The Student Room Group

A-level maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bestofyou
guess I hit a nerve somewhere in there to get a reaction like this from you. I don't think that my sexuality has anything to do with anything here you homophobic piece of crap.

How was my post remotely biased?

How was it arrogant?

bitch....please

Almost all posts here are helpful, even if some are blunt. Your post revolved around complete sarcasm. I suggest you re read it if your memories so bad. you're unable to retain your own information. It's quite funny you wrote all that for what? A desperate attempt for attention.
Original post by theking1
Almost all posts here are helpful, even if some are blunt. Your post revolved around complete sarcasm. I suggest you re read it if your memories so bad. you're unable to retain your own information. It's quite funny you wrote all that for what? A desperate attempt for attention.

that wasn't addressed to you, so I don't know why you are taking such a hissy fit over it.

I only addressed you at the point when I said 'OP', nothing before was for you so maybe get your facts straight.

After I said OP, there wasn't a single bit of sarcasm in there...

and I wrote it because, incase you haven't looked outside it is ****ing miserable and I am bored as hell.
This thread
Bitchy comments.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'd say do it! Its a good a-level subject. You wont struggle as long you'll be willing to put effort in doing it.
Take it. At A-level you will naturally try harder because they're much harder subjects. You'll understand everything in no time. Maths is much easier than the A-level sciences anyway i.e. physics, chemistry (maybe not biology)
Reply 46
Was wondering if I should take it.

If I'm at B/C at GCSE level would I struggle too much?

If you're willing to work hard then go for it. You might find it clicks at A-Level. For example, I hated GCSE Maths, but I really like A-Level; it seems much more structured and useful. It might also be worth adding though that our college won't actually take students who have less than an A in Maths, so they obviously believe it is necessary to be grade A or above.
Reply 47
Original post by ChemGraduate
Bitchy comments.

Sorry. It just annoys me when people post without anything constructive to say. But again, thanks for your advice :smile:
NGL, I'm not too confident. 3 months ago I was on a E/D average. It's only in the last 2 months have I started to take interest in the subject getting me a B/C average (mostly C average)- however it's different circumstances considering at AS you study 4 in comparison to 7. idk...:s-smilie:

Yes but you study the 4 in a lot of depth and their is a significant difference in the difficulty.

My question is: Do you like maths? Are you willing to work at it to improve your ability?

If your answer to both of those is yes, go for it.
There is little correlation between GCSE grades and A Level grades. If you don't put in a lot of effort, then no, you won't succeed. Work hard and challenge yourself, you'll look back and wonder what the fuss was all about :smile:
Reply 50
I think maths is just all about working hard. I used to hate maths in primary school; never bothered.Same with years 7-9 I got really low levels such as a 5c for maths at the end of year8. Which was so bad! ( I feel embarrassed :colondollar: ). However in years 10 and 11 I put in maixmum effort and I've got an A* in GCSE Maths. Just try and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 51
NGL, I'm not too confident. 3 months ago I was on a E/D average. It's only in the last 2 months have I started to take interest in the subject getting me a B/C average (mostly C average)- however it's different circumstances considering at AS you study 4 in comparison to 7. idk...:s-smilie:

Well if so just read same books this summer and try to get ur head around. If u find too difficult, just change it when u enrol.

Reply 52
Original post by aq923
Well if so just read same books this summer and try to get ur head around. If u find too difficult, just change it when u enrol.

I hope I can, I'm only going to get a C grade, dunno what the requirement is for A level maths at a sixth form.. But I doubt I can despite getting two C grades
I hope I can, I'm only going to get a C grade, dunno what the requirement is for A level maths at a sixth form.. But I doubt I can despite getting two C grades

B is the normal minimum requirement to be able to choose A level maths.
Reply 54

B is the minimum grade they normally ask for. But if really keen to do maths for ur alevel u can always go talk to the head of alevel maths, which in this case u MUST show them you are keen to take maths and have done a lot of preparation for it.
Reply 55
Original post by aq923
B is the minimum grade they normally ask for. But if really keen to do maths for ur alevel u can always go talk to the head of alevel maths, which in this case u MUST show them you are keen to take maths and have done a lot of preparation for it.

Well it's a new sixth form I'm attending, I thought perhaps, if in the occasion I do take it, not knowing me from the past they might feel quite reluctant do to only having 2 C's. I wonder if they would give me a months trial, or something?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Yh u can just simple visit that 6th form and find the head of maths, and speak to him about it in person. I'm sure they will welcome to take you. :smile:

Reply 57
Original post by aq923
Yh u can just simple visit that 6th form and find the head of maths, and speak to him about it in person. I'm sure they will welcome to take you. :smile:

ah great to hear, what subjects do you take? :smile:
Reply 58
Ks3 to GCSE in stepwise is like this...
small steps.jpg

But if you are willing to keep working hard than from gcse to a-level is similar, but if you are slacking back and feel exhausted(or however it is spelt) then the steps will seem steeper, but like i said before work hard and keep ontop of those steps and it will feel like cutting butter with a samurai sword (probably exageration), truthfully for me i felt as if icouldn't do it, but with a little push i done excellently (in my opinion, in the june 2012 maths exams), make sure you are ready for the MATHS, and a whole lot of algebra:biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by Maphs
Ks3 to GCSE in stepwise is like this...
small steps.jpg

But if you are willing to keep working hard than from gcse to a-level is similar, but if you are slacking back and feel exhausted(or however it is spelt) then the steps will seem steeper, but like i said before work hard and keep ontop of those steps and it will feel like cutting butter with a samurai sword (probably exageration), truthfully for me i felt as if icouldn't do it, but with a little push i done excellently (in my opinion, in the june 2012 maths exams), make sure you are ready for the MATHS, and a whole lot of algebra:biggrin:

I love you X much.

Find x. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest