The Student Room Group

If you are against the Queen, you are against the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duncan123
To be fair, if she didn't want to do this, she could abdicate.

Which, if she was 'such a good mother' she would and give Charles a go on the throne rather than aiming to outlive him and hand it over straight to William. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Original post by Dobermory
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

na, you're just stupid
Original post by javmafia
Yeah right she didn't protect us from the EU (Maastricht Treaty, treaty of nice). The Queen is vastly wealthy she should pay for her own food and board, esp now with the crunch. Its time we had democracy in this country not some fairy tale ideas of it and of freedom. WAKE UP AND STOP WATCHING DISNEY CARTOONS

Even The Lion King?

:cry2:
Deportation for less serious cases.

Are you serious? Yes, I believe we should respect the monarchy as they form part of our country but apart from that, she does very little. As we live in a democracy, you have to understand and respect that other people may have different views and to repress them because of their beliefs would go against our democratic system.
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

1. She doesn't inspire me. The Royal Family raises great awareness for charities by always being photographed visiting them, but I make the conscious decision to give to charities and volunteer without the need to get inspiration to do so by a Royal. I also sort of expect the super rich to do charity work, and so it would be more inspiring to watch someone who has very little themselves, help others who have even less.

2. I'm not really sure why we need a national mother. The Queen plays such a small role anyway and it's very easy to identify things in our national identity that don't involve the Royals. Even stuff as small as our love for curry and fishnchips unites us as a nation on a massive scale. The days of us building an empire etc. are gone and so value that needs to be vested in stable and strong leadership which is more permanent than politicians, is very little. Possibly even nothing at all.

3. As much as I dislike David Cameron, I wouldn't refer to any of our Prime Ministers as corrupt. Due to our democratic electoral system, all politicians are directly accountable to the people, and also we have well working principles of party discipline within Parliament, so it would be incredibly difficult for a PM to implement laws that only benefit them and their party. You'll notice that the opposition are naturally inclined to hate whoever is leading the government and so you'll never get that big proper scale of corruption like you do in one party systems like China or North Korea. Frequent elections mean that politicians are always directly accountable to the people, and the Vote of No Confidence in parliament means they are also held accountable to all the other parties who dislike them, and are very reluctant to support them. I trust the power of the people to protect themselves against their own government, not an 85 year old lady whose NEVER lived like a normal person.

The Queen is unelected, unaccountable and completely outdated. She plays one key role in political decision making, but a queen hasn't rejected a bill that passed through Parliament successfully, for over 300 years. That alone, kind of tells you even the Royals have given up. On this jubilee weekend, I ended up actually feeling sorry for the poor old lady. Her husband was fatally in hospital, and I'm sure she would've much rather been sat by his side holding his hand, than waving at hundreds of people who have blind loyalty to her.
Just beacuse you are not proud of the Queen does not make you a republican........personally I think monarchy should just be seen as it is a tradition and hertiage of the British Empire nothing more or less.
I'm yet to see how the Queen unites people in my experience celebration and devestation uinte people than any figure head in this country for example the Olympic torch run has gathered crowds together as it is seen as a celebration with it coming to London. Last years riots united communities after the devestation it brought...

I think it's undemocratic to say stating your opposition to the Queen is treason and your against the UK :rolleyes: it is over dramatic at the least; be pround of the Queen if you most but do not expect everyone to be like minded like you!
The Queen isn't a safeguard.
Reply 47
Why do you guys care about those things. I will be happy to live in monarchies like (UK,UAE,KSA) instead of democracies like my country and India.

But there is one problem about UK, its because they talk about other countries not having democracies.
Original post by Duncan123
Out of interest, when does the Queen stop corrupt Prime Ministers? She's bound by law to accept what the people choose and legitimise all legislation that parliament sends for royal accession? x)

when they have the queen-PM meeting, she drugs their tea :colone:
anyway, I like the Queen, but people can be anti-monarchy and pro-British at the same time. However, I have a friend who acts as though they hate the UK, and whenever I talk about Britains success' she always calls me a fascist or something :O like wtf!?!?

But yeah, you don't have to like the Queen (even though I do).
I want to keep the monarchy. Those who don't I regard as having a different view which I don't share. We should be proud that they can express their views- you couldn't express dissenting views in North Korea or China for example.

If you replaced 'the Queen' with 'God' you wouldn't sound more of a nutter than you do now.

Also, "actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such"? You wouldn't have been out of place as a peasant in the time of the Tudors.
Original post by sahajkaur
Which, if she was 'such a good mother' she would and give Charles a go on the throne rather than aiming to outlive him and hand it over straight to William. :rolleyes:

If only ...

I hope it does go straight to William. People have short memories. People of our generation won't be as familiar with the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle but Charles made Diana's life a living hell and stated in an interview with Martin Bashir that he doesn't have the right qualities to be king. Camilla is a whore but the sheep who celebrate the Jubilee etc will accept her.

If the monarchy wants to survive they'd do far better to go straight to Kate and William because they're popular and untouched by scandal so far. But I don't want the monarchy to survive so maybe Charles on the throne would finally finish it off. :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
If only ...

I hope it does go straight to William. People have short memories. People of our generation won't be as familiar with the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle but Charles made Diana's life a living hell and stated in an interview with Martin Bashir that he doesn't have the right qualities to be king. Camilla is a whore but the sheep who celebrate the Jubilee etc will accept her.

If the monarchy wants to survive they'd do far better to go straight to Kate and William because they're popular and untouched by scandal so far. But I don't want to monarchy to survive so maybe Charles on the throne would finally finish it off. :biggrin:

I think Charles will be a good King, I have faith in him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
If only ...

If the monarchy wants to survive they'd do far better to go straight to Kate and William because they're popular and untouched by scandal so far. But I don't want the monarchy to survive so maybe Charles on the throne would finally finish it off. :biggrin:

Why do you think I want her to abdicate and hand it over to Charles. :colone: Although all the sheep would happily accept him anyway as they accept the Queen after the Diana scandal. :rolleyes:
Reply 55
Original post by sahajkaur
Why do you think I want her to abdicate and hand it over to Charles. :colone: Although all the sheep would happily accept him anyway as they accept the Queen after the Diana scandal. :rolleyes:

The Monarchy will survive with and beyond Charles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Well yes, if you are against the Queen, you are against the United Kingdom.

Exactly... :lol:
Original post by jo1692
There is actually a difference. A citizen is a citizen of a state, a nation, a country. A subject is the subject i.e. servant of a monarch (see Concise Oxford English Dictionary subject 4. a member of a state owing allegiance to its monarch or supreme ruler). Being a subject also has connotations of being in some way submissive and servile, that the word 'citizen' does not.

As for being against the Queen equalling being against the UK I think that's a massive over-simplification. You can be supportive of the whole without approving of certain parts i.e. I like football, but don't like the hooligans so much, I like wine, but not the hangover, I like gravey, but not the lumps (sorry for crap examples, maybe someone else can think of better ones). In order for that to be the case, the Queen would have to equal the UK, and as many other parts make up the UK, that is obviously not true.

And what you presented is not an argument - you provide no evidence, just your own personal opinion and assertions. Everyone's entitled to that, but I'm not going to take it too seriously and neither will it convince me of anything.

My personal views on the monarchy are mixed and I don't think I'll go into them here.

Americans and frenchmen are no more free than we are. The citizen/subject argument is one of the worst republican arguments.
I'm all for Her Majesty the Queen, she has given Royal Assent to all the bills passed by the New Labour government which opened our borders and made our country the multicultural multifaith society it is today.

If anybody opposes multiculturalism then IMO they are treasonous because they are opposing laws approved by Her Majesty the Queen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending