The Student Room Group

How have i got so fat ????

I have just been to the doctors today where I have been told I am very overweight. I am a 17 year old guy 5ft 11 and now weigh 14 stone exactly and have a waist near enough 40''. I have been told I need to diet and get down to 11 stone. 11 stone ! I could never get that slim, plus I don't think it would be healthy to be so slim. I never thought i would be like this, i used to be slim and fit. I dont know what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

count calories and do a bit of exercise. Not too complicated.
Reply 2
Well if your really worried about your weight, I suggest go to gym, i know most people might say this but seriously exercising will be the only way to loose weight properly, i mean diets work but not as effectively as exercising.
Yes i know i forgot to mention to eat healthily and less junk food!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
You don't need to diet you need to EAT HEALTHILY there's a difference. :redface:
If you put yourself at a 500 calorie carb deficit (for example) and stay away from white carbs i.e. white bread, pasta, rice etc and get some fresh, unprocessed stuff down you you're well on your way.
Yes exercise is a huge contributor but if your still eating crap, you won't lose the weight effectively. :smile:
Reply 4
You lack discipline.
Original post by GujiGirl3
Well if your really worried about your weight, I suggest go to gym, i know most people might say this but seriously exercising will be the only way to loose weight properly, i mean diets work but not as effectively as exercising

aside from walking the dog, I don't exercise. I've lost over 4 stone. I have to therefore disagree with you.
Reply 6
your a male? and your 17? AND YOUR NOT PUMPING IRON!!!

Nah but seriously the best thing would be to skip for 15 minutes as soon as you wake up before you eat anything after a while you'll increase your metabolism so you burn your food quicker.

And signup to a gym n lifts n sweat atleast twice a weak the afterburn effect will help you lose weight.

And most important fix your diet!!
Original post by Onlyboyintheworld
I have just been to the doctors today where I have been told I am very overweight. I am a 17 year old guy 5ft 11 and now weigh 14 stone exactly and have a waist near enough 40''. I have been told I need to diet and get down to 11 stone. 11 stone ! I could never get that slim, plus I don't think it would be healthy to be so slim. I never thought i would be like this, i used to be slim and fit. I dont know what to do :frown:

5ft11 and 11stone would put you at a BMI of 21.5. The healthy weight range is 18.5–24.9. So that isn't too slim to suggest you to be.

You need to eat less calorie-wise. Eating less calorific food is an easy way to do this, but remember that you can get fat off healthy food and slim off junk food, as it is all down to the calorie amounts that go in. I have seen more than a few people think that they are healthy because they eat either healthy or 'healthy' (non-healthy food which is socially assumed to be healthy) food and exercise, but eat way too much of it!

Exercise helps, sure, but many people can just end up eating more due to it and gaining weight...
Reply 8
this is one of the few instances i would advise a SLOOOOOOOOOW cut, while lifting and eating alot of protein.
Reply 9
As people have said
Eat in a calorie defect and start lifting

Good luck
Cut the cake and get yo ass to the gym girlfriend.
Reply 11
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
aside from walking the dog, I don't exercise. I've lost over 4 stone. I have to therefore disagree with you.

actually 'walking' is in fact an exercise so yes you did exercise
Reply 12

Made me laugh

OP if you have lost 4 stone from walking the dog imagine the results you will get if you starting other exercises
Reply 13

She said "aside from walking", she didn't say walking wasn't exercise. Nice try though.
Reply 14

Do couch situps :wink:.
I hear there is a zombie apocalypse happening soon remember the fat people are the first ones to die!

I used to be fat, and exercising for the sake of exercising never seemed to work for me. Some people like going to the gym, specifically to exercise, but I just don't get on with it.

I find it MUCH more effective to fit the exercise in to your normal routine. This takes your mind off it. I started cycling to work and uni, and now Ive lost the weight and my leg muscles are huge. And now when I cycle, I don't even feel like I'm exercising. My mind is not concentrating on number of repetitions or calories burned. I just look at all the scenery fly by and the time seems to pass nicely.
Reply 16
I was 6ft and 14 stone. I managed to lose 2 stone, and it was effortless really. I stopped drinking fizzy juice, and decided to drink only water (hot chocolate on the rare occasion was acceptable since it was Winter!) and cut down on the amount of food I ate. I cut out blue milk and white bread, and changed it to green milk/water and brown bread. I also cut out unhealthy breakfasts such as fried food, and started eating Bran Flakes (which btw are awesome!) After that, it was just cutting down on the portions of food I ate. Normally, If I made noodles I'd make two packets just to fill me up, however one packet was enough when having water on the side. Water seriously is the secret to weight loss, it fills you up so that you don't get peckish for any snacks and you can feel yourself becoming more healthy if you drink enough of it. Try and drink 2 litres a day and you will feel and see the difference. If I were to choose between tea, lucozade or water I'd pick water! :biggrin: hope i helped :smile:
Reply 17
Have you gotten so fat? You are not fat, just cuddly.:giggle:
Reply 18
Eat a little less and move more.....simple! It's worked for me so far. I've lost just over 2 stone in about 5 months. Aim to lose 1-2lbs a week or about half a stone each month. Losing a substantial amount of weight isn't healthy (majority of it will be water) and you're likely to put that back on much more easily. Just pick a sport or an exercise that you love and do it more often i.e. my thing is zumba and badminton. I also don't really consider myself on a diet as such, I've just changed my eating habits i.e smaller portions and I have 5 small meals instead of 3 normal ones as I find it prevents me from munching on rubbish. BUT I still have chocolate and crisps etc but just in moderation. Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by Marsha2112
Cut the cake and get yo ass to the gym girlfriend.

:lol:

Quick Reply

Latest