes watered down and sensible like christianity.
    I wouldn't say this is because of Islam. Islam encourages marriage and there really shouldn't be such a problem, unless yano the girls were atheist. However, it's generally cultural aspects which leads to this kind of problem. Sadly many won't be accepting of their son/daughter marrying someone purely because of their race. It's one thing which I cannot accept and this is NOT Islam, it is culture.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiLix)
    I wouldn't say this is because of Islam. Islam encourages marriage and there really shouldn't be such a problem, unless yano the girls were atheist. However, it's generally cultural aspects which leads to this kind of problem. Sadly many won't be accepting of their son/daughter marrying someone purely because of their race. It's one thing which I cannot accept and this is NOT Islam, it is culture.
    There's nothing wrong with marrying a person with a different or no faith and the fact Islam discourages is very cultish
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I think you've misunderstood what I said. I know that this verse says Muslim men can marry Jews and Christians.
    I said that I don't know of any other verse which explicitly prohibits a Muslim from marrying anyone else doe to their religious beliefs - i.e. a verse which says "You can't" marry people who believe XYZ". The one you have provided is one which says "You can marry people who believe XYZ".

One has to remember that saying "You may marry people who believe XYZ" is not equivalent to saying "You may only marry people who believe XYZ".
    Read his quote again.
    It says lawful to you in marriage are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time.

The meaning here is clear. That those mentioned are lawful for you, this would mean those not mentioned are not or Allah would not make specific reference to those of the book of scriptures.

Believing man can only marry muslim, christian or jewish women.
    Believing women can only marry a muslim man.

There is consensus on this.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G-STAR01)
    Read his quote again.
    It says lawful to you in marriage are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time.

The meaning here is clear. That those mentioned are lawful for you, this would mean those not mentioned are not or Allah would not make specific reference to those of the book of scriptures.
    What I said was:
    "I don't know of any other verse which explicitly prohibits a Muslim from marrying anyone else due to their religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs".
    That is, a verse which actually says the words "You may not marry people who believe XYZ", or "Forbidden to you in marriage are people who believe XYZ", or equivalent. Not a verse which is interpreted to mean this, but a verse which actually says it.

As I said before, when we're dealing with explicit permissions and prohibitions, the statement "You may marry those who believe XYZ" is different from the statement "You may only marry those who believe XYZ", even if you might end up interpreting them to implicitly mean the same thing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Sorry to say, but it would still be impermissible. There's no guarantee she will convert and for however long you were in a marraige with her (as long as she had Atheistic beliefs) you'd technically be sinning. It's also important to understand that you can't force her to convert either. The marriage is likely to just break down at some point, trust me, I've seen it.
    Hey, that's a bit of an unfair generalisation. I know Jew/Atheist couple who have been together for over 20 years and are happy together, despite the fact that the Jew's parents basically disowned their daughter for it.

After all, my grandma and grandpa were an interfaith couple and they stayed together???!

All I'm saying is, not everyone will hold their faith to a point where it will stop them from getting on with someone they genuinely love.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.