Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

AQA AS History Techniques

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently an AS student and I recently did my exams in May and failed abysmally... I would like some advice in how to approach History as I am definitely retaking it.

I used to love History however my passion for it soon disappeared the week started AS History and everything went downhill from there. There were many factors that perhaps led to this: the restriction of interpretation, teachers, the sheer load etc. but mainly I have MYSELF to blame. I wasn't motivated and was lazy thus I paid the price.

Now I want to restart again and resit the whole AS in January but I'm not sure where to begin as I'm doing it independently.

Please can anyone advise me in how to approach it.

If helps, I'm studying:
    • Life in Nazi Germany
      Britain 1906 -1951

Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm also an AS student doing AQA History, but I haven't studied the topics you have specified, so this is going to be very general.

The first unit should not contain sources, so basically, it's just three set of questions with a 12 mark and 24 mark question in each one. In terms of structure, for the 12 mark question, you should put three developed reasons/points and a conclusion. For the 24 mark question, there should always be an introduction, four developed reasons/points and a conclusion. If you can't think of three/four points for the 12 marker, often two very well developed points will suffice. Same for the 24 marker (with three indepth points). To get the high marks, you should put in a couple of historian quotes. My teacher advised we do the 24 mark questions first, then do the 12 mark questions.

This structure is similar in how you answer the second unit paper which contains sources. For example, for the 12 mark question, you should put at least 2 similarities and 1 difference or vice versa. Make your point from the sources which answers the question and develop with your own knowledge. For the 24 markers - exactly the same structure as stated previously, except you have to integrate sources into your answer. My class were advised to do the source question as normal (12 mark, then 24 mark) and the opposite for the other set of questions.

That's all I can think of so far. I often use this approach and it hasn't gone wrong for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prestoria)
    Thanks, that's really helpful

Any advice on revision/ learning etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neurology.)
    Thanks, that's really helpful

Any advice on revision/ learning etc
    For the learning aspect, I made notes in class and read the textbook (issued by our teacher) for further understanding. I know that not all teachers will give textbooks to their classes for use outside of college, but usually it is available in the library. AQA specific textbooks are very helpful.

In terms of revision, I personally did lots of past papers, especially for the source questions - with practice, it's easier to pick out similarities/differences. Bulleting key points of what you will include in your answer instead of writing a full answer to each question can work, too. I personally made revision cards for historian quotes and dates as a way of memorising it, but others learn it by writing it out multiple times. Do what works for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prestoria)
    For the learning aspect, I made notes in class and read the textbook (issued by our teacher) for further understanding. I know that not all teachers will give textbooks to their classes for use outside of college, but usually it is available in the library. AQA specific textbooks are very helpful.

In terms of revision, I personally did lots of past papers, especially for the source questions - with practice, it's easier to pick out similarities/differences. Bulleting key points of what you will include in your answer instead of writing a full answer to each question can work, too. I personally made revision cards for historian quotes and dates as a way of memorising it, but others learn it by writing it out multiple times. Do what works for you.
    Thanks again

Did you do extra reading. I assume your an A grade student
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As Prestoria said, nothing beats practice questions, over and over and over and over....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neurology.)
    Thanks again

Did you do extra reading. I assume your an A grade student
    I did, but it wasn't excessive. I was just really interested in the topics we did, so that helped!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im also doing the Aqa course I just did the antisemitism in germany 1919-45 and russia germany 1870 - 1914 I am doing the making of modern britain for A2 interested in these responses as i feel i let myself down in may
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.