The Student Room Group

What are you going to do in the summer?

^Title^

As for me, the subjects that I chose for A-levels are: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I've already finished C1 and hoping to finish C2/C3 by the end of summer (I know most of you will be like what the f*ck you won't have the motivation to do that) but I will and have. For those that say "sleep, bang out PS3/Xbox, sleep some more, go partying" I just can't stand that, it's like just rotting away over summer and once you start A-levels it will be such a big change from doing nothing to - arguably - the most intensive period of your education.

Any ways, enough from me.

Why the negs..... :frown:

haters be hatin' :troll:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to work... at the Olympics :biggrin:
Reply 2
**** all
Reply 3
I'm working for quite a bit of it (yay for getting more money!) as I need to save for my trip to Kenya next February. I'll most likely be going to Belgium in August to stay with my dad and I'm going to London for a few days at the end of August. Other than that, getting prepared for sixth form (as in equipment, clothes) and hopefully having fun with friends!
Reply 4
Well I don't have much planned. Wanted to go backpacking across the Lake District but really can't afford it as I'm in the poor house at the moment. I plan to lose some weight and get a bit fitter over the summer, might as well take advantage of all the free time. Aside from that I have a festival I'm going to in the end of July which should be good. Aside from that, not much really.
Reply 5
Watch the Euro's and Olympics! Sleep, play guitar, play sports. Just relax in general :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by `God
once you start A-levels it will be such a big change from doing nothing to - arguably - the most intensive period of your education.

I hate to crush your dreams, but speaking as someone who has just finished his A-level exams, this statement is far from true. I've done nothing for 2 years and still heading for good grades, where as I actually had to work for my GCSEs. I did Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A-level and an AS in Chemistry if you were interested.
Well I have a summer job so I'm aiming for 1hour+ gym time at least every other day, 2hours+ revision/reviewing at least every other day and I don't want to 'waste away' playing video games but I do want a nice break so I'll probably make some attempt at going to the beach or something :wink: But my ideal is gym, work, revise!
Well, I'm going to bewail over the revision I should've done, seeing as I still haven't revised yet. Then, yeah.
Reply 9
Original post by `God
^Title^

As for me, the subjects that I chose for A-levels are: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I've already finished C1 and hoping to finish C2/C3 by the end of summer (I know most of you will be like what the f*ck you won't have the motivation to do that) but I will and have. For those that say "sleep, bang out PS3/Xbox, sleep some more, go partying" I just can't stand that, it's like just rotting away over summer and once you start A-levels it will be such a big change from doing nothing to - arguably - the most intensive period of your education.

Yeah.. Although i'm not doing the same A-levels as you (Biology, Chemistry, PE and psychology) i've already started light work (passively reading over some books) and i think i'm going to do some more after my GCSE's are done..

Should be fun.. LOL

And good luck for next year :smile:
Reply 10
Work, read philosophy books, hope i get into Birmingham Uni. Got two holidays - one to Magaluf with my mates the other to Zante with my mum and sister. However the one to Zante is ages away from the party town! Going to cream fields then hopefully another festival as well :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Negaduck
I hate to crush your dreams, but speaking as someone who has just finished his A-level exams, this statement is far from true. I've done nothing for 2 years and still heading for good grades, where as I actually had to work for my GCSEs. I did Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A-level and an AS in Chemistry if you were interested.

pretty sure you've done that the wrong way round.
> Euros
> Olympics
> PS3
> Daytime TV
> w*nking
> And a ****load of drinking

Put it this way, once you leave uni you might get two weeks of summer holiday every year, so this might be one of your last chances to enjoy such a long break right all the way up to retirement. Just chill, dude.
Original post by `God
^Title^

Would you care to scrimmage intellectually? Descry who can do C1-C3/C4 the fastest?

I haven't embarked upon any heuristic learning for Mathematics, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it. First one to win is bestowed a behemothic e-cookie?
Reply 14
I would recommend spending it productively; I'm kind of the similar to you in the sense that I don't really see the point/fun of partying, getting drunk and playing video games all day (call me boring :s-smilie:.)

I am probably going to be spending a lot of time at home, so I want to make sure I stay fit and healthy by exercising. I would also suggest trying to discover a new hobby, or working on a passion of yours, i.e. something you enjoy. Spending too much time working can become really boring and tedious, and you may regret it next Autumn.

Personally, I just recently discovered Esperanto, an auxiliary language designed to be learnt quickly and easily, so will hopefully be working on that as it is something that interests me and I want to develop a new skill.

PS A job and/or voluntary work is always a good idea if you can't find anything else to do.
Those of you who are planning to get ahead on your A-levels because they're such hard work are going to be wasting your time. Yes, they are harder than GCSEs, but a) your teachers will appreciate that so you'll be learning a lot more in class, b) you'll only be doing 4 or 5 subjects so that offsets the extra work, and c) if you don't relax at some point you definitely WILL lose concentration at a later stage. And this comes from someone who's just about to sit A2 exams. Enjoy the summer, make the most of the time you have, and do the kind of thing you never would otherwise have time to do (write a book, make a film, go on a long trip somewhere, etc). If your idea of fun is sat inside with textbooks, then so be it, but trust me you'll be wasting your time.

Personally my plans for the summer are a break away with my mates at the start of July, a two-week trip to the Dominican Republic to do charity work with my Scout group, maybe get a job, do a bit of reading in preparation for my law degree (unlike A-levels, degrees DO require you to read ahead - it's pretty much mandatory) and then fill the spare time with guitar, football, sleeping, and whatever else takes my fancy.
Reply 16
I'm going to start rowing with my mum in the summer :biggrin:
Because apparently we don't spend enough time with each other :s-smilie:
Original post by `God
^Title^

Unless you're actually taking the C2/C3 exams early, there's no point at all. If you're good at maths you won't need the extra time. If you're going to take them early, then fair enough, but don't overdo it - an hour a day is enough.

As for your A-levels - F. Maths as one of four? I thought it has to be a fifth option? I'm doing the same + German as we had to choose four + further maths..

Last summer (after GCSEs) I spent the time building a computer, playing tennis/piano, and then I made a few trips to the library to take out non-fiction books related to subjects of interest (mainly Philosophy books). My *plan* was to do C3 and M1 over summer.. hehe.. didn't do anything.
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Would you care to scrimmage intellectually? Descry who can do C1-C3/C4 the fastest?

I haven't embarked upon any heuristic learning for Mathematics, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it. First one to win is bestowed a behemothic e-cookie?

You are so weird. I'd work on that over summer.
Reply 19
Revision, dissertation.

Quick Reply