Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are there two types of neurones (myelinated and non-myelinated)

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm just wondering why there are two types of neurones as stated in title.... shouldn't all the neurones in the body be myelinated, seeing as myelinated neurones carry impulses at faster speeds than unmyelinated neurones..?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi the ones that are not myelinated are only found in parts of the body where fast responses are needed mainly in peripheral nervous system, the non myelinated allow for quicker impulses

Hope that helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsd09)
    Hi the ones that are not myelinated are only found in parts of the body where fast responses are needed mainly in peripheral nervous system, the non myelinated allow for quicker impulses

Hope that helps

But i thought that the ones that are myelinated conduct impulses faster due to the nodes on Ranvier (saltatory conduction?)
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsd09)

Hope that helps

(Original post by James A)
    But i thought that the ones that are myelinated conduct impulses faster due to the nodes on Ranvier (saltatory conduction?)
    James A is right here: myelinated neurones carry impulses quicker than non-myelinated neurones due to the Nodes of Ranvier and saltatory conduction, as the impulse 'jumps' between the Nodes of Ranvier, meaning that less of the axon membrane has to be depolarised / repolarised / hyperpolarised.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Hi guys, I'm just wondering why there are two types of neurones as stated in title.... shouldn't all the neurones in the body be myelinated, seeing as myelinated neurones carry impulses at faster speeds than unmyelinated neurones..?
    just a guess, but my thoughts are that it's due to evolution... (as most things commonly are), in some areas, where immediate responses aren't necessary or the distance the impulse travels is small, then having unmyelinated neurones wouldn't be disadvantageous, hence they stuck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this is a useful collection of videos.. keep watching next video untill the nerve ones finish (about 4/5 I think)

http://www.khanacademy.org/science/b...my-of-a-neuron
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    James A is right here: myelinated neurones carry impulses quicker than non-myelinated neurones due to the Nodes of Ranvier and saltatory conduction, as the impulse 'jumps' between the Nodes of Ranvier, meaning that less of the axon membrane has to be depolarised / repolarised / hyperpolarised.

(Original post by tdx)
    this is a useful collection of videos.. keep watching next video untill the nerve ones finish (about 4/5 I think)

http://www.khanacademy.org/science/b...my-of-a-neuron
    Cheers lads, I also realised that myelinated neurones are found in the sensory/motor neurones (because they travel long distances)

Non-myelinated neurones on the other hand are found in the brain where only short distances have to be made...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.