The Student Room Group

How to get a Cambridge maths offer?

I really want to go to Cambridge to do maths. I used to think that this would be quite simple; I could get the five Bs required at GCSE to go to my sixth form and then get great grades for my AS levels and then all I would have to do to is do well at interview.

However, since I have joined the Student Room I have heard a lot of confusing things about applying to Cambridge to do maths. So I have some questions I'd like to ask.

Are GCSEs important? On the Cambridge website it appears to only require a maths GCSE at a grade C (although obviously I assume all actual Cambridge maths undergraduates got a very high A*).

Are these acceptable A Level choices- further maths, physics, chemistry, and french? (I will hopefully have finished my maths A level by the end of next year so I won't have to take it).

Is it okay if I REALLY struggle with STEP at the moment (year ten) or is that a sign Cambridge is too tough for me??

What should I be doing to prepare?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not too sure how important GSCEs are - but my Standard Grades weren't that good and I have an offer. If you want, you could look at the Offer Holders stalking page to see what kind of GSCEs most people have.

Your A level choices are perfectly fine - many offer holders just have FM/Maths/Physics.

Don't fret about STEP at the moment. Most year 12s, let alone year 10s, who try it early find it very difficuly, but don't worry. At the time you should hopefully be able to develop the skill needed. You pretty much need to know almost all of A level to have a shot at it anyhow.

At the moment? Focusing on getting good GSCE grades would be the main thing IMO. The only other thing would be finding ways to show your interest. For this, you could read books and participate in the UKMT challenges, but this isn't essential. I could give you some book suggestions if you're into that.

Also, Cambridge really don't care about extra-cirriculars for Maths, contrary to what many of your teachers will probably tell you. Unless it's Maths related, that is.
Reply 2
Original post by ThunderShade
I'm not too sure how important GSCEs are - but my Standard Grades weren't that good and I have an offer. If you want, you could look at the Offer Holders stalking page to see what kind of GSCEs most people have.

Your A level choices are perfectly fine - many offer holders just have FM/Maths/Physics.

Don't fret about STEP at the moment. Most year 12s, let alone year 10s, who try it early find it very difficuly, but don't worry. At the time you should hopefully be able to develop the skill needed. You pretty much need to know almost all of A level to have a shot at it anyhow.

At the moment? Focusing on getting good GSCE grades would be the main thing IMO. The only other thing would be finding ways to show your interest. For this, you could read books and participate in the UKMT challenges, but this isn't essential. I could give you some book suggestions if you're into that.

Also, Cambridge really don't care about extra-cirriculars for Maths, contrary to what many of your teachers will probably tell you. Unless it's Maths related, that is.

Congrats on getting an offer! Amazing!
Can I ask what your interview was like? From what I've heard it sounds rather nervewracking :/ I suppose your offer depends on what you get in the STEP test? I'm glad to hear that many people find it difficult, I was quite worried.

Just googled the UKMT and I'm definitely going to enter the intermediate level next year. And yes, I would love if you could recommend me some books! :smile:
Original post by violetheart
Congrats on getting an offer! Amazing!
Can I ask what your interview was like? From what I've heard it sounds rather nervewracking :/ I suppose your offer depends on what you get in the STEP test? I'm glad to hear that many people find it difficult, I was quite worried.

Just googled the UKMT and I'm definitely going to enter the intermediate level next year. And yes, I would love if you could recommend me some books! :smile:

Every college has a different interview process, although they're not too different. At my one (Trinity), they gave us a sheet with 10 questions for an hour, and the interview revolved around my answers to them. Some colleges don't use a test, some have a 'general' interview in addition to the normal one, etc. Here's a list of different college interview procedures (page 6 onwards).

For some reason I didn't have much of a problem with nerves, and it only really hit me when I was waiting outside the interview room. I don't know why, as it wasn't like I was confident I was getting in or anything. I met quite a few other candidates afterwards, and they mostly seemed fairly nervous, but then again, maybe the old joke is true (How can you tell if a mathematician is an extrovert? They're looking at your shoes.).

Cambridge has a wonderful list of suggestons here. I particularly recommend A Mathematician's Apology and Fermat's Last Theorem : the former can be read here. (For any mods who may see this, the copyright on this book has expired so it's legal).
Reply 4
Original post by ThunderShade
Every college has a different interview process, although they're not too different. At my one (Trinity), they gave us a sheet with 10 questions for an hour, and the interview revolved around my answers to them. Some colleges don't use a test, some have a 'general' interview in addition to the normal one, etc. Here's a list of different college interview procedures (page 6 onwards).

For some reason I didn't have much of a problem with nerves, and it only really hit me when I was waiting outside the interview room. I don't know why, as it wasn't like I was confident I was getting in or anything. I met quite a few other candidates afterwards, and they mostly seemed fairly nervous, but then again, maybe the old joke is true (How can you tell if a mathematician is an extrovert? They're looking at your shoes.).

Cambridge has a wonderful list of suggestons here. I particularly recommend A Mathematician's Apology and Fermat's Last Theorem : the former can be read here. (For any mods who may see this, the copyright on this book has expired so it's legal).

Not nervous at a Cambridge interview? Are you sure you're human? Haha :P I'm glad to find out that they don't ask you, "Does a slug think?" or those kind of questions, because there are so many rumours about that. Ugh, but what if you couldn't do any of the questions on the paper they give you? That would be awful when they called you in! I can totally understand the other candidates being worried :P

I read a bit of the Mathematician's Apology just now (that's why it took me so long too reply). Seems like a great book, thank you!
Ugh, but what if you couldn't do any of the questions on the paper they give you? That would be awful when they called you in! I can totally understand the other candidates being worried :P

There are always a few easy ones so I doubt anyone has those problems.

Why are you worrying about university now? If you're interested in maths, at the moment do what interests you, not what you think will help you get in (it will help in the long run anyway).

As for olympiad maths, it can be great fun, but if you spend several years on it it can get really dull (you only have three years left so you should be fine). It's also worth recognising that olympiad maths couldn't be more different from university maths, and that the topics you concentrate on most in the former, won't appear in the latter very much.
Reply 6
I really want to go to Cambridge to do maths. I used to think that this would be quite simple; I could get the five Bs required at GCSE to go to my sixth form and then get great grades for my AS levels and then all I would have to do to is do well at interview.

However, since I have joined the Student Room I have heard a lot of confusing things about applying to Cambridge to do maths. So I have some questions I'd like to ask.

Are GCSEs important? On the Cambridge website it appears to only require a maths GCSE at a grade C (although obviously I assume all actual Cambridge maths undergraduates got a very high A*).

Are these acceptable A Level choices- further maths, physics, chemistry, and french? (I will hopefully have finished my maths A level by the end of next year so I won't have to take it).

Is it okay if I REALLY struggle with STEP at the moment (year ten) or is that a sign Cambridge is too tough for me??

GCSEs aren't the be-all-and-end-all of a Cambridge application - they understand that people mature a lot between GCSEs and A levels and sometimes aren't even certain that they want to go to uni when they're 15 or 16, so don't prepare for GCSEs all that seriously.

Also, don't be concerned by STEP at this stage - until you've completed C4 most of it won't make any sort of sense, so concentrate on your A level grades first. The subjects you've listed are absolutely fine.

I'm a bit confused though - looking at a couple of your other posts, you mention studying for your GCSEs now, but you also say you should have completed A level maths before your other A level choices! Have you already completed GCSE maths early, or are you trying to self-study the A level at the same time as your GCSES?
Hey guys,

Im in a similar position to the person who started this thread apart from I'm in Y12, having completed my first maths A level in this year..

And My query was, should I be worrying much about not being given an interview, or are they pretty much guaranteed if your UMS scores are 90+% on average?

Cheers in advance bros x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
How important are GCSE's for cambridge maths? Do u have to get like 10A*'s or just a decent ammount to get considered. Thanks :smile:
Original post by JoeFo
How important are GCSE's for cambridge maths? Do u have to get like 10A*'s or just a decent ammount to get considered. Thanks :smile:

I don't think they're that important for maths. Try to get as many A*s as you can of course, but you definitely don't need 10 A*s. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by davros
GCSEs aren't the be-all-and-end-all of a Cambridge application - they understand that people mature a lot between GCSEs and A levels and sometimes aren't even certain that they want to go to uni when they're 15 or 16, so don't prepare for GCSEs all that seriously.

Also, don't be concerned by STEP at this stage - until you've completed C4 most of it won't make any sort of sense, so concentrate on your A level grades first. The subjects you've listed are absolutely fine.

I'm a bit confused though - looking at a couple of your other posts, you mention studying for your GCSEs now, but you also say you should have completed A level maths before your other A level choices! Have you already completed GCSE maths early, or are you trying to self-study the A level at the same time as your GCSES?

Maths is my best subject so I'm placed in the A level classes for it- I've done four modules this year and I'm supposed to take the other two next January or February, or whenever it is :P Weird thing is I haven't done my GCSE yet! I'm just going to do it along with the rest of my year.

Thanks for the info on STEP... for some reason I was thinking that it was unrelated to A level maths, I don't know where I got that rather stupid idea from!

E: Oh, and awesome name, by the way :biggrin:
Do as well as possible in M/FM/Physics.

As I understand they are reasonably lax with offers to viable candidates (people with 3As in my day, now probably A*s too) as the STEP requirements then reduce the numbers to a manageable level, so if you've got a serious chance, start practicing STEP early.

As for being in Yr10 - there's no advantage to doing this stuff early and if it causes you to get less than perfect grades, is really only a negative.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Maths is my best subject so I'm placed in the A level classes for it- I've done four modules this year and I'm supposed to take the other two next January or February, or whenever it is :P Weird thing is I haven't done my GCSE yet! I'm just going to do it along with the rest of my year.

Ah, I see :smile: In that case, just concentrate on getting the best possible grades you can for your GCSEs, and then focus on top grades for your AS levels and sound predictions for your A level results.

You have plenty of time in hand to prepare for STEP, and as someone else commented, don't let it distract you from your main exams, because STEP is really only relevant for 1 or 2 universities, whereas a full set of As or A*s at A level will set you up for virtually any uni application.

By all means read outside the syllabus as well to keep up your interest - books by Ian Stewart and Marcus du Sautoy tend to be pretty good, although be warned: they tend to write essentially the same book several times with a different title every few years!!
Reply 13
I had the interview and rejection from Cambridge, but I can tell you how it went. My GCSEs were 6 A*s 5 As. AS levels were 4 As a B and a C (A's Double Maths, Chemistry and Physics, B was Computing, C was biology.)

For the interview - mine was at Queens' College - it was COMPLETELY to do with maths problems. I did not have a single question "Why maths?", "Who influenced you most?", "What interests you in maths?". I had almost exclusively questions which were unrelated to maths A level. Modulo arithmetic, integration which I had not yet done. They want to see what you can do when pointed in the right direction, which I'm fairly happy to say, I failed at.

As for STEP. You can't do STEP in year 10? Bah, might as well give up now!

Seriously? You're looking at STEP in year 10?

I have an offer from Warwick still so I do need to sit STEP. However, it is only STEP 1 and I need grade 2. Which isn't even a comparison to the Cambridge offer. STEP eventually grows on you, once you've finished C4 STEP 1 becomes easier, FP1/FP2/FP3/M3/M4 STEP 2 and 3 get easier. In the end it's all practise and learning techniques which can help you solve problems which come naturally. If you're even looking at STEP in year 10, you will be fine i'm sure.

For the interview the only advice I can give is learn ahead, learn the next module, don't worry too much about the chatty crap. From what I saw, and speaking to people there, they want to know about your maths ability regardless of "who inspires you?".

Good luck.
Original post by Tomcrease

For the interview - mine was at Queens' College - it was COMPLETELY to do with maths problems.

Hey man, cheers for the helpful post.. couple of questions, do you think this completely maths based interview only applies to Queens, or to everywhere?

Also, what were your UMS scores for maths if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers in advance
Reply 15
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Hey man, cheers for the helpful post.. couple of questions, do you think this completely maths based interview only applies to Queens, or to everywhere?

Cheers in advance

My Oxford interviews were completely maths based too, I was asked why maths and why oxford but it always seemed like they wanted a simple concise answer for those questions, and the maths was what they really cared about.
Reply 16

Cheers in advance

I would only know for Queens sorry, I imagine it mostly is but can't make any promises.

I didn't initially want to do maths so have been getting better over time.

C1 - 92
C2 - 95
C3 - 100
M1 - 95
M2 - 100
D1 - 90
S1 - 90
FP1 - 95

I did not have the M2 or C3 grades by the time I applied, so they are not the best grades. While I was there however I was told by someone who deals with applications that the average Queens college (don't know for the rest of Cambridge) maths student got 94% average UMS at A level and the top 25% of Queens maths students got 99% average UMS.

So mine weren't good before applying, but it was worth a shot!

I think if you have averagely good grades (90+ UMS in all) and can't think of 5 Unis to apply to, why not try Cambridge, there's always that chance, and you have nothing to lose :smile:
Original post by Tomcrease

I did not have the M2 or C3 grades by the time I applied, so they are not the best grades. While I was there however I was told by someone who deals with applications that the average Queens college (don't know for the rest of Cambridge) maths student got 94% average UMS at A level and the top 25% of Queens maths students got 99% average UMS.

So mine weren't good before applying, but it was worth a shot!

I think if you have averagely good grades (90+ UMS in all) and can't think of 5 Unis to apply to, why not try Cambridge, there's always that chance, and you have nothing to lose :smile:

Hey guys,

Im in a similar position to the person who started this thread apart from I'm in Y12, having completed my first maths A level in this year..

And My query was, should I be worrying much about not being given an interview, or are they pretty much guaranteed if your UMS scores are 90+% on average?

Cheers in advance bros x

Also considering that it's the top 25% who get 99%, and the average is 94%, then there must be another 25% (time for my maths to shine :P or not) with approximately 90% average! :O

I'm sure they'll give a fair few more interviews than offers, and if you're 90+% UMS then I can't see any reason why they wouldn't interview you. (I hope) And in your case if you can get an A* in your A level, then I wouldn't sweat :biggrin:
Though tbh - I'm in year 12 too, so haven't much of a clue either :P
Original post by dragonrabbit
Also considering that it's the top 25% who get 99%, and the average is 94%, then there must be another 25% (time for my maths to shine :P or not) with approximately 90% average! :O

I'm sure they'll give a fair few more interviews than offers, and if you're 90+% UMS then I can't see any reason why they wouldn't interview you. (I hope) And in your case if you can get an A* in your A level, then I wouldn't sweat :biggrin:
Though tbh - I'm in year 12 too, so haven't much of a clue either :P

Yeah I reckon you're right, there are gonna be a good amount of people with and average closer to 90, so
I guess that's where interview and step comes in...

Are you applying this October?

Reply 19

Hi,

I was in a very similar position to you when I was in year 10 with similar aspirations (in fact my first post on TSR was quite like this one!), and now I'm here in Cambridge having just finished my second year exams. It's good to see that you're thinking this far ahead, but on the other hand you needn't worry so much, just continue what you're doing and get the best grades you can without piling too much pressure on yourself.

GCSE grades are looked at alongside many other factors, such as AS grades, A2 predictions, interview performance, your personal statement and your reference. Therefore, great grades won't make your application and poor grades won't break it.

Your A-level choices are great (mine were the same, replacing French with Music), just do whatever you think you'll enjoy and succeed at. You should only do 5 if you think that you'll be able to handle the workload and succeed in all of them. 4 A-levels are more than enough.

Don't worry about STEP too much at the moment, you're only in year 10! Most people start looking at it in year 13 and still struggle! Don't expect to be able to do a single question at this stage, it takes a lot of getting used to, and if you have the ability you will eventually get there. I couldn't do a single question when I first started looking, and about a year later I answered six of them well in STEP III.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest