Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Serious Mass" weight gain + Acne antibiotics

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok I know this gets asked a lot but I'm yet to see a well put together answer.

I'm taking "Tetralysal 300 (lymecycline)" which is an antibiotic for Acne, with a course lasting around 6 months (I'm on my 6 month now and my doctor has prescbribed it for another 2 atleast)

It states on the box that I should avoid Milk and medicines containing Zinc and Iron (It says in the instructions "Moderate levels of milk should not effect the absorbtion of Tetralysal" and to "Wait atleast 2 hours after taking the medication before eating or taking remedies containing Zinc or Iron.

Problem is my weight gain shake contains all of what I'm told to avoid

I spoke to my doctor about taking protein at the same time as the medication and she wasn't even aware I was to avoid dairy/zinc/iron.... infact her response was "I didn't know you have to avoid them.... if it says to avoid it on the box avoid it" but in reality all I want to know is can I take them at different times of the day? if not.... why not?

Any answers based on experience would be great!

Thanks!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    imbalances
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh and wake gainers always give me spots.. may wanna look into that
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I took this antibiotic for aaaaages (years) and have only just come off it, and I had no idea you had to avoid milk - i took it with milk loads I think!
    As far as my experience goes, I didn't have any issues with this, and I even drank alcohol for the entirety of my treatment and it didn't affect me at all (as far as I know), the only think I was wary of was that it decreases the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill - not an issue in your case!
    If you are worried, then just take the antibiotic as far away (time wise) from your weight gain shake.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueBearBC)
    Ok I know this gets asked a lot but I'm yet to see a well put together answer.

I'm taking "Tetralysal 300 (lymecycline)" which is an antibiotic for Acne, with a course lasting around 6 months (I'm on my 6 month now and my doctor has prescbribed it for another 2 atleast)

It states on the box that I should avoid Milk and medicines containing Zinc and Iron (It says in the instructions "Moderate levels of milk should not effect the absorbtion of Tetralysal" and to "Wait atleast 2 hours after taking the medication before eating or taking remedies containing Zinc or Iron.

Problem is my weight gain shake contains all of what I'm told to avoid

I spoke to my doctor about taking protein at the same time as the medication and she wasn't even aware I was to avoid dairy/zinc/iron.... infact her response was "I didn't know you have to avoid them.... if it says to avoid it on the box avoid it" but in reality all I want to know is can I take them at different times of the day? if not.... why not?

Any answers based on experience would be great!

Thanks!
    Lymecycline is from a group of antibiotics called the tetracyclines. The problem is that one of their characteristics is to bind to metal ions in your diet, such as zinc and calcium, which inactivates them. Hence you're advised against zinc/calcium supplements or consuming zinc/calcium rich foods within 2 hours of taking them).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.