The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Feedback
Fair call. I run the indie/rock/folk gigs there, not the drum and bass nights - it's not my scene at all. All I know is that it's popular among the Morecambe scally crowd and some students.

Aye, kind of the scene I was expecting really. I was at the dnb night at County bar and that had a smallish but decent turn-out.

Will take someone or a small group of people really into their music to get a proper night on for under-represented music up here.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
JoeFen
Aye, kind of the scene I was expecting really. I was at the dnb night at County bar and that had a smallish but decent turn-out.

Will take someone or a small group of people really into their music to get a proper night on for under-represented music up here.

Exactly, irrespective of genre, you need people who are prepared to really put the effort in to really get something going... putting posters up and putting on a regular night somewhere.

A place like The Lounge might be ok to start up a monthly night. It's unlikely that would be able to get a weekend though which is why a lot of things happen at the Farmers Arms - it's a function room which is available to hire.

Let me know if you ever plan to start something up and I can give you a bit of advice. The genres are different but the approach is pretty much the same. Otherwise you'll just have to wait for the occasional nights in Bentham!
Reply 22
hmm this place looks intresting

http://www.cubalancaster.co.uk/

what one of us needs to do is exactly what feedback has done for the indie scene. Its alright moaning about the lack of music but im gonna try and see what it takes to promote a night at lancaster.

My taste sort of covers the full dance spectrum. The one exception = trance. Absolutely hate the stuff!!!Im busy with my course but if i managed my time better it shouldnt be a problem haha!

thanks feedback for the support, ill contact you when im back at uni.
Reply 23
I can't believe Brooks has turned into that thing. The question really is whether people can afford to go to that kind of place. Sante was relying on Lancaster having a decent-sized yuppie crowd and failed miserably. But anyway, we'll see.

As for setting up a night, Feedback was set up as a club night at the start of my final year of uni. We did club nights from October until February until we started doing gigs in February. Initially it was monthly gigs with club nights in between. By my finals we were doing weekly gigs.

It nearly killed me but we managed to run successful gigs every Friday and I still got a First in my degree. It just forced me to fit my uni work in between booking bands and putting up posters. The plus point is it gives you time to completely forget about your degree which is really handy. Otherwise you get too bogged down in it and forget to actually have a life.

Anyway, hope someone does set up another night. Lancaster could do with a bit of variety and give places like Liquid a run for their money.
Reply 24
Ma7y
hmm this place looks intresting

http://www.cubalancaster.co.uk/

what one of us needs to do is exactly what feedback has done for the indie scene. Its alright moaning about the lack of music but im gonna try and see what it takes to promote a night at lancaster.

My taste sort of covers the full dance spectrum. The one exception = trance. Absolutely hate the stuff!!!Im busy with my course but if i managed my time better it shouldnt be a problem haha!

thanks feedback for the support, ill contact you when im back at uni.

funny you should say that - we have a new weekly night at cuba starting on the 27th April - the Thursday before the Bentham night. :smile:

The opening night will be free in all night - the following weeks we will be charging probably £2(NUS)/£3 earlier on and £3/£4 later, or a little more if we have a big name guest on. There are also drinks promos - not sure exactly but roundabout 1.50-2 quid for decent lagers eg corona, 2.50-3 quid on house doubles with mixer and cheap bottles of wine etc. So its not really quite as posh as it appears from that website - classy but not posh :wink:

We will be playing a mixture of quality hip hop, funk, reggae, then moving on to breaks and dnb (and maybe a little non-cheesy house/techno) later on.

The club is pretty mint and i reckon it will be a wicked night - personally i think lancaster has been crying out for a non-grotty venue for stuff like this for ages :biggrin:

btw @ Feedback - might be worth going to speak to Elliot from Cuba about putting band nights etc on there.
Reply 25
grum
btw @ Feedback - might be worth going to speak to Elliot from Cuba about putting band nights etc on there.

Hahaha! Not a chance! Good to hear you're putting stuff on though.

No, indie kids don't like that kind of place. They prefer dark, dingy little places like the Farmers Arms so it's actually well-suited to our needs.

A place like Cuba would put them off, as would their drinks prices.

Dan from Feedback used to put the Unknown Pleasures night on at Brooks but found that to keep his night viable he had to start playing requests and stuff to keep people on the dance floor so it turned into another indie night full of Arctic Monkeys and their type... not what Feedback is about. I like the freedom the Farmers Arms affords us.

Cuba will probably suit your kind of night well though so good luck to you!
Reply 26
thats ace grum!!! bout time too

:smile:
Reply 27
Feedback
Hahaha! Not a chance! Good to hear you're putting stuff on though.

No, indie kids don't like that kind of place. They prefer dark, dingy little places like the Farmers Arms so it's actually well-suited to our needs.

A place like Cuba would put them off, as would their drinks prices.

Dan from Feedback used to put the Unknown Pleasures night on at Brooks but found that to keep his night viable he had to start playing requests and stuff to keep people on the dance floor so it turned into another indie night full of Arctic Monkeys and their type... not what Feedback is about. I like the freedom the Farmers Arms affords us.

Cuba will probably suit your kind of night well though so good luck to you!

thanks!

I see what you mean - the place isnt really as posh as you are imagining though. And last time i was in Korners the drinks prices were actually more than they will be at our night at Cuba :wink:
Reply 28
Excellent stuff Grum, will be definately a regular at that night - keep us updated mate.
ye sounds good ill definetly give it a try. altho i have to stress there is nothing wrong with grotty venues, hell they are normally better, i went to a top party in wales over easter on a muddy dirt track - bout as grotty as it gets- with hard techno and psytrance set up over 3 rigs, what we really need to do is try n set up partys like this around the area - although granted 3 rigs would be a bit ambitious.
Reply 30
Silly Muppet
ye sounds good ill definetly give it a try. altho i have to stress there is nothing wrong with grotty venues, hell they are normally better, i went to a top party in wales over easter on a muddy dirt track - bout as grotty as it gets- with hard techno and psytrance set up over 3 rigs, what we really need to do is try n set up partys like this around the area - although granted 3 rigs would be a bit ambitious.

Yeah i have nothing against grotty venues, I know what you mean about they can have a good atmosphere - its just nice to have a bit of variety really.

There are plenty of outdoor free parties on around this area in the summer btw, there is usually at least one every weekend. We will probably be playing at a few of em.

Nice 1 Joe - by the way the promoters of metropolis in manchester, where we are residents, are very keen on the idea of putting on a night with us down here - as I know you are a dnb man you might find that rather interesting.

Metropolis has become one of the UK’s most innovative and groundbreaking event promoters with an outstanding portfolio including monthly events in Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and Edinburgh. Metropolis is committed to showcasing the world’s finest drum and bass artists alongside our weighty resident talent. All of the DJs who have played for us like Hype, Grooverider, Bailey, Krust, Mampi Swift, Randall, Fabio, Flight, Friction, Fresh, Dillinja, Zinc, Bryan G and Andy C to name just a few (!) have been blown away by the red-hot atmosphere. Metropolis has become the name on everyone’s lips in 2005.

http://metropolisuk.com/home.htm

:biggrin:
Reply 31
Metropolis do sterling work in Leeds for dnb. Really decent nights and from the quote above they don't half get the decent dj's in.

Any transport tips for this up and coming night grum?
Reply 32
JoeFen
Metropolis do sterling work in Leeds for dnb. Really decent nights and from the quote above they don't half get the decent dj's in.

Any transport tips for this up and coming night grum?

your best bet for bentham is probably to find a few ppl and share a taxi (or persuade someone to stay sober and drive) - if there are enough of you a minibus is cheapest option i think - mebbe a fiver each or less - try 848848. There is also a train out to bentham from lancaster (but not back at 2am).

You can bring your own booze as well btw :p:
Reply 33
theres suppose to be a good night on sunday in toast (i think its toast) playing some minimal tech house. Im deffo making my way down to that!
Reply 34
tommorrow night ppl - get there early to avoid dissapointment if you dont have a ticket already! :P
Reply 35
double post
Reply 36
right here is my round up of a night in lancaster. Pretty grim let me tell you!!!

Anyway after getting tipsy in the local student haunts my group decide to move onto 'cuba cuba'. well this club looks ace from inside. DJ samee dee was playing funky house (:frown:) and was doing a good job of getting the girls dancing. However this club was too dead!!! so after a pint we left. (Its a good club, just not enough people!).

Anyway after this we decide to move onto revs. I was expecting a realy good set from the dj. However after a few deep 'dirty' tunes the Dj lets his 'wife' on the decks. Now if your reading this. Please give up. The way you slaughterd this set just wasnt funny!!! It was horrible and made many 'heads' leave! Terrible mixxing and track selection!!!

Anyways we eventually moved onto the lounge. Now this has to be the best place in lancaster. Not coz i love the music. But because it has some half decent house and a good crowd. So overall 'lounge' is best place in lancaster. Maybe not coz of the music, but because of the whole package.

the reason ive posted this is because of soo many **** nights out in lancaster!!!!

:frown:
Reply 37
I think the problem with cuba is it still has the stigma of brooks for a lot of ppl. Its actually a wicked venue and proper cheap drinks etc (1.50 a pint!)

We have had a few teething problems getting our night off the ground, but I think it has loads of potential. Now we have got the materials to promote it properly, I can see it really taking off! Get your asses down there tonight :biggrin:

Also, after the craziness of our last sell-out gig at Bentham, get ready for the next one already... The last night was also featured in this months DJ mag as one of the top ten nights in the land!

This month to celebrate Cheeky Munky's birthday and the start of Summer, we are headlining one of breakbeat's originators, Tayo. With a full travelling Tangled Breaks crew and our 2nd room hosts The Ohana Soundsystem, another massive Nowt But Breaks is on its way!

Tayo (Mob)
Steve Thorpe (Tangled Breaks)
Dangeruss Drury (I Love Sumo)
Sourpuss
The Ohana Soundsystem & Ashan (Solar)
Dj Reprobate

Decor by Solar, Soundsystem by Rebel Bass

Saturday 3/6/06 - Bentham Town Hall, High Bentham, nr Lancaster
£9 advance/£8 NUS/ MOTD
8pm-2am no entrance after 12
Ticket outlets: Blue Tubes (Lancaster), Slipped Disc (Bentham), www.ticketline.co.uk

Get tickets or get there early to avoid dissapointment!!

Reply 38
Ma7y
right here is my round up of a night in lancaster. Pretty grim let me tell you!!!

Anyway after getting tipsy in the local student haunts my group decide to move onto 'cuba cuba'. well this club looks ace from inside. DJ samee dee was playing funky house (:frown:) and was doing a good job of getting the girls dancing. However this club was too dead!!! so after a pint we left. (Its a good club, just not enough people!).

Anyway after this we decide to move onto revs. I was expecting a realy good set from the dj. However after a few deep 'dirty' tunes the Dj lets his 'wife' on the decks. Now if your reading this. Please give up. The way you slaughterd this set just wasnt funny!!! It was horrible and made many 'heads' leave! Terrible mixxing and track selection!!!

Anyways we eventually moved onto the lounge. Now this has to be the best place in lancaster. Not coz i love the music. But because it has some half decent house and a good crowd. So overall 'lounge' is best place in lancaster. Maybe not coz of the music, but because of the whole package.

the reason ive posted this is because of soo many **** nights out in lancaster!!!!

:frown:

What music do they play in the lounge mate?

I'm seriously considering bopping down to either liverpool or mancs or preston perhaps for dnb nights in 2nd year unless the scene doesn't take off up here.

Not sure if grum comes on here much but I hope there is some dnb orientated nights. Trips back and forth to leeds for a bit of bass just isn't affordable :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending