(Original post by cremecup)
I was wondering if someone could possibly help me. Sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything like that.
I have just finished my first year at the Unversity of Edinburgh and am currently awaiting my exam results. My degree is MA English Literature, and I do outside subjects in Linguistics & English Language 1, and Psychology 1.
I'm no longer sure that English is the degree that I wish to pursue. I initially wanted to apply for Psychology; did all the work experience and reading... then I decided that I wanted to be an English teacher. I am now going progressively off that idea. Writing is something I have always excelled at, it's the thing that comes most easy to me, but I just can't see myself being a good teacher, or journalist, or publisher...
I am contemplating changing to my degree to Psychology: I have all of the necessary credits for the MA (For 1st year, Psychology 1, and for 2nd year, Psychology 2). If only Edinburgh allowed a qualification of English Literature & Psychology or vice versa, but alas it is not the case.
Another possibility could perhaps be doing the Psychology degree conversion course at the end of an English degree to keep my options open for as long as possible... but that could be a year I could be doing something else.
I do not want to change my degree after speaking to my DOS and then regret it. When is it too late to decide my absolute final degree? Is it the end of second year, when I decide the honours that I wish to focus on then?
Would I have to change my SAAS declarations? I know of the 'false start' thing, but is that only if, for example, you were studying Medicine then decided after first year that you wanted to do like PE afterall.
Sorry, I realise how jumbled this all is. When is the absolute latest point for me to have decided what degree I want to take? Will this have any influence on the tuition fees I have been provided thus far? Should I stick with my initial degree until the very last minute, at risk of me changing my mind (unlikely, but probably the sensible option I imagine. I remember reading somewhere that the likelihood of being re-accepted onto single honours lit, given the competitive nature, is entirely slim.)
I know I should know all this stuff given I have been at the place for a year already. I just didn't want to bombard my DOS when I haven't completely decided or do not completely know the facts.