Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New to hair (Not literally)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, excuse the weird title. :P I'm very, very new to any sort of hair-care and what not so some of this could be very embarrassing. But if you ever have embarrassing questions, then TSR > people you know.

Right, basically I'm an Asian male, and my hair is like, ridiculously boring. I've kept it washed and what not, I'm not that weird. However, literally all I have been brought up to do is have it cut to a "three-all-over" so it's basically all the same size, very short.

I'm not sure how I'd describe my hair, I'd say it's very thick and when it does grow large, it grows all mushy and all over the place, haha!

So I was wondering, if you friendly people at TSR could help me out here. Perhaps suggest some good looking hair styles to me for relatively thick hair.

This might also seem weird to you guys, but how would I actually get the hairstyle I want? I mean, I assume that I'd go to a stylist but how would I describe what I want? There are so many hairstyles out there that could fit one description. I can't just say spiky and cool-looking now can I?

I have before, tried to apply defining wax to my hair to just make it generally cool looking, but it looked very weird. I think my hair might have been too thick.

Any other advice in general would be much appreciated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you go to somewhere that has a god selection of magazines, I've seen lots of magazines that are literally just full of hairstyles (they usually have titles like HAIR and other obvious things!) I assume they do them for men as well as women - so maybe look out for them, have a flick through and take the pics of ones you like to a good hairdresser? I'd say splash out on a fairly good, expensive hairdresser the first time so you knwo they're well-trained and can advise you professionaly on what would work best with your hair & facial shape, then once you have a style you can go to cheaper places for maintenance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamburglar)
    Hey guys, excuse the weird title. :P I'm very, very new to any sort of hair-care and what not so some of this could be very embarrassing. But if you ever have embarrassing questions, then TSR > people you know.

Right, basically I'm an Asian male, and my hair is like, ridiculously boring. I've kept it washed and what not, I'm not that weird. However, literally all I have been brought up to do is have it cut to a "three-all-over" so it's basically all the same size, very short.

I'm not sure how I'd describe my hair, I'd say it's very thick and when it does grow large, it grows all mushy and all over the place, haha!

So I was wondering, if you friendly people at TSR could help me out here. Perhaps suggest some good looking hair styles to me for relatively thick hair.

This might also seem weird to you guys, but how would I actually get the hairstyle I want? I mean, I assume that I'd go to a stylist but how would I describe what I want? There are so many hairstyles out there that could fit one description. I can't just say spiky and cool-looking now can I?

I have before, tried to apply defining wax to my hair to just make it generally cool looking, but it looked very weird. I think my hair might have been too thick.

Any other advice in general would be much appreciated.

I know a few Asian guys in the same position as you lol
    I would say, grow it out a little bit before going to get your hair cut.... Even if it looks mushy.. just grow it as much as you can so the hairdresser can work with it better and give you a "cooler" hairstyle

When you say "cool and spiky"... What hairstyle are you EXACTLY wanting? ... Just curious LOL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Todd)
    If you go to somewhere that has a god selection of magazines, I've seen lots of magazines that are literally just full of hairstyles (they usually have titles like HAIR and other obvious things!) I assume they do them for men as well as women - so maybe look out for them, have a flick through and take the pics of ones you like to a good hairdresser? I'd say splash out on a fairly good, expensive hairdresser the first time so you knwo they're well-trained and can advise you professionaly on what would work best with your hair & facial shape, then once you have a style you can go to cheaper places for maintenance
    Sorry I took a while, didn't see your post. Thanks for your advice, I guess I can look in a few magazines. I'm just worried whether my hair will work with certain hair or not, and then I'd look like a moron. :/

(Original post by G-Dragon567)
    I know a few Asian guys in the same position as you lol
    I would say, grow it out a little bit before going to get your hair cut.... Even if it looks mushy.. just grow it as much as you can so the hairdresser can work with it better and give you a "cooler" hairstyle

When you say "cool and spiky"... What hairstyle are you EXACTLY wanting? ... Just curious LOL
    Haha, I'd say it's a cultural thing. Alright thanks, I'll try to let it grow but it does look quite awful when it's just normal, haha.

I'm not sure exactly, something that just looks cool and creative and not like a carpet I guess. That'd be a great start!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamburglar)
    Sorry I took a while, didn't see your post. Thanks for your advice, I guess I can look in a few magazines. I'm just worried whether my hair will work with certain hair or not, and then I'd look like a moron. :/

Haha, I'd say it's a cultural thing. Alright thanks, I'll try to let it grow but it does look quite awful when it's just normal, haha.

I'm not sure exactly, something that just looks cool and creative and not like a carpet I guess. That'd be a great start!

Hmm... What are your opinions on a mohawk?... Like not crazy rocker mohawk LOL.... Sorta short, slim and neat... do you know who taeyang is? Check him out if you don't... Go for somethin like that.
    My friend who also had the "mushy" hair problem got the mohawk and it looks so cool and sophisticated at the same time!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.