The Student Room Group

A levels for an architecture degree? MONSTERTHREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Architecture-er
Bear in mind you could always keep with History AND Product Design, and then simply not revise for History at the end, universities only see your top three grades :smile:

That isn't true I'm afraid.

Universities receive all results.
Original post by PQ
That isn't true I'm afraid.

Universities receive all results.

Oh really? Thanks for the correction, I thought it was like that to remove bias against students unable to take 4 A-levels, so I guess universities see all grades and then only give offers capped within 3 A-levels?
Hi there!

I don't personally know too much about Product Design at A Level, but Art, Maths and History were the A Levels that I took and I took Further Maths for AS. Just to give you a little bit of background, I finished my Part 1 at Cambridge and received offers from Sheffield, Bath and Cardiff.

There were some people in my year that managed to get into Cambridge without Art, but I personally would recommend it. I felt like the skills I had learnt in History were incredibly useful for me (so much so that I wrote a thank you email to my history teacher in the middle of exam period to thank him for preparing me for what was needed at uni), especially since we had to write quite a few essays in our exams and for coursework also. On the other hand, it was the subject I found the most difficult due to the number of facts and details you had to memorise for the exams.

I wouldn't do 4 A Levels as at the end of the da, it's not really needed and it's probably worth devoting the extra time you'll get to work on your portfolio and to concentrate on getting awesome results for your 3 subjects.

Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by RadwanBakkali
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have just done a careers day in school. I want to pursue a career path based on architecture. However, I have already done my GCSEs (Art, Graphics, French and Computing) and now need to choose my A-Levels. I am really unsure as to what to pick. Which is more useful for architecture out of Art or Graphic design? And also, is maths essential for the course? Also, I heard from a talk that Physics is good but I don't know whether to priorotise this above my other A-Levels. I've read all the comments which have helped, but also made me even more unsure. Please help!!

Thanks,
unicorn_potato :smile:
In the future I'm thinking about possibly going into architecture (not certain though).

So I was wondering is an Art A-level needed for most university architecture courses? I have seen on some university websites that they only need a portfolio so is an Art a-level necessary?
Original post by Actuvia
In the future I'm thinking about possibly going into architecture (not certain though).

So I was wondering is an Art A-level needed for most university architecture courses? I have seen on some university websites that they only need a portfolio so is an Art a-level necessary?

Hey, I'm currently doing Art A level and I will be applying for architecture in September. In my opinion, Art A level is really useful to have if doing architecture at university because you can prepare your portfolio in the lessons. At the moment for A2 coursework, my topic is Architecture so I can study many artists in great detail etc. and do lots of drawings and such in my sketchbook. I also take maths, history and product design but I might drop history in September.

Universities such as Bath do not require a portfolio but it all depends on which ones you want to apply to.

Hope I helped,

Matt
UPDATE: So in history, we are learning about the French Revolution, Crimean War etc. and for the coursework we are doing causes of WW1. In product design, I am making an architectural model (redesigning the sixth form). I really think that product design is more useful than history at this moment but we need to carry on subjects until July 8th.

I am still undecided really but I think I might drop history,

Has anyone done art AND product design for A level when applying for architecture at Russell Groups/Top universities for architecture e.g. Bath?
Original post by TSRMatt
Hey, I'm currently doing Art A level and I will be applying for architecture in September. In my opinion, Art A level is really useful to have if doing architecture at university because you can prepare your portfolio in the lessons. At the moment for A2 coursework, my topic is Architecture so I can study many artists in great detail etc. and do lots of drawings and such in my sketchbook. I also take maths, history and product design but I might drop history in September.

Universities such as Bath do not require a portfolio but it all depends on which ones you want to apply to.

Hope I helped,

Matt

You did, thank you very much, is it true that the workload is very big as well? (sorry I've heard this a lot and was curious - if you took art GCSE what is it like in comparison?)
Original post by Actuvia
You did, thank you very much, is it true that the workload is very big as well? (sorry I've heard this a lot and was curious - if you took art GCSE what is it like in comparison?)

The workload with most subjects from GCSE to AS is quite big but not as big as the jump in workload from AS to A2. Having just completed AS art, yes, it is quite big but I suppose if you're willing to work hard then it won't be as difficult if you get what I mean! Try to enjoy your work, that's what I do :smile:
[QUOTE="unicorn_potato;65979815"]
Original post by RadwanBakkali
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have just done a careers day in school. I want to pursue a career path based on architecture. However, I have already done my GCSEs (Art, Graphics, French and Computing) and now need to choose my A-Levels. I am really unsure as to what to pick. Which is more useful for architecture out of Art or Graphic design? And also, is maths essential for the course? Also, I heard from a talk that Physics is good but I don't know whether to priorotise this above my other A-Levels. I've read all the comments which have helped, but also made me even more unsure. Please help!!

Thanks,

Hi unicorn_potato,

Very glad to hear you have also attended a careers day to broaden your horizons for answers, there is no set answer on what subjects are best, however it is more of what you can take from the subjects, the skills to help you when you do architecture. As every school is different and the content and teaching there is no gurantee as to what set of subjects are best to get into architecture.

You have done a good job of breaking down the subjects already and what you can take from it, maybe start looking into what universities you are interested in, and their requirements, then begin working backwards from there :smile:

Not sure how helpful this will be towards you, but during the course of applying for degree the assumption was I was going for achitecture due to the combination of subjects. I did, fine art, maths, physics and psychology. In my opinion from speaking to friends on the course here, maths seems to be very helpful and the type of art, that can depend on what there is in your portfolio cause that is something else that will be factored in. Also if you are not sure free feel to always ask, and for the universities that you are interested, definitely attend an open day and speak to the students themselves they will give you the most honest opinions as they are on the course. :smile:

Hope this has helped :biggrin:
Jay
Original post by nnblccz
I'm currently studying Architecture at the Manchester School of Architecture and we've hardly mentioned any form of maths or physics! I think the most useful A-levels would definitely be Art, then maybe something like product design, because you have to make models and use CAD etc. I also think History or Geography would be incredibly useful, as you will learn about the history of art/architecture and will probably have to write some essays. You'll also do some technologies, which are very very geography related. I did Art, Maths and Physics at A-level and nothing that I learnt in Maths or Physics have helped me so far with architecture!

Oh ok, so you don't need them once you are in university, but do you need them to get in to universities? Thanks for writing that, just seen it now and it is the best answer I've had as teachers are very confusing, and can't say the same answer at my school. So far I'm looking at Art, History and Graphic design, would these get me into uni studying architecture?
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="Ravensbourne;66138237"]
Original post by unicorn_potato

Hi unicorn_potato,

Very glad to hear you have also attended a careers day to broaden your horizons for answers, there is no set answer on what subjects are best, however it is more of what you can take from the subjects, the skills to help you when you do architecture. As every school is different and the content and teaching there is no gurantee as to what set of subjects are best to get into architecture.

You have done a good job of breaking down the subjects already and what you can take from it, maybe start looking into what universities you are interested in, and their requirements, then begin working backwards from there :smile:

Not sure how helpful this will be towards you, but during the course of applying for degree the assumption was I was going for achitecture due to the combination of subjects. I did, fine art, maths, physics and psychology. In my opinion from speaking to friends on the course here, maths seems to be very helpful and the type of art, that can depend on what there is in your portfolio cause that is something else that will be factored in. Also if you are not sure free feel to always ask, and for the universities that you are interested, definitely attend an open day and speak to the students themselves they will give you the most honest opinions as they are on the course. :smile:

Hope this has helped :biggrin:
Jay

Thank you, that has given me a bit more of an idea as to what to do next. Just out of interest, how difficult is fine art in comparison to the normal Art GCSE? Is it a big step up?

Thanks,
Is art needed/essential for studying architecture at uni? I f not is art AS good enough?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Actuvia
Is art needed/essential for studying architecture at uni? I f not is art as good enough?

Most courses will require an art A level or similar subject. If you don't have art A level then you're more likely to be asked to produce a portfolio to assess your artistic ability.

If you have the option to take Art A level and want to become an architect then it would be silly not to take the subject. If the option isn't available and you're struggling to produce a good portfolio without support and guidance from teachers then taking a year after A levels to take a 1 year art foundation diploma at a local college is an excellent route - the course is set up specifically to assist students to explore different types of art and produce a portfolio.

I've asked for this to be moved to the Architecture and the Built Environment forum. If you look around the forum you'll see a number of threads asking similar questions about which subjects are the best preparation for an architecture degree.
Why is everyone saying Art?Best combination for Architecture (from Bath Uni)Mathematics/PhysicsArt and Design/Design and TechnologyGood combination of Mathematics/Sciences with Arts/Humanities preferred, so this is my advice on subjectOne of Art or Design TechnologyOne of Mathematics or PhysicsOne Humanity/Language from History, English Literature, Spanish, German or French
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Engineering444
Why is everyone saying Art?Best combination for Architecture (from Bath Uni)Mathematics/PhysicsArt and Design/Design and TechnologyGood combination of Mathematics/Sciences with Arts/Humanities preferred, so this is my advice on subjectOne of Art or Design TechnologyOne of Mathematics or PhysicsOne Humanity/Language from History, English Literature, Spanish, German or French

And yet the most common A level subjects/grades for Bath are

Art A*
Maths A
Physics A
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bath-b16/architecture-4-years-9000-k100

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/architecture/entry-requirements/
"We would encourage you to take an art foundation year before studying architecture if you do not have suitable qualifications in art and design."
"Preferred subjects: We prefer traditional A level subjects
"Mathematics/Physics and Art and Design/Design Technology are highly desirable"

So even for Bath (which is unusual in preferring maths/physics) a suitable Art or Design qualification (or if that isn't possible then a portfolio) is a must. Even the RIBA brochures are trying to dispel the myth that maths or physics is required or desirable for architecture: https://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Education/CareersInArchitecture/ThinkArchitecture.pdf

If you LIKE maths and physics then they're a good choice alongside art...but it should be based on students preferences and not on some misguided idea that maths/physics are required/recommended for most architecture courses.
It's been my dream pretty much all my life to become an architect. I'm planning on studying French, maths, photography and law (for one year). Are these appropriate choices that will allow me to study architecture in university?

I've done some research on uni websites and such, but I figured I should get some opinions from actual architecture students.

And, out of curiosity, what did you study at college if you're studying / have studied architecture?

Edit: Another thought to cross my mind: is photography even considered an art subject? I know it's ART, but it doesn't seem as demanding as other more 'arty' subjects (you know, like art / fine arts...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Not 100% sure but wouldn't physics be a good shout?
Reply 98
My friend also wants to be an architect. She is going to take physics, maths, further maths and DT at AS level. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheFame
It's been my dream pretty much all my life to become an architect. I'm planning on studying French, maths, photography and law (for one year). Are these appropriate choices that will allow me to study architecture in university?

I've done some research on uni websites and such, but I figured I should get some opinions from actual architecture students.

And, out of curiosity, what did you study at college if you're studying / have studied architecture?

Edit: Another thought to cross my mind: is photography even considered an art subject? I know it's ART, but it doesn't seem as demanding as other more 'arty' subjects (you know, like art / fine arts...)

Architecture courses are looking for drawing ability and 3D design skills.

Photography wouldn't offer the chance to develop and demonstrate those skills directly. You'd likely need to build up a portfolio (and develop your drawing skills) in your free time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending