The Student Room Group
Reply 1
its really hard finding out which uni's are best for english language coz there doesn't seem to be much info out there when it comes to english language! it wont really matter which you go to from a reputation point of view as both are very good unis respected by employers.. ive never been to manchester but ive been to sheffield and i thought that was really nice. ive heard its smaller and definitely greener than manchester.. i think you should try and visit the places, its the only way of knowing for sure which one will suit you! :smile:
I have a friend doing lang at sheffield and he really seems to like it.
He is on here if you want to ask him stuff.
His user name is Guitarmarama.
Reply 3
hailz202
Which is better for English language??

I'm going to apply (through UCAS Extra) at either one and would really appreciate any opinions of the courses or unis!!

Thanks in advance!!

hayley

In terms of which is better academically I have no idea, in terms of overall awsomeness sheffield. I am however extremely biased as I live there.
You havn't applied to either though?! Is it for a friend or something?
Reply 5
UCAS Extra
Reply 6
What's UCAS extra?
Reply 7
WHere you can apply to one more uni as long as you hold no offers and there are places on the course (on normal course search, corses with spaces have an 'x' beside them)

If that uni rejects you or you reject their offer, you can apply to another etc etc up until june when it finishes
but you have offers, doesn't that mean you're not eligible?
Reply 9
I'm thinking of cancelling them and going through Extra
Reply 10
Well, when I applied I applied for both of them and was offered a place. But I didn't end up going to either of them. Personally, due to where I am I would say Manchester as it's a cool city but academically I don't know. I applied for Manchester because I desperately wanted to stay at home but I wasn't all that keen on the actual course personally. I do know however that Manchester is a very very good university.

I'd also recommend visiting the places as this way you'll get a feel for them and also get chance to talk to a tutor about them. After all, one might have the best ratings academically but if you hate the place you're probably going to be better off somewhere you're comfortable living for three years.
Reply 11
I'd go for Sheffield cause there both cities but Sheffield has a better reputation overall - that said I might be biased cos I applied to Sheffield and got an offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending