Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA Redox questions involving equilibria

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is for unit 5 chemistry.

I just dont understand them. Theres nothing about the equilibrium positions of redox reactions in the AQA nelson thornes book unless im missing it somewhere.

But for example, the question.

The cell represented below was set up.
    Pt|Fe2+ (aq), Fe3+ (aq) || BrO3- (aq), Br2(aq)|Pt

(iii) Deduce what change in the concentration of Fe3+(aq) would cause an increase in the e.m.f. of the cell. Explain your answer.

Here is the EMF of the cells in question

Fe3+(aq) + e- --> Fe2+(aq) ########################## +0.77
    2BrO3- (aq) + 12H+ (aq) + 10e- --> Br2(aq) + 6H2O(l) ####### +1.52
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shafski)
    This is for unit 5 chemistry.

I just dont understand them. Theres nothing about the equilibrium positions of redox reactions in the AQA nelson thornes book unless im missing it somewhere.

But for example, the question.

The cell represented below was set up.
    Pt|Fe2+ (aq), Fe3+ (aq) || BrO3- (aq), Br2(aq)|Pt

(iii) Deduce what change in the concentration of Fe3+(aq) would cause an increase in the e.m.f. of the cell. Explain your answer.

Here is the EMF of the cells in question

Fe3+(aq) + e- --> Fe2+(aq) ########################## +0.77
    2BrO3- (aq) + 12H+ (aq) + 10e- --> Br2(aq) + 6H2O(l) ####### +1.52
    If the concentration of Fe3+ increases, then the emf for that half cell will decrease as when written as a reduction potential Fe3+ + e- -> Fe2+ + 0.77V, an increase in Fe3+ concentration will cause an accumulation of negative charge as more electrons are lost. The emf of the cell is calculated by E = E(red) - E(ox) so as the emf of iron becomes more negative, the overall emf increases , sorry that's probably badly explained but it makes sense to me lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew769)
    If the concentration of Fe3+ increases, then the emf for that half cell will decrease as when written as a reduction potential Fe3+ + e- -> Fe2+ + 0.77V, an increase in Fe3+ concentration will cause an accumulation of negative charge as more electrons are lost. The emf of the cell is calculated by E = E(red) - E(ox) so as the emf of iron becomes more negative, the overall emf increases , sorry that's probably badly explained but it makes sense to me lol

Oo that makes sense, I can apply that to such questions. I understand it mainly, but just the last part I don't get. I've seen that formula somehwere, maybe in class when I wasn't paying much attention, the E = E(red) - E(ox) but how can you apply it to a question. What is the E(red) and E(ox) in a equation for example.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shafski)
    Oo that makes sense, I can apply that to such questions. I understand it mainly, but just the last part I don't get. I've seen that formula somehwere, maybe in class when I wasn't paying much attention, the E = E(red) - E(ox) but how can you apply it to a question. What is the E(red) and E(ox) in a equation for example.
    I don't know if you need to know it for your exam board, I do CCEA. Emf of cell = (Emf of half cell being reduced) - (Emf of half cell being oxidised)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.