Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving Test Tips

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have my driving test in a week and I'm beyond nervous about it (basically I have to pass the first time, no time to take it a second time ). I would appreciate a few tips that could help to decrease the number of minors and anything you think might help with the whole thing!

Oh and a few tips on reverse around the corner would also be appreciated, at the moment I'd still get a minor on it around 70% of the time.

Many thanks in advance
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urm, im passed myne but im a well **** driver and i had the chief examiner person!
    but if you thinkg youve done something wrong you neeeed to forget about it and carry on, honestly! thats the best advice i think i was given
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyxx)
    Urm, im passed myne but im a well **** driver and i had the chief examiner person!
    but if you thinkg youve done something wrong you neeeed to forget about it and carry on, honestly! thats the best advice i think i was given
    I'm worried that if I don't take note of it I'll just make the same mistake again and all the minors would just accumulate...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just get plenty of sleep and relax the night before, you'll do just fine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed 15 minors. Few people fail on minors, so don't panic if you get a few and just try not to make any major faults.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the test in general, keep calm and always keep your head. If your too nervous you won't pass because you'll be too agitated fretting about passing than thinking about driving safe and driving well. Be confident, don't be too timid but if you're meeting traffic, make sure you are the person who is safe and considerate and always stops. For general driving, always check mirrors when speeding up/slowing down and remember MSM including the blindspot check.

For the reverse around the corner, always check blind spot over shoulder, adjust the left mirror down so you can angle the car easier and if you meet another car always stop!

Just my general tips there but i'm sure your instructor has told you all of that already! Good luck with your test!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    By the way what are the most common major errors?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It might sounds like a really hard thing to do, but just don't think about it, at least not too much. I just put it to the back of my mind but just don't forget completely! Think about it too much and you'll over-think it, but don't just forget about it. I had casual chats with my instructor about it, he'd say some funyn stuff and we'd laugh, so it didn't seem so daunting. And when we waited outside the centre we were just chatting about random things
    I agree with one of the other posters, don't think about things you think you've done wrong, or worry too much. Just focus on the rest of the driving, cause chances are it's nothing major. If you're debating whether it's made you fail it's probably only a minor
    When you come across a situation, don't panic! I know it's easier to say (especially as I reasonably laid back person) but just breathe, calm down and gather all those thoughts flying around and think slowly, because then you'll think more rationally
    Also, having a chat with the examiner helps We chatted about my choice of university (London) and joked about the traffic and things down there. But as for reverse round the corner, that was my worst one, luckily only got turn in the road! I was well happy.
    And, you can always think, maybe you could get a test like mine, where you spend over half an hour in a traffic jam so there's not much room for minors, and have to do a quick turn in the road on the way back cause you're twenty minutes late back But Good Luck! If you're booked for your test you're probabyl good enough anyway!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Probably not the best strategy but my friend had her driving test last week and she went out thinking she was going to fail, and simply treated the test as a practice run to learn what went on. She passed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckK)
    It might sounds like a really hard thing to do, but just don't think about it, at least not too much. I just put it to the back of my mind but just don't forget completely! Think about it too much and you'll over-think it, but don't just forget about it. I had casual chats with my instructor about it, he'd say some funyn stuff and we'd laugh, so it didn't seem so daunting. And when we waited outside the centre we were just chatting about random things
    I agree with one of the other posters, don't think about things you think you've done wrong, or worry too much. Just focus on the rest of the driving, cause chances are it's nothing major. If you're debating whether it's made you fail it's probably only a minor
    When you come across a situation, don't panic! I know it's easier to say (especially as I reasonably laid back person) but just breathe, calm down and gather all those thoughts flying around and think slowly, because then you'll think more rationally
    Also, having a chat with the examiner helps We chatted about my choice of university (London) and joked about the traffic and things down there. But as for reverse round the corner, that was my worst one, luckily only got turn in the road! I was well happy.
    And, you can always think, maybe you could get a test like mine, where you spend over half an hour in a traffic jam so there's not much room for minors, and have to do a quick turn in the road on the way back cause you're twenty minutes late back But Good Luck! If you're booked for your test you're probabyl good enough anyway!
    Thanks
    Knowing my luck I would probably get the chief examiner who would never crack a smile I booked my test at 1.30pm, so there wouldn't be any cars around....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I failed two times lol.

I failed tow times in a city where I wasn't from originally and the roads were very complex and confusing with odd junctions and massive roadabouts with lanes and lights everywhere.

I was really nervous the 2nd time after failing the 1st. The tester said I committed a major fault in the 1st as he had to stamp on the brake at a mini roundabout. This car entered the roundabout going way over the speed limit and the way the roundabout was set up you had limited view to the right because of buildings. I would never have hit the guy but it was a fail. Then my instructor was really stressed about it as he worried about his pass rates. I was really nervous the 2nd time and ill too. Had this screeching bitch Tester who flipped out when I got her instructions messed up at this complex junction "where are you going" she screeched!

3rd time passed easy in my home town.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    Thanks
    Knowing my luck I would probably get the chief examiner who would never crack a smile I booked my test at 1.30pm, so there wouldn't be any cars around....
    If he don't want to smile, he don't want to smile, and then you just ignore him lol That sounds like a good time, mine was at quater past 10 and there was hardly any traffic(the traffic jam was due to roadworks) and my instructor said early afternoon is good too Try having a lesson at that time as well before your test, if you can, so you know what sort of traffic there'll be. It probably wont help in terms of your test but it gives you a little peice of mind if you know
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They have to tick when they give you a manouevre, when they are testing parts of your driving e.t.c. so don't think a line on the paper = minor

Relax and don't think you have failed - chances are it's a minor if you've made a mistake

OBSERVE more than anything. You can kind of restart a manoevre (i.e bay park) once or twice as long as you observe. No observation = fail

MIRRORS when indicating. I got 2 minors for this.
    Indicating in the right places
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, they have to tell you once you've made a major mistake, so if you think you've already failed from an error but they haven't mentioned it to you, it's only a minor if they've even picked up on it, so don't worry about that kind of stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be a good idea to ask your instructor for a practise test at the same time you have booked your real test for a couple days previous. That way you can familourise yourself with the roads and what the test feels like (kind of). I was dead nervous on my first test and i failed because i did not concentrate on what was around me. You have to live in the moment. Dont think about what you have just done or what will be coming up next but think about what you are doing. Make sure you check you mirrors like a gazzilion times and as for the reverse around a corner, justt take it a 3 quarter tern at a time. Make it work for you not the other way around. You wont get any minors for going at a pace that suits you at the end of the day your in control not the car.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.