Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

1950: UFO attack on Washington DC.

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Wa...._UFO_incident

Of course, no-one here will remember this, but the press jumped on it at the time. An actual UFO attack on Washington National Airport and Anders Airforce base, which was shut down at the time of the attack. Apparently, no-one knew where they came from or anything. The U.S. army were ordered to shoot them down; this lasted a whole week. The hideline ran 'fiery objects over-run capital'. No explanation of what was going on was given to the public.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting...when I read about these kinds of events, that are not seen by some crazy guy on a hill near an airfield and his dog, it does make you wonder what's really going on.

I'm not the conspiracy theory kind of person...but there are some odd things (like this). Doesn't sound like the Soviets would have been testing any new technology, I'm not sure even today we can make planes which travel as fast as reported in that article.
    The lack of sonic boom is potentially a problem though.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I personally am interested in the Rendlesham Forest incident.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just been reading about the former Lockheed chairman who, on his death bed, admitted that there had been Alien space craft crash and/or land and that is where the majority of our stealth plane technology came from. Even said that there are black operation things going on that can do much more; travelling across the stars and such.

Not one for conspiracies myself really but bit weird how a guy of his status would come out and say that before he died.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    "An actual UFO attack"

:teehee:

Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt that "we're alone" in this big ol' Universe of ours, but I can't take such stories seriously.

"one such story reported that "jet pilots have been placed on a 24-hour nationwide 'alert against the flying saucers' with orders to 'shoot them down' if they ignore orders to land.""

Yes, that's right, start an inter-galactic war with an unknown alien species who could possibly communicate in an entirely different way to us, therefore being unable to understand said orders to land, simply because they're flying around and a couple of people are ****ting themselves. ****ing Americans, that's their answer for everything. "Hey, look at that! We best shoot it".

"Both groups felt that an enemy nation could deliberately flood the U.S. with false UFO reports, causing mass panic and allowing them to launch a sneak attack."

Could you be any more paranoid? "It's the communists, man. They're going to kill us all!!1!11!1!!!1!!!!11!"
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)
    I've just been reading about the former Lockheed chairman who, on his death bed, admitted that there had been Alien space craft crash and/or land and that is where the majority of our stealth plane technology came from. Even said that there are black operation things going on that can do much more; travelling across the stars and such.

Not one for conspiracies myself really but bit weird how a guy of his status would come out and say that before he died.
    All sounds very Stargate etc. :beard:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    "An actual UFO attack"
    You've instantly thought that it means aliens (although that's what's implied). UFO just means unidentified flying object. If this isn't a case of it, then what is? They may or not be 'aliens', but they're certainly unidentified, they're flying, and they're objects.

Yes, that's right, start an inter-galactic war with an unknown alien species who could possibly communicate in an entirely different way to us, therefore being unable to understand said orders to land, simply because they're flying around and a couple of people are ****ting themselves. ****ing Americans, that's their answer for everything. "Hey, look at that! We best shoot it".

"Both groups felt that an enemy nation could deliberately flood the U.S. with false UFO reports, causing mass panic and allowing them to launch a sneak attack."

Could you be any more paranoid? "It's the communists, man. They're going to kill us all!!1!11!1!!!1!!!!11!"
    Or, OR, maybe, just MAYBE, this was during the Cold War...? And the President, rather than assuming like you have that it was an Alien Invasion, was probably more concerned about it being new Soviet technology? Thus a shoot-down order was, actually, probably the best option, given the fear of nuclear attack after America's own test on Japan.

I think you've made a fundamental error in assuming it was 'aliens' to start with, whilst mocking that very idea.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CUFCDan)
    You've instantly thought that it means aliens (although that's what's implied). UFO just means unidentified flying object. If this isn't a case of it, then what is? They may or not be 'aliens', but they're certainly unidentified, they're flying, and they're objects.
    The term "UFO" has become pretty much synonymous with aliens, so you can't really blame me for connecting the two.

Or, OR, maybe, just MAYBE, this was during the Cold War...? And the President, rather than assuming like you have that it was an Alien Invasion, was probably more concerned about it being new Soviet technology? Thus a shoot-down order was, actually, probably the best option, given the fear of nuclear attack after America's own test on Japan.

I think you've made a fundamental error in assuming it was 'aliens' to start with, whilst mocking that very idea.
    Yeah, it was during the Cold War (near the start of it), and America was suffering from extreme paranoia during this time. McCarthyism was one of the worst social situations to happen to modern America, and personally I don't know how you can defend it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The term "UFO" has become pretty much synonymous with aliens, so you can't really blame me for connecting the two.
    Well, I don't think it has, so I can. There's a fundamental difference in the name, so I don't think mocking the post is smart when there was no blatant 'omg Aliens!!1!' vein running through it.

Yeah, it was during the Cold War (near the start of it), and America was suffering from extreme paranoia during this time. McCarthyism was one of the worst social situations to happen to modern America, and personally I don't know how you can defend it.
    Okay, so you misinterpret my post now... if I defended McCarthyism, I didn't know it. My point was that the 'shoot down call' would probably not have, in the President's mind, started an 'intergalactic war' but he was rather more concerned about new Soviet technology.

Overall my point was not taking to task your points about America's paranoia, rather the whole premise you based it on that flying objects MUST be aliens and thus the whole story is useless. No one said it was, and in America's mind it probably had more to do with a Soviet attack; call this paranoia if you will, but I think it was not so much paranoia, but plain old realistic.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CUFCDan)
    No one said it was, and in America's mind it probably had more to do with a Soviet attack; call this paranoia if you will, but I think it was not so much paranoia, but plain old realistic.
    Or probably not. The reports said that some of the UFOs disappeared completely whenever the US jets got off the ground, and then suddenly came back when they landed back down. Another report said that the UFOs were so fast (7200MPH) that the jets couldn't keep up. The pilots were describing them as 'saucers'. If this was Soviet technology, we haven't seen anything like it since, at least not until 2002 when it happened again at Anders airforce base.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Any species which was advanced enough to get themselves to Earth would not behave in an illogical way. Why would they want to start randomly attacking an airfield? If their desire was to wipe out humanity then I'd imagine they'd have already done their homework. I imagine they'd have little problem in doing so. If their intention was to simply make contact then they'd not do it with violence.

This is why this story has nothing to do with aliens. It's far more likely a complete fabrication or at the very least an extreme exageration.

Clearly aliens do exist in our universe. I highly doubt any have ever visited Earth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh when will a UFO story not include a link to Wikipedia??!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    Clearly aliens do exist in our universe.
    Oh, dear God.

EDIT: My bad, misread...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Any species which was advanced enough to get themselves to Earth would not behave in an illogical way. Why would they want to start randomly attacking an airfield? If their desire was to wipe out humanity then I'd imagine they'd have already done their homework. I imagine they'd have little problem in doing so. If their intention was to simply make contact then they'd not do it with violence.

This is why this story has nothing to do with aliens. It's far more likely a complete fabrication or at the very least an extreme exageration.

Clearly aliens do exist in our universe. I highly doubt any have ever visited Earth.
    My point exactly. I'd expect more from a civilization sufficiently advanced to visit us - like, maybe, satellite imaging capabilities rendering low-altitude reconnaissance flights pointless. If they were trying to attack us, we wouldn't know about it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Oh, dear God.
    I don't get what's absurd about that statement? Seems more wild to believe that there wouldn't be. 200 - 400 billion stars in our galaxy and anywhere up to and over 500 billion galaxies in the universe..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what's absurd about that statement? Seems more wild to believe that there wouldn't be. 200 - 400 billion stars in our galaxy and anywhere up to and over 500 billion galaxies in the universe..
    Is this a joke? I can never tell on TSR, some of the beliefs that are aired make me nauseous at the state of mankind, due to the collosal twatiness of some of the users.

EDIT: But this is still true, just not applied to this thread, yet.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically certain that all the **** people attribute to UFOs (here meaning ALIENZ!!11, as opposed to just unidentified aircraft) is either the result of science natural phenomena or people.

I'm sure there's life out there somewhere in the universe, in whatever form, I'm also pretty sure we won't be having any contact with it in a long time, if ever.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Is this a joke? I can never tell on TSR, some of the beliefs that are aired make me nauseous at the state of mankind, due to the collosal twatiness of some of the users.
    I think you're the joke mate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think you're the joke mate.
    ****... I read the original statement wrong...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    ****... I read the original statement wrong...
    lol phail

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.