The Student Room Group

A-level maths

Scroll to see replies

if you like the subject then definitely do it.

if you personally struggle at maths a lot then its probably best to stay away since a level is a lot harder than gcse.

This wasn't posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 61
Original post by DickDastardly
if you like the subject then definitely do it.

if you personally struggle at maths a lot then its probably best to stay away since a level is a lot harder than gcse.

This wasn't posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Mhm, if I did do it, I generally would have to work **** hard. I do that anyone but probably not for maths atm :tongue: what was your experience with it like>
Reply 62
Original post by theking1
ah great to hear, what subjects do you take? :smile:

I took maths chem and physics. I'm just about to finish all my exams soon. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 63
GCSE is a joke really. I got a B in GCSE Maths and still didn't have a clue about basic things like factorising, trigonometry, indices etc. The jump to A level Maths was crazy hard but I worked my ass off essentially learning the basics GCSE should have taught me at the same time as doing AS. I worked my ass off and got an A in the end but it was so much harder than my other A levels, I'm now doing Further Maths and on track for an A or possibly A*. If you enjoy Maths and are prepared to work, do it. It's worth the effort.
Reply 64
Original post by Darkarium
GCSE is a joke really. I got a B in GCSE Maths and still didn't have a clue about basic things like factorising, trigonometry, indices etc. The jump to A level Maths was crazy hard but I worked my ass off essentially learning the basics GCSE should have taught me at the same time as doing AS. I worked my ass off and got an A in the end but it was so much harder than my other A levels, I'm now doing Further Maths and on track for an A or possibly A*. If you enjoy Maths and are prepared to work, do it. It's worth the effort.

thats genuinely amazing, Tell me more :redface:
Reply 65
Please don't hesitate to post your opinion. I'm sure this thread could be used to help other people in a similar situation. Thanks

I'm currently a Student studying for my GCSE's. For one of my A level options I'm considering taking Maths A-level.

At the moment, I'm working at a B/C grade, but I think this is due to my personal school life as generally I work hard. In my class, because I'm in a lower set it's much harder to concentrate as you get a lot of morons who don't really care about doing well in the subject. Although I'm not Einstein at it, Maths is an interesting subject, to which I could definitely see myself doing.

However, the A-level itself is extremely hard, being at such a low grade of a C- I'm not sure whether I could Cope? -----------If I were to put the effort in additionally, would I be able to do well in it?

Before i used to HATE maths, and therefore was on a D grade :/

Recently, randomly, I took a GREAT interest in it, and did the edexcel papers, predicting from the mark scheme and predicted grade boundaries I'm on for an A/A*
So in a way, you'll easily do better in a subject if you are motivated, ready to learn and happy with yourself doing it. If you enjoy maths, do it! It's definitely worth it.

Answering your question, I think you could, however if you end up with a C overall make sure to check with your college if they'll let you, because from my understanding you need a B minimum to get in the course.
Good luck :smile:
Mhm, if I did do it, I generally would have to work **** hard. I do that anyone but probably not for maths atm :tongue: what was your experience with it like>

if you have to work any more than 4 hours a day on maths homework and related work / problems / extra problems, just to achieve a C then it probably isn't the right choice of a level for yourself to take.
Reply 67
Original post by Darkarium

This is post has motivated me so much, thank you! :smile: - On a side note, what books did you read and/or websites that you found exceptionally helpful for you to achieve this grade and predicted etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 68
The exams for AQA can be brutal! But the content in general is ok! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest