Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Downloads vs CDs

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: How do you get your music?
    Download
    51.72%
    CD
    48.28%

• 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys;

Well, I was just wondering, but, how do you prefer to buy your music (or any other means of getting music), download them or buy them on CD?

Just wondering, also, why?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey guys;

Well, I was just wondering, but, how do you prefer to buy your music (or any other means of getting music), download them or buy them on CD?

Only fools pay for music these days.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by importunate)
    Hence the reason why I said "Or getting music by any other means"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hence the reason why I said "Or getting music by any other means"
    Well its simple then. I download it for nothing, for no other reason than im cheap and have no morals when it comes to not paying huge companies money for a product that has cost them very little to create.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys;

I like my CDs and LPs.

However I don't use a CD player to listen to music, usually copy those CDs onto my iTunes.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by importunate)
    Only idiots would be happy with an inferior product, when CD's are soooo cheap these days.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I prefer CDs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Usually I download it for free but if I'm going to pay for it I will buy the CD. I wouldn't pay for a downloaded track.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends. If it's a band or artist I love, I have no problem forking out for a CD. Similarly, if it's someone I've been meaning to check out for a while and I see a CD of theirs at a decent price, I'll buy it.

If it's a band I'm taking a punt on, especially if they're newer, I tend to download their stuff by other ways.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I buy my music as CDs whenever possible, because I like my music uncompressed. I doubt downloads will be my primary mode of obtaining music again until lossless files become the norm.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I buy vinyl if its cheap enough or I really love the band... I buy CDs from bands I either really like or are just a small band who probably need money. I usually just DL it for free though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I buy vinyl for 'old' bands (the sort of stuff I can find in Oxfam or the local record store for next to nothing). If I just want a single track I'll download it from iTunes or whatever, but I mostly buy CDs. There's just something nice about having a physical collection of music that I can look at.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Paying for DOWNLOADS is the dumbest thing ever invented. Genius though because people actually do it...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    vinyl for full albums, downloads for single songs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People who pay for downloads are idiots. Although I'm sure this will be said many times throughout the thread.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love having an actual CD, so whenever possible I buy CDs. However, when I can't, I usually pay to download them from iTunes or Amazon, I know it's stupid but I just feel guilty getting something for nothing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.