The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Access to Leeds Discussion

Ok so I'm hoping to do English Lit and Theatre Studies this September at Leeds Uni, I have conditional and I have Sheffield as insurance (same course). BUT I went through the access to leeds scheme which made my Leeds offer BBB (lower than my insurance offer of ABB). I am freaking out because my own predicted results may mean that I cannot go to either despite exceeding the grades... I think I may get AAC which means Leeds would say no because of the C dropping below the straight B treshhold, and Sheffield would be even less impressed by exceeding their offer by one grade but dropping one too and as well being an insurance choice.

I'm of course praying for AAB, which I still could get, but potentially problems will only grow becasue I'm away at drama school for results and clearing!!

Does anyone know what Leeds is like for dropping grades (especially through the access scheme)?
And is anyone in a similar situation??

I'm in weird position right now waiting:eek3:

Scroll to see replies

I've applied through the Leeds access scheme, but i think they will want a full BBB or higher. I don't think they'll care if you get AAC :/

If Leeds' offers went on UCAS points then you'd be fine, but because it doesn't then it might be a bit difficult! Just gotta hope you get the grade, but if not you could always ring them up when results come out and speak to someone about it :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I've also completed the access to Leeds scheme, and now my insurance has a higher grade requirement than my Leeds offer, so i'm feeling quite worried ATM.

If you don't get the grades just phone up and plead with them?
Hopefully you won't have to.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Spose you'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Reply 4
Hi guys,

Does anybody know anything about Access to Leeds? When do you have to apply for it etc?

I'm applying for Uni in the next few weeks for 2012 by the way.

I really want to go to Leeds to study German and the typical offer is ABC/BBB. My predictions don't quite meet the entry req. as they're BBC. I'm definitely applying to Leeds so is it worth trying to get on the Access to Leeds programme?! So that, if successful, i'd be able to receive a lower offer?

Thanks if anybody could help :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah, go for it! I had entry requirements of AAB but I passed access and got in with BBB, so yours should be like BCC? I think it knocks two grades off. Not sure when you have to apply, maybe talk to your college/phone Leeds up? Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Go for it as soon as possible, I got in through the Access to Leeds scheme. You get given two assignments to do, one is Study Skills (just to make sure you can cope with the workload) and the other is Subject-based. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies guys! When should I apply for it? I haven't actually sent my UCAS application off yet so do I apply for A2L after this?
What parts of the criteria did you guys meet?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I met all of them except the postcode I think? And I think you apply at the same time/after UCAS, not really sure though, you fill in an application form.
Reply 9
Also applying for this access scheme! Hopefully they'll consider me carefully and if they are persuaded enough by my whole application, they'll give me a lower offer
Reply 10
Original post by faithxfaye
Also applying for this access scheme! Hopefully they'll consider me carefully and if they are persuaded enough by my whole application, they'll give me a lower offer

cool! which of the criteria do you meet? :smile:
Reply 11
I've applied for Leeds, I got ABC and the entry requirements is ABB :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by jgruet
I've applied for Leeds, I got ABC and the entry requirements is ABB :smile:

Cool, your predictions are ABC? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by JakeE10
Hi guys,

Does anybody know anything about Access to Leeds? When do you have to apply for it etc?

I'm applying for Uni in the next few weeks for 2012 by the way.

I really want to go to Leeds to study German and the typical offer is ABC/BBB. My predictions don't quite meet the entry req. as they're BBC. I'm definitely applying to Leeds so is it worth trying to get on the Access to Leeds programme?! So that, if successful, i'd be able to receive a lower offer?

Thanks if anybody could help :smile:

i was wondering, if it is only for year 13 students or students who are in year 12 (first year of a level)
Reply 14
You should apply through Access to Leeds after you've sent your UCAS application off. Remember you must apply to Leeds as one of your five choices and this will then appear as a sixth option on your UCAS. Keep in mind that to take advantage of the reduced requirements through A2L, you must make Leeds your firm choice and successfully complete two assessed pieces of work. Obviously, the scheme doesn't guarantee you an offer in the first place either.

You can download the application form here.
Most of the information you need to know is on the PDF here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/downloads/Access_to_Leeds_leaflet.pdf

I've sent both of them off now and eagerly waiting some replies!
Reply 15
Original post by StitchMad
You should apply through Access to Leeds after you've sent your UCAS application off. Remember you must apply to Leeds as one of your five choices and this will then appear as a sixth option on your UCAS. Keep in mind that to take advantage of the reduced requirements through A2L, you must make Leeds your firm choice and successfully complete two assessed pieces of work. Obviously, the scheme doesn't guarantee you an offer in the first place either.

You can download the application form here.
Most of the information you need to know is on the PDF here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/downloads/Access_to_Leeds_leaflet.pdf

I've sent both of them off now and eagerly waiting some replies!

Thanks for the reply!! How do i go about filling the application form in? Do i fill it out on the computer then print it off or print it out and fill it in hand-written? and plus, how do i send it? In the post? Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by JakeE10
Thanks for the reply!! How do i go about filling the application form in? Do i fill it out on the computer then print it off or print it out and fill it in hand-written? and plus, how do i send it? In the post? Thanks! :biggrin:

It tells you everything on the form...
Reply 17
Original post by JakeE10

Yeah, I printed the application form off and filled it out by hand. It doesn't say anything but I did it all in black pen, block capitals... etc.. etc.

As for your other question: the second page of the application form must be filled out by your referee (ticking criteria, Details and Statement & Declaration). I'm not sure whether your school will be the same, but I just gave it to my Form Tutor (referee) and she is sorting it from there onwards.

Reply 18
Original post by StitchMad
Yeah, I printed the application form off and filled it out by hand. It doesn't say anything but I did it all in black pen, block capitals... etc.. etc.

As for your other question: the second page of the application form must be filled out by your referee (ticking criteria, Details and Statement & Declaration). I'm not sure whether your school will be the same, but I just gave it to my Form Tutor (referee) and she is sorting it from there onwards.

ah right ok, yeah my referee will be my form tutor too! I only meet 3 of the criteria i think :frown: probably don't have much of a chance!! what about you? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by JakeE10
ah right ok, yeah my referee will be my form tutor too! I only meet 3 of the criteria i think :frown: probably don't have much of a chance!! what about you? :smile:

Erm, I think I meet three aswell, but providing you've met two then you qualify! Just need to hope for some offers now! :biggrin:

Latest