The Student Room Group

Weight Loss Motivation, Support, and My Story.

Scroll to see replies

Can't believe 2 people negged you! Great work OP
Original post by Faith01
I can't bring myself to go on treadmill everday! :frown:

Trust me, after 5 mins on the treadmill you'll be buzzing. You just need the motivation to get on there. Just blast some music and get going xx
Reply 22
Original post by Faith01
It's easier for me to stop eating certain foods and have much smaller portions but I can't bring myself to go on treadmill everday! :frown:

You don't have to go on the treadmill every day! There are tons of ways of exercising and getting fit, you just have to find something you enjoy.
Running outside is (IMO) much more fun that the treadmill - you get fresh air and better scenery, plus you can vary the terrain so it's better for your legs.
Swimming.
Cycling.
Lifting weights.
Bodyweight exercises.
Rowing.
Playing a sport like tennis, football, netball.
Hill walking.

Find something you enjoy and it won't be a chore that you have to "bring yourself" to do - you will look forward to it!
Original post by HFerguson
Can't believe 2 people negged you! Great work OP

Haters gonna hate :P.

Original post by That's So Fetch
Trust me, after 5 mins on the treadmill you'll be buzzing. You just need the motivation to get on there. Just blast some music and get going xx

Agree 100%! Was going to post something in more detail but Becca got there first :biggrin:.

Original post by That's So Fetch
Wow, congratualtions on your success, you've done super well. Your thread is so encouraging and inspiring and you have shown the right way to lose weight and become helathy and i appreciate that.

Did/do you have emotional issues with food? I have these issues with food and i'm working on overcoming them with hypnotherapy. How i see it is that we should all change mentally and emotionally as well as physically when losing weight so that we can maintain our weight loss.

What are your plans for maintaining your weight loss?

xx

Thank you. Yes I used food as a coping mechanism for a long time. I thought it made me feel better when things were going wrong, but deep down I knew it was just making my life worse. I got bullied because of my weight, so I comfort ate and made the problem worse. The human mind is bizarre, but with lots of help and support from friends and family I managed to beat it. I still have times where I just want to eat everything in sight, but only when I'm on my own and bored.. and even then a "binge" now is nothing like what it was before.

With regards to maintaining, I've managed to get fairly active day to day to the point where I could increase my calories by about 800 a day and still not gain weight. So I'm going to increase exercise and calories gradually until I'm happy with where I am.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I've been told by a lot of people recently that I should do a proper thread about weight loss, because there are many who could benefit from some motivation. For a long time, I shrugged this off, because I didn't know who would want to learn from me- someone who was just another person trying to lose weight. But from posts that I made on another forum, I learned that for some reason, people seem to like my story, and it seems to encourage them to make changes in their own lives. I will use plenty of spoiler tags in this, so you can simply read the bit you're interested in, and ignore the rest of it.

If there is anything that you'd like to know that I haven't covered, please feel free to post your questions below and I will add them to the thread whenever I can. It's important to me that I answer everyone's questions, as I wish that I'd had someone to do that for me when I first started.

About Me.

Spoiler

My Weight Loss Story.

Spoiler

Before/After Photo.

Spoiler

My Diet.

Spoiler

Exercise.

Spoiler

Keeping Yourself Motivated.

Spoiler

F.A.Qs.

Spoiler

I understand that this might not appeal to everyone, but if you're not interested please just leave. I don't usually bother about being negged, but I spent quite a long time on this thread so it's bit annoying when people just neg and run (although obviously I can see who you are).

Well done on your weight loss and good informational thread, I'm from Bootle, Liverpool and going to study Psychology and Criminology in September at hope. I'm trying to find books that will help a newbie in psychology can you name a book that's for newbies as id like to know a little before i go :biggrin: thanks
Original post by shaunadamjones
Well done on your weight loss and good informational thread, I'm from Bootle, Liverpool and going to study Psychology and Criminology in September at hope. I'm trying to find books that will help a newbie in psychology can you name a book that's for newbies as id like to know a little before i go :biggrin: thanks

Hope recommends "Psychology" by Martin, Carlson and Buskist for first years, but you might want to drop them an email to make sure that's still the recommended text because it's not cheap! I'm not sure about criminology as I did straight psych, but it was good fun and I met lots of lovely people. Oh and the campus is nice :smile:

Edit: I have friends in Bootle :biggrin:
Reply 26
AMAZING AND INSPIRING. Sorry I had to write that in caps lock to really project my awe. You must be so proud of yourself, please tell us any funny or uplifting stories you faced during your weightloss journey e.g. if you met a friend you hadn't seen in a long time.
Original post by Luxray
AMAZING AND INSPIRING. Sorry I had to write that in caps lock to really project my awe. You must be so proud of yourself, please tell us any funny or uplifting stories you faced during your weightloss journey e.g. if you met a friend you hadn't seen in a long time.

I can't really think of any funny stories as such, but there have been a lot of people who haven't seen me for a long time who were impressed. I like it when I see people who bullied me at school. We only live in a small town so we see everyone all the time, and the look on their face when they realise it's me is brilliant.

I was in a pub having a meal last year, and one of the girls who bullied me was serving. She started speaking to me as though we were best friends or something, as if she hadn't made my life a living hell while I was at school, and she asked me how I'd lost the weight. I told her that it took a lot of motivation, but I wanted to thank her for every nasty comment, every kick, every slap etc; because remembering how I felt when she bullied me was one of the things that gave me so much strength.
Hope recommends "Psychology" by Martin, Carlson and Buskist for first years, but you might want to drop them an email to make sure that's still the recommended text because it's not cheap! I'm not sure about criminology as I did straight psych, but it was good fun and I met lots of lovely people. Oh and the campus is nice :smile:

Edit: I have friends in Bootle :biggrin:

hey thanks very much :smile: Ill look into that as i want a bit of psychology knowledge before hand. Are students allowed to record lectures in Hope by means of Dictaphone or other recording device i find it hard to concentration sometimes Especially if id have a hangover. Do you mind if i add you to my friends just so i can drop you a few questions if i need them?? If not its fine thanks very much for the info and the guide is great ill be following that shortly :smile:
Original post by shaunadamjones
hey thanks very much :smile: Ill look into that as i want a bit of psychology knowledge before hand. Are students allowed to record lectures in Hope by means of Dictaphone or other recording device i find it hard to concentration sometimes Especially if id have a hangover. Do you mind if i add you to my friends just so i can drop you a few questions if i need them?? If not its fine thanks very much for the info and the guide is great ill be following that shortly :smile:

I'd ask each lecturer whether you can record, but any I've ever asked didn't have a problem with it. Plus all lectures are available online afterwards. Yeah feel free to add me :smile:
I can't really think of any funny stories as such, but there have been a lot of people who haven't seen me for a long time who were impressed. I like it when I see people who bullied me at school. We only live in a small town so we see everyone all the time, and the look on their face when they realise it's me is brilliant.

I was in a pub having a meal last year, and one of the girls who bullied me was serving. She started speaking to me as though we were best friends or something, as if she hadn't made my life a living hell while I was at school, and she asked me how I'd lost the weight. I told her that it took a lot of motivation, but I wanted to thank her for every nasty comment, every kick, every slap etc; because remembering how I felt when she bullied me was one of the things that gave me so much strength.

I hope this will happen for me one day, you've done amazingly well and look great :smile:
Reply 31
I like your story its veryINSPIRATIONAL :wink: you have to be proud for your self :smile:))
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pgewrgiou
I like your story its veryINSPIRATIONAL :wink: you have to be proud for your self :smile:))

Thank you :smile:

It must be soo nice to meet all the people who made fun of you in the past now that you look amazing. (I also hope that this happens to me too)
Original post by Chrisateen
It must be soo nice to meet all the people who made fun of you in the past now that you look amazing. (I also hope that this happens to me too)

Haha yeah it was kind of funny, but later I was cringing inside thinking how the hell did I actually have the balls to do that!
you look better when you were fat o_O
Original post by Craming Revision
you look better when you were fat o_O

It was never about how I looked. I didn't feel better, and I wasn't healthy. The things I can do now that I couldn't before are amazing.

I know some guys like bigger girls, but to think that someone is better morbidly obese than a healthy BMI isn't even a point worth discussion IMO.
x.

This should be a sticky for all the girls that come here and ask if eating one grape a day will allow them to lose weight. Amazing transformation, you should be proud!
Original post by Converse Rocker
This should be a sticky for all the girls that come here and ask if eating one grape a day will allow them to lose weight. Amazing transformation, you should be proud!

Thank you, I am :smile: There are lots of girls who have made similar changes, but I'm the only one who likes to ram it down people's throats :wink:.

I just think if I can do it, anyone can, and if I can inspire even ONE person to change their lives then posting hideous photos of myself on the internet would be worth it.
thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest