Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What anatomy books do different medical schools advise students to use?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What anatomy books do different medical schools advise students to use? i.e. Gray's anatomy, thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would say you will need a copy of grays anatomy as this is an excellent resource (it is not just a tv show)
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a look here for some suggestions. You really don't need to buy anything until you actually start at uni though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UPPSY)
    I would say you will need a copy of grays anatomy as this is an excellent resource (it is not just a tv show)
    yeah, I've got that one

(Original post by Helenia)
    Have a look here for some suggestions. You really don't need to buy anything until you actually start at uni though.
    cheers and aha, anatomy is a subject I'm interested in, so why wait till uni to start studying it? :') I was just wondering what books are actually recommended by med schools (mainly due to the fact I'm really bored of my half my current a-level textbooks containing wrong/ambiguous content!)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grey's or Clinically Oriented. The former is a bit easier to track down the information needed for first year, but doesn't have a lot of the stuff needed for second year.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    At UEA you need Integrated Anatomy. Many people also say they need a second book alongside it as it's too technical, but I get along with it fine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen tell you to buy clinical anatomy but I threw it out and got Grays, it's just in another league. Far far easier to visualise and much easier to read.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    At Cambridge it tends to be either Gray's for Students or Clinically Oriented Anatomy, and then McMinn's for dissections.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    As everyone is saying, Gray's Anatomy for Students is great

There's also neuroanatomy which isn't covered in Gray's but (at King's) constitutes quite a considerable chunk of 2nd year. Crossman & Neary's Neuroanatomy is brilliant for this. It's only about 200 pages and is divided into very manageable sections so you can quite comfortably just read it from start to finish.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, if you're wanting to study before you get to medical school (:confused:) the best subject is probably anatomy. As has been said, a book like Gray's is probably the best bet because I think Moore's might be too clinical for learning gross anatomy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    To be fair, if you're wanting to study before you get to medical school (:confused:) the best subject is probably anatomy. As has been said, a book like Gray's is probably the best bet because I think Moore's might be too clinical for learning gross anatomy.
    cheers! and the reason is because I'm doing my a-levels a year early so will have a year before I start, where I might as well be studying something related to what I want to do

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.