Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips and advice needed

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    I started to learn to drive a couple of months ago. There are just two major things that im having problems with that i could do with some tips on.

1) I find it hard to tell which speed i should be doing in a particular road. For example, i can tell when im on a single/dual carriageway and what speed i should be doing there, but when im on other roads, i never know how fast im supposed to be going. My instructor is forever telling me to speed up/slow down.. and i never see any signs!

2) When im driving in normal road position, i always seems to subconsciously drift to the right, so most of the time im driving in the position for turning right!

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve these things?

Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) You need to recognise what road you're driving on, for example: dual carriageway, residential area, ...
    Most of the time you have a sign, I've never had any problems here not knowing which speed. It might help trying to pay more attention to road signs.
    You can orientate on fellow drivers, however: be aware that most are actually breaking the speed limit. But it gives you an idea.
    Otherwise: less space, less speed - same if there's bad visibility.

2) You can use lines that divide lanes or other road markings as orientation - I did that when I started on the motorway, we positioned the car correctly and I kept in mind, where the line meets the window and easily checked it from time to time until I had a perfect lane discipline.
    You're holding the steering wheel correctly, don't you?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    2) I'm exactly the sam!e! Would love someone to tell me what do to improve
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) If there are buildings close to the road, ie a residential area, you should be at 30. if there are schools, lots of pedestrians and parked cars on the road then try 20. it's all circumstantial. also it depends on the visibility of a road. if its a wide open road you should be doing the full speed limit if the weather permits

2) steer slightly to the left...

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koji88)
    1) You need to recognise what road you're driving on, for example: dual carriageway, residential area, ...
    Most of the time you have a sign, I've never had any problems here not knowing which speed. It might help trying to pay more attention to road signs.
    You can orientate on fellow drivers, however: be aware that most are actually breaking the speed limit. But it gives you an idea.
    Otherwise: less space, less speed - same if there's bad visibility.

2) You can use lines that divide lanes or other road markings as orientation - I did that when I started on the motorway, we positioned the car correctly and I kept in mind, where the line meets the window and easily checked it from time to time until I had a perfect lane discipline.
    You're holding the steering wheel correctly, don't you?

(Original post by cfizzle)
    1) If there are buildings close to the road, ie a residential area, you should be at 30. if there are schools, lots of pedestrians and parked cars on the road then try 20. it's all circumstantial. also it depends on the visibility of a road. if its a wide open road you should be doing the full speed limit if the weather permits

2) steer slightly to the left...

thanks guys!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    2) I'm exactly the sam!e! Would love someone to tell me what do to improve
    Ha, its a nightmare isnt it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_23)
    Hi all
    I started to learn to drive a couple of months ago. There are just two major things that im having problems with that i could do with some tips on.

1) I find it hard to tell which speed i should be doing in a particular road. For example, i can tell when im on a single/dual carriageway and what speed i should be doing there, but when im on other roads, i never know how fast im supposed to be going. My instructor is forever telling me to speed up/slow down.. and i never see any signs!

2) When im driving in normal road position, i always seems to subconsciously drift to the right, so most of the time im driving in the position for turning right!

Thanks in advance
    1) Drive at 30 in a town area until you see a sign. 30 is the speed limit for places with street lights, so you can't be breaking a speed limit at 30.
    Obviously, ask your instructor what the speed limit is if you are unsure.

2) I do this too. I'd find it much easier if we could have the drivers seat next to the curb, then I could judge it properly!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2) What my instructor taught me was that wherever you look, you'll steer to it, and most cases it has been true for me, so probably your "looking" towards the centre line or the cars on the right hand lane?

Try to look straight ahead, if there is a car in front, look at the center of the car(like the interior mirror) but do not look at the car when at a bend, you might end up hitting the curb.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_23)
    Hi all

Thanks in advance
    I'm not too bad on normal roads, but I definitely have a white line magnet when I'm on the motorway! Constantly have to steer myself away from the line on my left lol.

Other problem, I suffer with that too! But I do what someone else said, drive at 30 until you see a sign.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.