The Student Room Group

If you are against the Queen, you are against the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Errm, I'm sure this is a troll but just in case...

I am well for the Queen and respect her achievements and loyalty to serve her country. HOWEVER, being put in prison etc. for exercising one's right to freedom of speech and opinion is ridiculous. It would undermine democracy and the whole idea is asinine.
Original post by 2468_James_Maaay
:yawn:
How are you going to stop the "treason", set up concentration camps?

Precisely, it's absurd in this modern day and age for people to get born into such wealthy and 'prestigious' and most of all undeserving positions. No one is better than purely by birth!
Original post by Dobermory
Deportation for less serious cases.

Less serious? :eek:
Reply 23
Original post by Duncan123
A subject is one who lives under the Monarch's rule, and puts their life toward the Monarch's happiness
A citizen is a free man with human rights

Not completely the same...

Nobody is truly free. We live in an ordered society. They are just words. In reality it's different. People are free with a Queen.
Reply 24
The UK can't be reduced to the monarchy!
Reply 25
Original post by sahajkaur
Precisely, it's absurd in this modern day and age for people to get born into such wealthy and 'prestigious' and most of all undeserving positions. No one is better than purely by birth!

The Queen lives a life of service. She isn't some rich Beverly Hills housewife spending every weekend on the beach. She has devoted her life to the UK.
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

Why is it that monarchists are so angry these days? You already have a completely pro-establishment media on your side (including the BBC that forces me to not only be exposed to but PAY for it's propaganda), unlimited funding to support your "cause" and 75% public support. Why do you feel so threatened?

It's hard enough having republican views in this country without the thought police like you wanting us executed! :rolleyes:
The Queen lives a life of service. She isn't some rich Beverly Hills housewife spending every weekend on the beach. She has devoted her life to the UK.

By standing on a balcony and waving? Tough job huh?
Reply 28
Nobody is truly free. We live in an ordered society. They are just words. In reality it's different. People are free with a Queen.

Are you suggesting that in France, Germany, America, Belgium etc.. people aren't free? None of them have monarchies.

In France, people got freedoms in Jan 1793 (When Louis XVIs head was chopped off)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
This is extreme to say the least. I support the queen myself. Personally i think she does all the visits to nations etc. to form 'bonds' that people like the President have to do therefore freeing the prime minister up to actually help the country and I like having the royal family. But that doesnt mean other people dont have different opinions, saying that everyone should have the same opinion is stupid, this is a democratic country after all!
Reply 30

:rolleyes:
Reply 31
It's an arbitrary distinction. There is no difference.

There is actually a difference. A citizen is a citizen of a state, a nation, a country. A subject is the subject i.e. servant of a monarch (see Concise Oxford English Dictionary subject 4. a member of a state owing allegiance to its monarch or supreme ruler). Being a subject also has connotations of being in some way submissive and servile, that the word 'citizen' does not.

As for being against the Queen equalling being against the UK I think that's a massive over-simplification. You can be supportive of the whole without approving of certain parts i.e. I like football, but don't like the hooligans so much, I like wine, but not the hangover, I like gravey, but not the lumps (sorry for crap examples, maybe someone else can think of better ones). In order for that to be the case, the Queen would have to equal the UK, and as many other parts make up the UK, that is obviously not true.

And what you presented is not an argument - you provide no evidence, just your own personal opinion and assertions. Everyone's entitled to that, but I'm not going to take it too seriously and neither will it convince me of anything.

My personal views on the monarchy are mixed and I don't think I'll go into them here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
I have nothing against Republicans. They have a right to want to not a Queen. They can excersize that right by leaving and moving to a nation without a monarchy.
Reply 33

But imagine if that was your life and you couldnt do anything you wanted, it's not like she gets much free time!
Reply 34
I have nothing against Republicans. They have a right to want to not a Queen. They can excersize that right by leaving and moving to a nation without a monarchy.

You honestly think its that much of an issue that people would want to move to a different country? Wow your life must be blissful
Still baffles me how people get so offended about the Queen.
Reply 36
Original post by Juniorr
But imagine if that was your life and you couldnt do anything you wanted, it's not like she gets much free time!

This, plus she does so much more than stand on balconies.
Reply 37
This, plus she does so much more than stand on balconies.

To be fair, if she didn't want to do this, she could abdicate.
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

I think you're a bit crazy. How on earth has our Queen ever been a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers? I couldn't think of a single example in the slightest and that's mainly due to the monarch having next to no powers, and that system is in place for a reason. Also, what do you mean by corrupt?

Treason?! Everyone is entitled to an opinion of whether they like or agree with a monarchy or not, they're not acting on anything, there's no assassination order going ahead...
Reply 39

STUDY TIME: http://www.sxolsout.org.uk/zcase.html WAKE UP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending