Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Which political party do you support (if any) and why?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am a Conservative but a fairly left wing one.

I believe in things such a gay marriage, abortion, lords reform. However I believe in the value of hard work and achievement - successful people should not be punished by the state because less successful people resent them.

I am broadly eurosceptic in that I would like Britain to leave the EU - however I do not hate Europe and I think it is important we have strong diplomatic and trading relations with them.

I believe that in a civilised society there should be a safety net for people to fall back on, aka the welfare state. However I believe this should be kept to a minimum and should be of best value to the taxpayer.

I believe in a free market - but I also understand why some people resent bankers and corporations but the government does not have the right to interfere.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adsm_inamorta)
    We are part of the European Union.
    yes, but we aren't in the Euro.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I meant European Union. I thought that would have been clear if you knew anything about UKIP's policies?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be the conservatives if they actually grew a pair and started standing up for what they claim to believe in. Currently UKIP.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    labour- " education!education!education!". ..lol
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adsm_inamorta)
    I meant European Union. I thought that would have been clear if you knew anything about UKIP's policies?
    Do UKIP think we are in the Euro? I wouldn't put it past some of their members...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour because I feel they represent the needs of the people more so than the Tories
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    Do UKIP think we are in the Euro? I wouldn't put it past some of their members...
    UKIP want to leave the European Union. So obviously they don't want anything to do with the Euro. I'm glad they dont. Independence is good as we don't want countries dragging us down.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative but closer to the Daniel Hannan 'Libertarian wing'. I've done lots of work for the party at a local level helping the party to keep control of the council, but I do believe that nationally the party needs to be stronger.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a Conservative because I believe that A) their economic ideology is one that best suits human nature B) that traditional values need to be restored in society asap before it gets completely ****ed up! C) their current economic policy may be harsh but such is life and this is what britain need.

Personally, i relate most to the Thatcherite branch of the Conservative party

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofiloco)
    I am a Conservative because I believe that A) their economic ideology is one that best suits human nature B) that traditional values need to be restored in society asap before it gets completely ****ed up! C) their current economic policy may be harsh but such is life and this is what britain need.

Personally, i relate most to the Thatcherite branch of the Conservative party

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    A) Your view of human nature is very bleak if you think that it is in our nature not to help those who need our help, and that our position in society should not be determined by our ability, but based upon how much our parent's make.

B) 'traditional' values like slavery, racism and homophobia? I suppose you want the good old days of the Empire back?

C) It's the exact opposite of what Britain needs. The evidence is all there to prove this, whether it be data on private expenditure, unemployment, borrowing costs or whatever, it all points to the same thing; we need to up spending!

Conclusion: You clearly have no clue whatsoever what you are talking about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they're on the ballot i will vote for the smaller far left parties such as TUSC or Respect Coalition, if not i would vote labor however not out of choice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yung Mon£y)
    None. They all a bunch of posh dumbass white boys with no idea of the real world.
    Because a real prime minister would be such a hard man like yourself...

My ideal party would be a coalition of green and ukip, which would be a bit like nazi communism but could potentially work
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Because a real prime minister would be such a hard man like yourself...

My ideal party would be a coalition of green and ukip, which would be a bit like nazi communism but could potentially work
    I really don't think it could - where can you see the common ground? Greens and eurosceptics maybe, but the other issues UKIP takes stands on seem completely incompatible with the Greens.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    I really don't think it could - where can you see the common ground? Greens and eurosceptics maybe, but the other issues UKIP takes stands on seem completely incompatible with the Greens.
    Stranger things have happened. A green party with a much needed halt to immigration, and putting British interest firsts would be a truly joyous occasion.

For me at least...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bunch of lying sods the lot of them. My councillor tried to get me to become a member of Labour, i thought about it but then thought why do i want to be apart of their lies?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stranger things have happened. A green party with a much needed halt to immigration, and putting British interest firsts would be a truly joyous occasion.

For me at least...
    From an overpopulation perspective though, the Greens are much more concerned with it on a global scale, and would likely propose solutions such as increasing foreign aid to educate women, provide contraception and possibly also abortion, and reduce the financial reliance of older people on their grown-up children so that they didn't need to have as many and could manage pregnancy more easily. However, any increase in foreign aid would be rejected by UKIP as against British interests, as they are more interested in short-term Britain than long-term global issues. It's these fundamental differences in ideology and priorities that make them very unlikely ever to be able to work together.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    From an overpopulation perspective though, the Greens are much more concerned with it on a global scale, and would likely propose solutions such as increasing foreign aid to educate women, provide contraception and possibly also abortion, and reduce the financial reliance of older people on their grown-up children so that they didn't need to have as many and could manage pregnancy more easily. However, any increase in foreign aid would be rejected by UKIP as against British interests, as they are more interested in short-term Britain than long-term global issues.
    I wouldn't say that these British interests are short term- they are for insuring British superiority in the market and decreasing a steadily growing rise of immigration. Not that there's anything wrong with immigration so long as they are given time to "westernize".

Giving aid to any country is just going to make them more reliant on aid. Think of all the money and commitment given to Africa, yet things still don't look like they're getting better. A good friend of mine went to Uganda as part of the red cross. a small easily extinguishable fire started in a local school. Rather than put out the fire, locals demanded that the group take photos in an effort to raise more money.

Given the many problems in the UK it makes sense to put our problems first before helping others. Its all very good trying to save your brothers marriage, but not to the extent of ignoring your daughters growing heroin addiction.

It's these fundamental differences in ideology and priorities that make them very unlikely ever to be able to work together.
    I'm sure they said that about the big 3. I'm sure they'll find enough mutual benefits to overcome some disagreements.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that these British interests are short term- they are for insuring British superiority in the market and decreasing a steadily growing rise of immigration. Not that there's anything wrong with immigration so long as they are given time to "westernize".

Giving aid to any country is just going to make them more reliant on aid. Think of all the money and commitment given to Africa, yet things still don't look like they're getting better. A good friend of mine went to Uganda as part of the red cross. a small easily extinguishable fire started in a local school. Rather than put out the fire, locals demanded that the group take photos in an effort to raise more money.

Given the many problems in the UK it makes sense to put our problems first before helping others. Its all very good trying to save your brothers marriage, but not to the extent of ignoring your daughters growing heroin addiction.
    But Britain's superiority in the markets cannot be protected whilst serving the environment. Britain's superiority comes from the fact we are able to exploit both human and natural resources in countries with vastly lower levels of development to us. If people in these countries gained a decent standard of living, British businesses would no longer be able to exploit them to make profit, and inevitably would become less powerful on the global economic stage along with other powers such as the U.S. and China.

However, this inequality is also what fuels many environmental problems. As I've said already, it is responsible for overpopulation. A lack of investment means these countries, where a huge amount of the production process occurs, cannot afford to move to environmentally friendly infrastructure. And land in distant countries providing many of our goods means that it inevitably has to be transported, normally by air, across huge distances.

We cannot continue to exploit foreign land to protect British interests whilst saving the environment. We can choose to do protect the interests of big business in Britain, we can choose to protect the environment, but we cannot have both.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of any that are worth voting for. thought lib dems might have been worth it in the last election but they've proven themselves to be bull****ters just like the rest. I've never voted and if things don't change I never will.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.