The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Entry into Aston University to study International Business and Management

Hey all,

just been a few weeks ago when I've decided that I want to intend on going to Aston University to study International Business and Management. The requirement is 340-360 UCAS points and for students studying the Btec National Diploma in Business (Which is me) need a DDD but the course only runs for 2 years so its only possible for me to get two Ds and 280 UCAS points as a maximum, I was wondering if anyone went through this route and had to enrol into a one year A-level and undertake the 2nd year of the Business diploma? I've also got a Distinction star in IT Practitioners First Diploma, a C in GCSE English, and am retaking my Maths GCSE next week which am aiming to get a C in. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me out whether taking a one year A-level with my 2nd year on the BND Business course will enable me to get the DDD grade which should consist of 340-360 UCAS points in total and the C in Maths.

Kindest Regards,

John.
Reply 1
Original post by mossinator
Hey all,

just been a few weeks ago when I've decided that I want to intend on going to Aston University to study International Business and Management. The requirement is 340-360 UCAS points and for students studying the Btec National Diploma in Business (Which is me) need a DDD but the course only runs for 2 years so its only possible for me to get two Ds and 280 UCAS points as a maximum, I was wondering if anyone went through this route and had to enrol into a one year A-level and undertake the 2nd year of the Business diploma? I've also got a Distinction star in IT Practitioners First Diploma, a C in GCSE English, and am retaking my Maths GCSE next week which am aiming to get a C in. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me out whether taking a one year A-level with my 2nd year on the BND Business course will enable me to get the DDD grade which should consist of 340-360 UCAS points in total and the C in Maths.

Kindest Regards,

John.

I don't know about your BTEC, but you won't be able to study business anywhere respectable without a minimum of a B in maths and English at GCSE. All of the courses mention this just under the A level requirements. Infant, most of them prefer AS/A2 maths as well.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply George I really it. I have looked up the requirements on the Aston website and it depends what else you're studying with International Business for example if I was to take Economics along with it then I would need a minimum of a B in Maths but it does state that for International Business with Management I need a C in English and Maths and I have a level 2 Btec qualification which is equivalent to 5 GCSE's A*-C, I'll be attending their open day on the 17th I think it is so I'll hopefully get as much guidance as I can through current students and lecturers who can answer my questions. It's quite tough considering options after Higher Education.
Reply 3
I will be at the open day too, maybe see you there. I would definitely try and get a B in your maths though. It will put you in a much better stance come application time

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
It'll be good to see you there George. For Maths, I've been entered into the foundation paper because I got a great percentage on the non calculator but for the calculator I got an appalling percentage and there was a big difference which then concluded with my lecturer and I agreeing that Foundation might be best for me because I'd understand the majority of questions so C is the highest I'll be able to achieve and am going to be completely honest and say I might not be able to reach the entry requirements unless if I talk to the head of Business to put me on to the 2nd year of the extended diploma otherwise I won't have enough tariff points to get on the course so we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Reply 5
Original post by mossinator
It'll be good to see you there George. For Maths, I've been entered into the foundation paper because I got a great percentage on the non calculator but for the calculator I got an appalling percentage and there was a big difference which then concluded with my lecturer and I agreeing that Foundation might be best for me because I'd understand the majority of questions so C is the highest I'll be able to achieve and am going to be completely honest and say I might not be able to reach the entry requirements unless if I talk to the head of Business to put me on to the 2nd year of the extended diploma otherwise I won't have enough tariff points to get on the course so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about your maths I had to re take it from school and only managed a C and I have all the soft A levels. Aston ask for 5 A*-C grades at GCSE only good business school which asks this. They offer loads of support especially for maths. Iv not had a problem finding a placement or a grad role in fact had 3 offers for technology roles.

I assume it would be different if u want to do economics or accounting for example.

You should both come to Aston its an amazing experience!! and regardless of what the media says there are jobs out there for the right graduates

good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by gem89
Hi

I wouldn't worry too much about your maths I had to re take it from school and only managed a C and I have all the soft A levels. Aston ask for 5 A*-C grades at GCSE only good business school which asks this. They offer loads of support especially for maths. Iv not had a problem finding a placement or a grad role in fact had 3 offers for technology roles.

I assume it would be different if u want to do economics or accounting for example.

You should both come to Aston its an amazing experience!! and regardless of what the media says there are jobs out there for the right graduates

good luck :smile:

Just seen your post Gem, thanks for letting me know about this, am interested in studying International Business with Management. I really do want to go but it depends on getting my Maths GCSE, and high tariff points on my current course combined with a course which I'd need to enroll for this September to meet Aston's requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest