Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Myths about lifting..

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started lifting at 15 when I was 5'7, I'm 18 now and 5'11 and a half.

It doesn't stunt your growth don't be silly now.

Like mentioned earlier, working out earlier can probably increase your potential height, albeit in a minor way due to the increased testosterone production in an extremely anabolic period of your life.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Your mate is not a scientific study of whether or not lifting weights stunts growth and does not prove your statement. For starters, a 16 year old male has a lot more growing to do so the fact that he is "shorter than everyone else" is completely invalid.
    Well there's about 300 16 y/o's in my year and he is one of the shortest. Im not saying that the reason behind this is definitely due to powerlifting I just personally believe it was heavy deads and squats. However this is an unreliable study but I do believe he stunted his growth due to his weight to lifts ratio.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    Well there's about 300 16 y/o's in my year and he is one of the shortest. Im not saying that the reason behind this is definitely due to powerlifting I just personally believe it was heavy deads and squats. However this is an unreliable study but I do believe he stunted his growth due to his weight to lifts ratio.
    Espically if he took some steroids like creatine or somethign.

3 of my mates started creatine, 1 is now in hospital from liver failure, the other 2 are dead.

Creatine, not even once.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickL245)
    Espically if he took some steroids like creatine or somethign.

3 of my mates started creatine, 1 is now in hospital from liver failure, the other 2 are dead.

Creatine, not even once.
    Creatine , a steroid ?
    No.

It was probably the binge drinking which caused liver cirrhosis to your mate.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    ..So how short is he? 5ft 2?

Also, how short is he compared to the rest of his family?

You don't know anything about his genetics or nutrition and yet you are making the assumption that it must be all down to weight.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lifting DOES stun your growth

You want to do LIGHT WEIGHTS to tone up

Carbs before bed WILL make you fat

If you lift weights then sleep, the lactic acid will burn away your muscle as you sleep

You need to lose 1lb a week MAXIMUM otherwise you WILL lose muscle

you NEED to lift heavy to gain muscle

• 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    ..So how short is he? 5ft 2?

Also, how short is he compared to the rest of his family?

You don't know anything about his genetics or nutrition and yet you are making the assumption that it must be all down to weight.
    How do you know I dont know?

Becuase I do...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Becuase I do...
    Because....you said that the basis of your assessment was on the fact that he is one of the shortest in your year not that he is unusually short for his family.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liftorrot)
    Creatine , a steroid ?
    No.

It was probably the binge drinking which caused liver cirrhosis to your mate.
    looks m8 u can either believe me or not but creatine has massive impacts on your body and your not ment to consume as much as people take.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    looks m8 u can either believe me or not but creatine has massive impacts on your body and your not ment to consume as much as people take.
    Clearly wasn't drinking enough water...probably one of those beta **** that has a can of coke a day because his pathetic parents didn't do their job and bring him up properly to eat and drink right. I would slap him clean out!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    the creatine monster
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was one of the shortest kids in my year right up until I was 16-17. Now I'm 5'9", still short but nothing wrong with my height.

Around 16-17 was also when I stopped doing sport. I assume non contact team sports were stunting my growth, right?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many people appear taller after doing weights if they work they pecs and back, as it improves their posture, which is why some people claim to be taller. Also this is why bodybuilders seem to big.
    However, overall lifting does have an affect on growth during puberty, and i would not recommend that you put yourself through unnecessary risk as you have your whole life to lift, but only about 10 yrs to grow.
    I would recommend exercises such as push ups, squats, planks, but stay away from lifting.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UrbanBoy)
    However, overall lifting does have an affect on growth during puberty, and i would not recommend that you put yourself through unnecessary risk as you have your whole life to lift, but only about 10 yrs to grow.
    Prove it.

If you have no proof, then don't make claims. Make choices based on what you know, not what you don't know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You're full of ****.

Its a product that aids in muscle growth, steroid it is not.

Becuase I do...
    You're full of **** aswell.

One short arse powerliftng in the gym doesn't mean it stunted his growth. There are plenty of short arsed lifters in the world, they're called manlets.

Now go and find something worthwhile.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    in this thread: broscientists who make wild claims and don't understand the scientific method, statistics or empirical evidence

TheBlade, NickL245, UrbanBoy, shut the **** up - you're embarrassing yourselves.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    You're full of ****.

Its a product that aids in muscle growth, steroid it is not.

You're full of **** aswell.

One short arse powerliftng in the gym doesn't mean it stunted his growth. There are plenty of short arsed lifters in the world, they're called manlets.

Now go and find something worthwhile.
    Omg Im not saying that powerlifting is the definite cause of his height!

I just personally believe (not know) it was power lifting because of the weight he is lifting considering his weight.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    I was one of the shortest kids in my year right up until I was 16-17. Now I'm 5'9", still short but nothing wrong with my height.

Around 16-17 was also when I stopped doing sport. I assume non contact team sports were stunting my growth, right?
    No.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    How tall are you both? My friends are both identical twins, one does weights the other doesn't, the one that doesn't is taller. They measured it ....now they are at the stage where they can both to do weights and it wont affect their height as they are old enough.
    My sisters are identical twins. One is an inch taller than the other. Neither did weights, and any sports one did, so did the other. (Rugby, taekwondo etc)
    Just because they were identical at birth, it doesn't mean they should stop growing at exactly the same height.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UrbanBoy)
    Many people appear taller after doing weights if they work they pecs and back, as it improves their posture, which is why some people claim to be taller. Also this is why bodybuilders seem to big.
    I would recommend exercises such as push ups, squats, planks, but stay away from lifting.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    What knowledge/skills/evidence do you have to show that you should be recommending anything.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.