Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language AS Coursework

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey

I was wondering what the best pieces for english language coursework A.S. level coursework would be? I really want to get the highest mark available and need some advice, thanks also, what do examiners look for in the commentary writing?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...maybe you should check out MarkedbyTeachers.com, TSR's sister site. It has the largest library of essays in the UK.

They've got over 181,000+ coursework, essays, homeworks etc.. all written by GCSE, A Level, University and IB students across all topics. You get access either by publishing some of your own work, or paying £4.99 for a month's access. Both ways give you unlimited access to all of the essays.

All their documents are submitted to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software, so it can't be misused, and the site's used by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

What's more, you can take a look around the site and preview the work absolutely free. Click here to find out more...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

My name's Dale and I'm re-starting my coursework for AS Level English Language. I'm re-starting as I started it a few months back but due to family problems I got an extension. I'm an Online A Level Student.

I'm writing a piece to entertain (An autobiography piece) and to inform (An album review on Adele's '21' album)

I'm doing these as I'm quite the entertainer and nothing else appealed to me (My tutor suggested an album review and I like music)
    I think importantly write in the way you enjoy. Secondly do lots of research.

If you want to buddy up let me know.

Dale
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ello =)

Ive just finished A2 but i remember and enjoyed AS a little better. I wrote to entertain as well - one piece was basically the beginning of a horror story but it was set out in the form of a play (that wasn't what i intended but my teacher told me to set it out like that :rolleyes:)

For the other piece i did a film review on 'Chaplin' - 1992 for Empire magazine which i really enjoyed in the end =) The key is to go with something that you're genuinely interested in. I'm a horror freak and that film is one of my favourites so writing them was actually fun

That probably sounds so geeky but its true
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they basically look for things that are original. The review has been done to death, so while you can still do really well on it it will stand out less.

I just finished the A2 course but I remember that I did a Hogwarts Prospectus as a companion to the books as a piece to entertain. Personally I found that really fun to do, as I included things like letters from the head and wrote in the style of Dumbledore.

For my second piece I wrote a political speech for the labour party concerning the rise in tuition fees and it was really topical at the time and something I felt strongly about.

Basically make sure they are completely different, write about something you care about and try to be original and you won't go wrong.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did AS English Language last year. I did a newspaper editorial for adults and then a short story for children. Their respective purposes were to persuade and to entertain/educate.

Our teacher recommended that to get the highest marks, go for two very different audiences and have two very different purposes. I imagine by now you're probably sick of being told this :P

Good luck - I really enjoyed doing mine. Definitely a fun coursework
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the sound advice. I guess with me being an Online student I'am missing out on the whole group interaction/classroom environment. To be honest I'm a little lost on what and where I start with it all

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.