Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Christian women wear head coverings?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions just as I handed them on to you.

But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the husband is the head of his wife, and God is the head of Christ.

Any man who prays or prophesies with something on his head disgraces his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head—it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved.

For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil.

For a man ought not to have his head veiled, since he is the image and reflection of God; but woman is the reflection of man. Indeed, man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for the sake of woman, but woman for the sake of man.

For this reason a woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man or man independent of woman.

For just as woman came from man, so man comes through woman; but all things come from God. Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled?

Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair, it is degrading to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. But if anyone is disposed to be contentious— we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God"

1 Corinthians 11: 2-16
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Christians generally disregard most of the old testament and mostly follow the new testament.

Why the neg?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they should do if they are fundamentalist xians. If they are not, then they can make up their own minds.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you see the pics of Virgin Mary, she is not just wearing a head covering, but she's dressed modestly as well. So yes they can wear it if they're modestly overall, no if not. Either way is their choice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not. What a stupid idea. Why do some theists have such bonkers ideas?

They should wear minis and low cut tops.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, only the hardcores though - it would make them more easily identifiable as frigid and hence save me a lot of time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is right or wrong answer to this question as the question is subjective. I believe that Christian women should dress modestly and appropriately. Some churches code of conduct is that during Sunday services women must cover their head out of respect and honour to God. However, this should not become an issue for those Christians that do not cover their head. It is all about reverence. The passage the OP is referring to was said by Paul, who at the time was witnessing Christian women acting immorally thus he had to reintroduce this discipline so that the women would not stumble in their faith. Thus I feel each Christian women to their own. They have reasons for what they do and I don't feel that this should affect their relationship with God, nor become an issue.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I will say is this,

Now before some of you hypocritical Christians (not all, some great Christians out there) try and neg me and say wearing a headscarf is oppressive and all Muslims are extreme etc.

Just look at Mary.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That awkward moment when people in 2012 try to live according to a book written in approximately 1400 B.C. to 400 B.C (Old Testament) and c. 45 AD and c. 96 AD (New Testament).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't Mary Jewish?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit unlikely Mary would have blue eyes.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Man is the head of his wife" What a moronic backwards sexist idea.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.partridge)
    Yeah, only the hardcores though - it would make them more easily identifiable as frigid and hence save me a lot of time
    You've stolen my joke :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well in Islamic theology we have this concept of usool ul fiqh, which basically means the basis of rulings.
    here is where our problem, if you could call it that, lies. in our usool, or our 'basis'.
    lemme show you the difference with an example
    an asl (plural of usool) can be a rule or an idea that governs and affects all our judgements in our rulings for example
    if our basis is 'the bible is the literal word of god' then any commandment in the bible would weigh heavily when we decide on rulings because it is gods command (and following gods commands is basically what religion is) but if our usool are different for example the bible isn't considered the word of god then that 'asl' would mean that commandments in the bible aren't given as much weight. so they're not as important

if Christians see the bible as the literal word of god, then yes they should wear a head covering but the fact is that's not the case for most Christians they don't see it as the word of god. or if they do they have other differing 'usool' that means the ruling on head scarves is waived.

sorry to use the arabic, but its the only way i could get my idea accross, and thats my two cents.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alot of Christian women wear veils or scarves to cover their heads in church...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's common for women to wear headscarves at Orthodox services. Note that St Paul doesn't state that women should have their heads covered all the time, only when praying.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was only in church? The context makes all the difference right?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not if they dont want to, and if God really does care about the things he's created not wearing a headscarf when they worship him even if they live religious lives then he has some serious control issues to work out. It's stuff like this I think where some of the contemporary views of the time creep into the bible to be honest, as I assume by Corinthians we're talking about Paul's various letters to them yes? In which case he is bound to have had some of his own opinions put in either conciously or subconciously about the place of men and women in society at some point in his writings if he was talking about the subject.

Of course none of this is testable on whether God really does give a crap about women covering their hair, so really I'd say its up to the individual, if they want to, fine, if they dont fine - as I said above, surely God cares about more important aspects of faith than whether someone wears a rag on their head...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    Not if they dont want to, and if God really does care about the things he's created not wearing a headscarf when they worship him even if they live religious lives then he has some serious control issues to work out.
    One has to remember that St Paul was responding to specific issues faced by the church in Corinth. The key issue is one of modesty. The choice by many Orthodox women to wear a headscarf in church is, I suspect, a symbol for them of modesty and virtue in life, and a reminder of their importance. I very much doubt, however, that the difference between heaven and hell is a headscarf at vespers!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not unless they're on a building site or it's cold outside.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 21, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.