Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is Britain soo rubbish at sport?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It is utter bull to suggest England's cricket team is not world class. There is no team they could play and not be expected to beat. And you can only beat who's put in front of you. It's largely forgotten that the WI's side of the 80s and the Aussie side of the 90s had sod all opposition... They are World number 1 in both Test and T20 and within the top 2 or 3 of the 50over game.

Dominated F1? Alonso is one man who won the championship twice - and did so with a team based in England. British drivers have won it an equal amount since then. The most successful team of the last 3/4yrs is an English one, albeit with Austrian money.

They are not the best team in the world at Test or T20.
    A great test match side will be able to beat ANY team home and away, just like the sides that I have already mentioned did on a regular basis.
    England went to Dubai and took an absolute battering from Pakistan, a poor quality side, depleted of their best players, and they got whitewashed.
    They went to Sri Lanka, drew with them. Sri Lanka being a team that had not won a test match since Murali retired.
    T20, yes they won the last world cup, but over a consistent period of time, the South Asian teams have dominated at international level. An example, Pakistan have reached at least the semi finals of all T20 world cups, winning one of them and finishing runners up in the other.

Until England prove themselves all around the world, they can not be called the best in the world.

And I will call it right now, they will lose to South Africa in the upcoming Test series and they will not retain their T20 world cup
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Neil Robertson would be a little miffed that you're cavalierly ignoring him and his country...

But so what if it's more local than anything else? Football, golf, rugby et al were only here at one point too...
    Well it doesn't really seem appropriate to say it imo as the UK is still the only country where it features significantly, although hopefully that will change as its getting more popular in China.

Snooker practically has only a small selection of noticeable players from overseas, like Robertson from Australia or Drago from Malta. I've never heard of any Spanish or French snooker players for example.

Its like how I wouldn't find it appropriate to call the US the dominant country for American football either, I mean sure there some other countries which have US football leagues but they pale in comparison to the funding and coverage that it gets in the US so its pretty apparent the US would turn out on top. Its not like basketball, baseball, football/soccer, cricket, athletics, martial arts etc where there are lots of countries which have an active interest in them.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I really don't have any clue as to whether we really are all that bad at sports globally speaking, but I will say that given we're one fifth the size of the United States in terms of population, we can't really expect too much. There's only 60 Million of us, as long as we're 'above average', I don't see what's to complain about :dontknow:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Because it's a points based system... nothing to do with opinions... but come on. Can you honestly say England is a better team than Argentina, France or Italy?
    If england was to play those 3 teams 100 times. I honestly think we would beat Argentina and Italy 65-70 times out of 100, drawing about 10.

France is a tough one as they are in good form atm but even then, England really doesn't lose that many games as people seem to make out.

We don't concede a lot of goals, so our problem isn't our defence, It's simply that we like to just.... do enough. We might score 1 or 2 and think meh, job done.

Then people seem to get on the teams back saying things like "oh, we only beat sweden by 1 goal we're ****e". I mean come on.... since about 2010 we've lost 3 games out of 20+ games and that was to Holland, Germany (the controversial disallowed goal) and an in-form France.

Even when we beat Spain people we're negging.

Cut the team some slack.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Because it's a points based system... nothing to do with opinions... but come on. Can you honestly say England is a better team than Argentina, France or Italy?
    Italy: definitely, look at the world cup,they drew with New Zealand and Paraguay and lost to Slovakia, their best player is Balotelli

France: Maybe, look at the world cup again, they lost to South Africa and Mexico and went home with 1 point

Argentina: maybe.They got further than us but only because they got a goal that was offside against Mexico, and they lost 4-0 to Germany, we lost 4-2
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably stems from the poor handling of sports people at that stage where they make the jump from being amateur to profesional. For football especially, the player market is so saturated with already established british and foreign players that its difficult for a young player to break through. If you look at some of the best players in the world today, they were given the opportunity to play at the highest level when they were very young and subsequently adapted to play that way throughout their career. Often young english lads will be sold on from academies or loaned to lower league teams. By the time they start to play regular 1st team football they may be 23/24. By then its too late to adapt as younger players will be aiming to reach their peak around this age.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    britain is ok at sport but not one of the greats. hold certain respect in the world but then again it always seems that britain aren't seen as worldbeaters or one of the big ones. Is there too much expectation on britain? Perhaps so, but maybe rightly so, given its history and dedication to various sports and its infrastructure/investment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, South Africa is good at Rugby and Cricket, and possibly other sports too because they teach kids in school of how to play it. The high school that I went to in RSA told us that sports was compulsory just as taking an academic subject. This was the same through-out the country. If we didn't pick a sport and go to it, we would get a detention. The main summer time sport was Cricket and the main winter time sport was Rugby. Training was every monday and wednesday or tuesday and thursday for approximately 2-3 hours after school and the matches would be on Saturday against other schools or teams. By the way this is on top of the standard PE lesson that we had.

When I arrived in the UK, sport wasn't a major thing in school. You had compulsory PE and any OPTIONAL clubs you took after school. That's about it really. Of course, if you go to a sports school, it will vary.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in the UK, sport isn't as big as academic during school years, so the majority of kids won't know if they are really good at a sport. This could also be down to the fact that UK weather is crap, and kids will get ill left, right and centre, or the fact that you don't have to pay school fees for public schools in the UK.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.Ahmed)
    They are not the best team in the world at Test or T20.
    A great test match side will be able to beat ANY team home and away, just like the sides that I have already mentioned did on a regular basis.
    England went to Dubai and took an absolute battering from Pakistan, a poor quality side, depleted of their best players, and they got whitewashed.
    They went to Sri Lanka, drew with them. Sri Lanka being a team that had not won a test match since Murali retired.
    T20, yes they won the last world cup, but over a consistent period of time, the South Asian teams have dominated at international level. An example, Pakistan have reached at least the semi finals of all T20 world cups, winning one of them and finishing runners up in the other.

Until England prove themselves all around the world, they can not be called the best in the world.

And I will call it right now, they will lose to South Africa in the upcoming Test series and they will not retain their T20 world cup
    Have you had your head in the sand for the last three years bro?
    This current form is a minor blip, yet we are still ranked 1st in the world and before that and since 2009 our record was-
    Beat West Indies 2-0
    Beat Australia 2-1
    Draw South Africa 1-1
    Beat Bangladesh 2-0
    Beat Bangladesh 2-0
    Beat Pakistan 3-1
    Beat Australia 3-1
    Beat Sri Lanka 1-0
    Beat India 4-0

In none of those series were England ever under any serious threat, and English bowlers and batsmen have dominated the individual rankings and I've lost count of how many matches we won by an innings. Whether or not this current squad is legendary is a matter of debate and opinion, but to say that England isn't the current best test side in the world is just silly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The rainy weather i guess
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    er scotland beat australia in australia yesterday at rugby, england have done it too recently, wales won 6 nations, we pumped aussies in he last ashes,andy murray 4th best tennis player in the world with more comming through robson,watson,broady,golding,
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do we? Unless by 'we' you mean 'our media' I can't see that being true.
    Um, yes. Have you not seen the Rugby team
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Um, yes. Have you not seen the Rugby team
    Our rugby team only concentrates on rugby therefore they're rubbish...?

If we as a country only concentrate on certain sports then how do we have the world's 3 best triathletes? How do we fill the top ranking slots of golf? Of squash? Have the world #1 taekwondo fighter, have numerous light/middleweight boxers that are world class, have drivers capable of winning world championships, have the world's best sailors, some of the world's best rowers, shooters, archers and gymnasts.

Yeah, sounds like we only 'do' cricket, rugby and football, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaleffect)
    Even though we've invented most of these modern sports such as football, tennis, cricket, rugby etc.

Serious answers please.
    Wtf?

Number 1 at cricket
    Consistently top 4 at rugby
    have the world no 1 at golf
    by far the best at snooker and darts
    consistently produce champion boxers
    I hear we're also pretty good at squash and badminton, and ok at tennis
    2 of the best drivers in formula one
    top 10 at hockey and football
    we're supposedly brilliant at water sports like sailing and rowing

We're even pretty decent at sports we didn't invent and barely even play, like ice hockey, baseball, softball, basketball.

I challenge you to come up with another country that is so good at so many sports. There simply aren't any.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    England are the fourth best international team in Europe ahead of Euro 2012, according to Fifa's latest world rankings.

Roy Hodgson's side has moved up one place, from seventh to sixth, after successive 1-0 friendly victories over Norway and Belgium.

Spain have retained top spot, while Germany and the Netherlands are third and fourth respectively.
    Uruguay are second, while Portugal have dropped five places to 10th.

Croatia and Denmark are the other two European sides who occupy the top 10, while Italy (12th), Russia (13th) and France (14th) sit outside.

The Republic of Ireland, who open their Euro 2012 campaign against Croatia on Sunday, are 18th in the world.

Poland, despite moving up three places, are the lowest-ranked team in Euro 2012 in 62nd, while fellow host nation Ukraine are 52nd.

Uruguay's position is an all-time high for the South Americans, while fifth-placed Brazil and seventh-placed Argentina make up the rest of the top 10.

The Fifa world rankings are compiled every month, with ranking points accumulated according to results, the importance of the matches played and the strength of opposing teams.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18341905

Great news
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Portugal a country with a population of only 10 million have been a much better football nation and knocked England out every time over the last decade.

Since 1966 England have only reached the semi finals twice,not so great for a country that has football as its main sport.Plus, England are rubbish at football.They can't even play beautiful football.Snorefest! I would much rather lose and try to play more attractive than watch this s**t! Embarrassing.When was the last time there was a world class English manager?

World number 1 in cricket thanks to a bunch of South Africans and a great foreign coach.

Fred Perry was the last British tennis player to win a Grand Slam in 1936, says it all.

Little New Zealand are more successful and better in rugby.

Apart from F1 I can't think of any other world sports ,the British are great at or have dominated.
    Portugal are much better than England? Please elaborate on how they qualified with ease.

Oh, wait...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Because we only concentrate on specific sports
    The opposite is true which my be why the national football team sucks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Wtf?

Number 1 at cricket
    Consistently top 4 at rugby
    have the world no 1 at golf
    by far the best at snooker and darts
    consistently produce champion boxers
    I hear we're also pretty good at squash and badminton, and ok at tennis
    2 of the best drivers in formula one
    top 10 at hockey and football
    we're supposedly brilliant at water sports like sailing and rowing

We're even pretty decent at sports we didn't invent and barely even play, like ice hockey, baseball, softball, basketball.

I challenge you to come up with another country that is so good at so many sports. There simply aren't any.
    LOL
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Even though we've invented most of these modern sports such as football, tennis, cricket, rugby etc.

Serious answers please.
    An example of how women don't understand sport.

England is the number one ranked cricket team in the world.

All of the BEST THREE golfers in the world are British.

You are stupid
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We do suck at football I tell you. I really can not see England even getting passed the first stage of the Euro cup and I really do not want to say that but it's highly likely.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 17, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.