The Student Room Group

Low grades and university offers!! :L

My AS subjects are- biology, chemistry, maths and media studies [odd one right??]. Anyway, when, I started my As level i wasn't really in the right frame of mind and did not realise the big jump from gcse's to AS. So, in January module exams i got Biology- E, Chemistry- D and in maths- C. I decided to retake them all in april/may. BY1 went well but BY2 went horrible. Both chemistry modules went alright. C1 retake was horrible but C2 went quite well and Stats i think i failed miserably despite my 25% extra time. Saying so, I did alright in my summer mocks (just before the real exam). In biology i got a B, in chemistry a D, in maths 2B's (C2 and S1), and in media studies an A. My plans are to drop media at A level since it has nothing to do with my dream of being a biomedical scientist. I really really want to be one. However, my grades are demotivating and really tbh i feel like a complete loser in life.

I dont know if i would ever get into a decent university with those grades. I personally do not think so... But, is there any hopes for me...do you think???

btw even though A level courses haven't started but i have started to study my subjects just to be ahead of the game. Cuz i plan to work harder and possibly get better grades.

Also, not sure if i should take a gap year and improve my grades? :confused:
Reply 1
There's still a chance to resit your AS's next year if needs be, although it'd be a lot more work on top of your A2's. Personally, I wouldn't take a gap year, I'd redo the whole of AS if that was possible (that's as an alternative to doing a gap year, not the final decision)

At least you're getting ahead of the game with starting the work for next year. I think you should use the 'bad' grades as a boost to your next year and now you know you'll have to put the work in.

Research the ideal universities you want to go to. See what their grade requirements are and from your current grades, calculate the UMS points you already have (will be better to do this in August when you have your results) then you know what you'd need to achieve in your next exams to get into that University.

All is not lost though so I wouldn't worry too much. It might be a case of lowering your ideal University expectations if it comes to it.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jam tart
My AS subjects are- biology, chemistry, maths and media studies [odd one right??]. Anyway, when, I started my As level i wasn't really in the right frame of mind and did not realise the big jump from gcse's to AS. So, in January module exams i got Biology- E, Chemistry- D and in maths- C. I decided to retake them all in april/may. BY1 went well but BY2 went horrible. Both chemistry modules went alright. C1 retake was horrible but C2 went quite well and Stats i think i failed miserably despite my 25% extra time. Saying so, I did alright in my summer mocks (just before the real exam). In biology i got a B, in chemistry a D, in maths 2B's (C2 and S1), and in media studies an A. My plans are to drop media at A level since it has nothing to do with my dream of being a biomedical scientist. I really really want to be one. However, my grades are demotivating and really tbh i feel like a complete loser in life.

I dont know if i would ever get into a decent university with those grades. I personally do not think so... But, is there any hopes for me...do you think???

btw even though A level courses haven't started but i have started to study my subjects just to be ahead of the game. Cuz i plan to work harder and possibly get better grades.

Also, not sure if i should take a gap year and improve my grades? :confused:

To become a biomedical science you need to get onto an accredited degree and from what I've read. In terms of revision, you really heed to study 'smart', don't revise to learn the stuff, study past papers lots of them and use the specification to make notes if you make any. In terms of uni, you can choose to do another year of sixth form or you could apply to a biomedical science degree with an intergrated foundation year.
This is just general advise. I'm 24 yrs old; when I did my AS's back in 2004 I was like you, not really ready for the jump. I had the same, not committed attitude that I had in GCSE. Needless to say I got a overall C, D and a U at the end of the year. Even though this was all happening I was more interested in doing overtime in my evening job. I never revised, like in my life. I just assumed that I would walz into uni. It wasnt until I was forced to move and abandon education, that i realised what a mistake I had made. I am now in my final week of exams (next week) doing an Access to HE diploma; and I must say that education is now my number 1 priority. I am restricted on the uni i can go to as i now have 2 small children, so cant go to 'the best' but the time off has allowed me to re-evaluate. I now have the equivelant of all A's in all of my modules and can honestly say I have better marks and more understanding than i had first time round. If i had got into uni back in 2005, i wouldnt of been able to cope and might have dropped out. Btw, a girl on my course was accepted to do biomedical science, so it is possible that even if you dont get in with your A-levels to go down the mature student route. Obviously try this time round, but if mistakes happen, its not your only chance. Best of luck. And please dont work while doing school, its much too hard at this time in your life, that was my mistake.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone for all your responses!! Urghhh... not really in the mood to grow up! lol I wish i was still 15 or something! meh.. :L

But, yess.. thanks for the motivation! <3
Original post by Jam tart

It's pretty common for people to not get what they want in terms of pre-university qualifications. Ultimately, there are two ways to go about it:

1 - Blame every shortcoming and misfortune on the fact you didn't get a decent headstart.

2 - Be patient, have a sense of direction and work hard.

Speaking completely from experience, I know how you feel. I got BCD in Biology, Chemistry and English Lit and completely bricked myself at the idea of going to a 'bad' university doing what was considered a fall back degree. Worked fairly hard but ended up coming out with a 2ii and it was around the time we were balls deep in the recession so panic came round once again. Had absolutely no ****ing idea what to do as applying for a job was hard work and the dream job I wanted required a bit more than just a 2ii.

Went back to University for advice on what to do Lecturers were really supportive and advised I do a Masters. The trouble was applying to 'good' universities from a 'bad' one and how they sort of don't take just anybody unless they have a 2i or above. So he told me, in a more inspirational way, to man up.

8 months later, got myself a job and the valuable work experience that everybody asks for as well as a place on the perfect Masters which facilitates what I've thought about doing for just under three years now.

Truth is this: if things don't go right the first time, options will still be open. It'll just take a little longer. Natural academics/book smart people will nail it first time, people who aren't so accustomed to exams and the like may take an extra couple of years. Knowing what you want to do exactly gives you a plan of what you need to do in order to be where you want to be. Get that first and sort out the credentials later on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending