The Student Room Group

3 Most Important Factors to look for in a Partner?

So ladies/gents, what would be your top 3 factors (in order of importnace) you would look for in a partner? heres mine:

1) Phyisical Attractiveness
2) Education/career
3) Personality

Call me shallow if you must hehe :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

appearance
personality
money
:smile:
Reply 2
1) He has to be attractive. I mean what if I marry him and have kids? I would never want to have ugly children, sorry but it's true. He dosen't have to be REALLY ATTRACTIVE obviously, just above average.

He has to have this look:
-Tall
-Have a fit body (can't be fat and has to be a healthy weight)
-Short hair

2) Personality. He has to be nice and occasionally do something special for me for example pay for me sometimes. OH and he just has to be funny that's the most important.

I don't like the ''popular'' guys, so he can't be popular. He can't be a loner, he must have some friends.

3) Education. He has to go to university and has to be aiming for a good future or it's NOT going to happen. Good grades are also important.
Well personality is more important than appearance in the long run.

there needs to be some sort of attraction- though for me this comes with the personality. I often end up fancying people if i like their personality.

then i would probably say....erm, be on the same wavelength? education and money arent really important, but we need to share the same sort of goals (i.e. i dont want kids, if he does then it wont work out long term)
Reply 4
Clever/good education.
Similar personality
Attractiveness.
Reply 5
Intelligence, Humour and Kindness
What men think:

"Attractiveness, beauty, sex appeal".

What women think:

"3 is not enough! Taller than me, rich, kind, acts like a gentleman, romantic, good-looking, good in bed, intelligent, respectable, well-mannered, educated, makes me laugh, loyal, optimistic, presentable, affectionate, sensitive, dresses well, confident, understanding, likes to cuddle, great kisser, tough, committed, spontaneous, has class, trustworthy, wealthy, patient, organised, fair, independent, sociable, healthy, witty, well-travelled, good cook, athletic, caring, stylish, photogenic, beautiful, works out, ambitious, laid back, musical, can be a bad boy, rugged, supportive, decent, dependable, listens well, persistent... Oh I could go on".
Reply 7
Original post by PinkyQT
1) He has to be attractive. I mean what if I marry him and have kids? I would never want to have ugly children, sorry but it's true. He dosen't have to be REALLY ATTRACTIVE obviously, just above average.

He has to have this look:
-Tall
-Have a fit body (can't be fat and has to be a healthy weight)
-Short hair

2) Personality. He has to be nice and occasionally do something special for me for example pay for me sometimes. OH and he just has to be funny that's the most important.

I don't like the ''popular'' guys, so he can't be popular. He can't be a loner, he must have some friends.

3) Education. He has to go to university and has to be aiming for a good future or it's NOT going to happen. Good grades are also important.

Oh, thank goodness for number three. I was going to ask if you were OK finding a handsome man who is thick, then having beautiful kids who were also thick. Interesting that you have placed intelligence last (an afterthought?)

Original post by im so academic
What men think:

What women think:

"3 is not enough! Taller than me, rich, kind, acts like a gentleman, romantic, good-looking, good in bed, intelligent, respectable, well-mannered, educated, makes me laugh, loyal, optimistic, presentable, affectionate, sensitive, dresses well, confident, understanding, likes to cuddle, great kisser, tough, committed, spontaneous, has class, trustworthy, wealthy, patient, organised, fair, independent, sociable, healthy, witty, well-travelled, good cook, athletic, caring, stylish, photogenic, beautiful, works out, ambitious, laid back, musical, can be a bad boy, rugged, supportive, decent, dependable, listens well, persistent... Oh I could go on".

You have just described me perfectly, imso. Except for the rich part....and good looking, good in bed...erm....well dressed....good cook..athletic and photogenic. But a lady can't have everything (not that many women would be interested in me, well, they are, but whether I'll be interested them is another matter...).
Original post by River85
You have just described me perfectly, imso. Except for the rich part....and good looking, good in bed...erm....well dressed....good cook..athletic and photogenic. But a lady can't have everything (not that many women would be interested in me, well, they are, but whether I'll be interested them is another matter...).

I was making a point. Women have a long list of qualities that they expect men to fulfil. Men just expect women to be beautiful, sexy and attractive.
Not gender specific but if the relationship is to be successful I would say:

1 - Attraction
2 - Trust
3 - Sexual compatibility

Attraction doesn't necessarily mean looks either, just that you're attracted to each other.

Sexual compatibility means I think you both have to be on the same page sexually.

That's what I think anyway. I'd say that's what I'd go for in that order.
Well apart from the obvious physical and emotional attraction which I believe is a prerequisite to any relationship, I look for the following qualities in a women:

1) Compassionate

It's incredibly endearing when a girl seems to genuinely care about a lot of things.

2) Honest

This is a must, I see no point sharing my life with someone who isn't being completely themselves, and therefore cannot be trusted.

3) Mature

I don't think this one needs much explaining. Being mature, well-rounded and open-minded can only be good for a relationship.
1) Looks

2) Sincerity

3) Balls.
Reply 12
1) Trust
2) Personality
3) Friendship/Attractiveness.
Original post by shezshez
1) Trust
2) Personality
3) Friendship/Attractiveness.

Attraction has to come first imo, because all the other things can apply to family members or friends.
What men think:

What women think:

lolololololololol
Reply 15
Shame I don't actually fail in the physical attractiveness :/
Reply 16
...rather alarmed by some of the answers above.

Intelligence - not bothered whatsoever about academics, just awareness and emotional maturity
Creativity
Self-confidence - quiet confidence, not the faux uni boy banter ****
Reply 17
Intelligence - doesn't have to be the straight A student, but someone with a wide area of interests so we can have interesting conversations

Sense of humor similar to mine

Kind

(if there was a fourth it'd be attractiveness :wink:)
I was making a point. Women have a long list of qualities that they expect men to fulfil. Men just expect women to be beautiful, sexy and attractive.

quite a stereotypical remark to be fair. I am man, believe me i look for lots more than the three you have described.
So many non-answers. "Attractiveness" and "Personality"? Really? These aren't factors you look for. These are vast fields within which we all have our own preferences. Everyone wants someone with what they consider to be good looks and a good character.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending