Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's gonna happen in 20+ years time?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, been thinking this for ages and just thought i'd see everyone else opinions

Just now, all the major rock/heavy metal bands are nearly in their 60's, let's face it - they are not always gonna be bringing out new material in twenty years time. After they finally retire or whatever, what is going to be left? Black Sabbath; mid 60's, Metallica - mid 40's, KISS - mid 60's, Iron Maiden mid 50's etc.
    After all these bands finally move on, who do you think will be left to keep rock/heavy metal alive?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't despair, there are good bands out there. Just as Iron Maiden were fairly underground in their time - we have great bands underground in our time.

Metal and Rock will never die as long as you are prepared to keep an open mind to new bands.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of these bands are dining out on old material anyway, as good as that material is.
    New stuff will come along, if it didn't there would be no music industry

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theandyguthrie)

Metal and Rock will never die as long as you are prepared to keep an open mind to new bands.

yeah but there hasnt been any band lately that have caught my eye in the way that i think they are going to be huge one day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And also the sooner kiss call it a day the better

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    None of those bands have released any decent new material, some no new material at all, so what would their demise matter? Music is kept alive by the fact it is living and artists inevitably come and go, each generation building on the last
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    None of those bands have released any decent new material, some no new material at all, so what would their demise matter? Music is kept alive by the fact it is living and artists inevitably come and go, each generation building on the last
    Metallica are making a new album just now, just made one with Lou Reed ( i think that's his name), KISS have just finished a new album which is due out next month, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are still touring so they are still pretty active.

I just personally don't think the new material bands are brigning out is as good as the old stuff.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    None of those bands have released any decent new material, some no new material at all, so what would their demise matter? Music is kept alive by the fact it is living and artists inevitably come and go, each generation building on the last (except for the current generation, which smashed, pillaged and laid siege to everything from which it was inspired).
    Fixed it for you.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Fixed it for you.
    Guerilla-style marketing with the internet etc gives rise to more **** music achieving notoriety than it normally would have. Doesn't change the fact that the current generation has made some great music
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalupyerass)
    Metallica are making a new album just now, just made one with Lou Reed ( i think that's his name), KISS have just finished a new album which is due out next month, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are still touring so they are still pretty active.

I just personally don't think the new material bands are brigning out is as good as the old stuff.
    The collaboration between 'tallica and Lou Reed was heavily slated. Sabbath have only just reformed. Iron Maiden and Motörhead are still going strong though, and their music hasn't changed a great amount since they first started releasing records.

Not much is happening in the heavy metal scene at the moment. Steel Panther seem to have revived glam/hair metal, but they're not exactly up to the level that Mötley Crüe were.

There are bands of all genres still going strong. The reason that they're not really heard of is because they're not as ground-breaking as the bands that formed back in the 60's/70's were.

If you're that into metal then you'll never have any problem finding new music
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion (and perhaps a controversial one at that), the greatest advances/ground-breaking material in music will be electronic-based. It's the genre with most room for growth and experimentation.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.