The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZeeAli
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

Hey,

I'm not Pakistani, but I have been called a 'paki' multiple times.
The word itself is not offensive, the tone used is offensive. It's said in a tone of disgust and as a way to mock someone.
It's used in a derogatory manner, which is why people will take offense to it.
Usually people will look at an 'asian' person, assume they are muslim, and then assume they are extemist individuals who want to enfore sharia law. These assumptions are made about you just based on your skin colour, and so such people go on to call you words like 'paki' to show you your place.
It's pretty upsetting to see people judge others so easily. I'm not even Pakistani but the tone that's used when the word Paki is said is very rude and does offend me, so I can imagine how much it would be offending actual Pakistanis.

Anyhow, that's my experience of it.
Reply 61
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Hey,

I'm not Pakistani, but I have been called a 'paki' multiple times.
The word itself is not offensive, the tone used is offensive. It's said in a tone of disgust and as a way to mock someone.
It's used in a derogatory manner, which is why people will take offense to it.
Usually people will look at an 'asian' person, assume they are muslim, and then assume they are extemist individuals who want to enfore sharia law. These assumptions are made about you just based on your skin colour, and so such people go on to call you words like 'paki' to show you your place.
It's pretty upsetting to see people judge others so easily. I'm not even Pakistani but the tone that's used when the word Paki is said is very rude and does offend me, so I can imagine how much it would be offending actual Pakistanis.

Anyhow, that's my experience of it.

hmm if i had rep left i would vote you up lol thats true about the tone :/ sorry to hear its happened to you :?
Because it's being said to offend. That's the simplest answer.

It's just one of those controversial things on how racism is only racism if somebody find's it racist.

Long story short, it's used to insult and offend.
Reply 63
Original post by ZeeAli
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

Because 'brit' is a nickname that has been adopted by all people, including brits themselves, as a name for a british person.

'Paki' was created by those who don't like 'pakistanis' [the correct term] or, for that matter, anyone from that part of asia, as it is used on anyone from that area, not exclusively pakistanis, so it carries with it negative connotations, and was designed as an insult, therefore although it is just a word, that is what it is.

Similarly, '******' derives from 'negro', all that does is describe the colour of someone's skin, but would you call a black person a ******? I don't think so.

Edit - it comes up in asterisks but I think everyone knows the word I am on about. Mods - how come you don't censor paki?
I've been called a p**i loads and loads of times because white people use the excuse of "Oh I thought it stands for Pakistani" despite using it in a derogative and racist manner. It's very annoying and I find it highly disrespectful, I don't even come from Pakistan.
Reply 65
Original post by abc:)
Because 'brit' is a nickname that has been adopted by all people, including brits themselves, as a name for a british person.

'Paki' was created by those who don't like 'pakistanis' [the correct term] or, for that matter, anyone from that part of asia, as it is used on anyone from that area, not exclusively pakistanis, so it carries with it negative connotations, and was designed as an insult, therefore although it is just a word, that is what it is.

Similarly, '******' derives from 'negro', all that does is describe the colour of someone's skin, but would you call a black person a ******? I don't think so.

Edit - it comes up in asterisks but I think everyone knows the word I am on about. Mods - how come you don't censor paki?

yeah i suppose soo. that makes sense :smile: i never thought of it that way!
Reply 66
Original post by Reemaa
I dont find it that offensive tbh... i use that term a lot and so do my friends, but thats just between us pakis :P
but i guess if some random white person shouted that paki at me, id be like wtf? cos its just associated with racism

I'm sorry you've got negged - I'm all for reclaiming a word. People wouldn't neg a black person who said he calls other black people n*gger. The lack of understanding and knowledge about racial terms is astounding
Original post by ZeeAli
hmm if i had rep left i would vote you up lol thats true about the tone :/ sorry to hear its happened to you :?

Aha I appreciate it

And yeah, a lot of my friends and I make race jokes at each other but it's friendly - unlike being called a paki by some chav on the street. I'm Indian and proud to call myself a British Indian, my parents work hard, are good people and pay tax to support the economy, just as any other good citizen. I will grow up to do the same. So no one has the right to speak to me in a derogatory tone.

Peace.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Palatial Veranda
I would class it as more of a spiky word

It's all about the Kiki/Bouba Effect for me.

Above we have Kiki and Bouba. Which is which? Kiki is the angular shape of course. I feel that this is more aggressive. I also think Paki is an angular word and would be far less offensive if it was modified to Pasi. Although not as rounded as 'Bouba' it represents a step in the right direction.

In summary, replace the 'K' in the word with something else and all problems will be solved . . . .

Owned.
/topic
Reply 69
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Aha I appreciate it

And yeah, a lot of my friends and I make race jokes at each other but it's friendly - unlike being called a paki by some chav on the street. I'm Indian and proud ot call myself a British Indian, my parents work hard, are good people and pay tax to support the economy, just as any other good citizen. I will grow up to do the same. So no one has the right to speak to me in a derogatory tone.

Peace.

:clap2: SOMEBODY GIVE THIS GIRL SOME GOOD REP
Original post by The Doggfather
I've been called a p**i loads and loads of times because white people use the excuse of "Oh I thought it stands for Pakistani" despite using it in a derogative and racist manner. It's very annoying and I find it highly disrespectful, I don't even come from Pakistan.

when will people realise that the term doesn't refer to people who come from pakistan, but anyone from the sub-continent or of that appearance . . . its not like its going to make them like you anymore once they realise you are indian, arab, etc...
Reply 71
its like calling a nigerian a nig(g)er.
Original post by The Doggfather

Lol same.

Once when I was little I was in a park with my cousin. A group of english girls came there, sat down, and started having a rather loud converstation about how they "hate brown cupcakes" ...
I heard them use the paki word as well...
I was little so I was just scared, but now when I think of it, it just makes me want to punch someone. B****** :angry:
I wouldn't mind being called "Paki" as long as there is no racist intention behind it. :smile:
Because when it's said by someone who isn't Pakistani, it's usually done in an obviously offensive and racist way.

I'm half Pakistani and i've experienced racism when i was younger and while it didn't get to me that much, what did get to me was that he thought he could get to me by being racist, if you get what i mean.
because "brit" doesn't have racist and derogatory connotations... this is like asking why is saying "****" rude but not "poo". the term "paki" has been used and IS still used offensively, to belittle pakistani people and also almalgamate all south asian looking people into one group (non pakistanis can also be called "paki" so obviously is not just a short term for pakistani).

people need to realise that yes, words DO have meanings. people who ask questions like this are usually racist themselves. if you know it is racially offensive then don't say it, simple. is it really too hard to say "stani" on the end? the only people i have EVER heard use it are being rude and racist... same goes for those who use the n-word.
Reply 76
If you're a Pakistani then I don't think there is a problem with it, but then if you're an Afghan it's like assuming that a Japanese person is Chinese because they're Asian. In fact, in my town, "Paki" is used as a derogatory label to describe an Asian or black person who may or may not be an immigrant. Similarly, any White immigrants are called "Polish" with similar negative connotations, regardless of their actual nationality.
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
when will people realise that the term doesn't refer to people who come from pakistan, but anyone from the sub-continent or of that appearance . . . its not like its going to make them like you anymore once they realise you are indian, arab, etc...

What are you trying to say, I don't understand your point...I haven't said that I regard a p**i as just a Pakistani.

They have the right to dislike me but there's no need to resort to racist and derogative terms. After they call me a p**i and say it means Pakistani, I say I'm not from Pakistan and that it doesn't mean that, then they say I look like a Pakistani...
Like other people have said it's not the word itself it's the tone and context of the usage

it's obviously offensive if it's used in a derogatory or a discriminatory way.

and other Asian dislike being called it as they are not the same, and it's offensive mainly to bangladeshi's and indians because of conflict between them and Pakistan in the past.
its all about the intent of word

Latest