Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sometimes I become paralysed when I wake up

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so sometimes (quite frequently) I get very tired during the day and have a nap on the sofa. I sleep well enough at night too but I get up early every day and go to bed quite late. I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping a year or two back and had to take sleeping pills for a bit (stress due to exams + family problems).

When I do sleep in the evening, I'm either fine or it takes me ages to fall asleep. Either way, usually, once I'm asleep I stay asleep and wake up fine when my alarm goes off.

But when I take naps downstairs, it's a different story. I nod off fine because I'm really tired. But when I start to wake up I find that my mind is fully awake and I can hear everything around me but I can't move at all. I'm literally stuck. I can't move any part of my body and I can't talk. I am completely paralysed. I start getting extremely panicked and that just makes things worse. It's the most horrible feeling and I can be like that for minutes. I try and say something because usually my family is home and I can hear them all talking around me but I can't. I assume it's what it feels like to be in a coma. Eventually I just calm myself down enough that my body starts to wake up and after a few seconds of breathing slowly I can open my eyes and move again. Last time it happened I was alone in the room and started panicking. I tried making a sound but literally all that came out of my mouth was muffled squeaks. But I guess that was enough to wake my body up. When I'm like that I literally can't move a thing. I can't even wiggle my fingers or toes. I'm completely stuck. It's horrible and it keeps happening.

My sister says she sometimes has the same issue but she also gets it when she wakes up in the morning sometimes.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it's because I haven't gone into a deep enough sleep so my body is still in the stages of sleep when my mind has woken up. When this happens I've only been asleep for about 30 mins to two hours max. A load of thoughts rush through my mind and I start to worry that I won't ever wake up and my heart starts beating really fast and the more i try and move, the more stuck I seem to be. Then try I calm myself down and wake up.

I was just wondering if there's any way I could prevent it from happening? It makes me feel so weak and helpless and it panicks me so much.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get this all the time. sleep paralysis. it's scary as hell coz sometimes i feel like i cant breathe.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep paralysis is a fairly common happening (I say that. I know several people who get it regularly, which in my mind makes it fairly common ).

I don't know if there's anything you can get from the doctor to help sort it out, but it's worth a try.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sounds like sleep paralysis, my friend had it during the night a couple of times and starting seeing dark figures at the end of his bed or something like that, anyway he said it was the most terrifying thing he'd ever experienced, not to scare you or anything, haha!

But I think it's caused by lots of different things including infrequent, odd sleeping patterns, so maybe try and sleep for longer during the night and try and stop the 2 hour naps..
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep paralysis. You're lucky you don't get these horrible figures and people, it's pretty scary sometimes!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inadilemma)
    Ok, so sometimes (quite frequently) I get very tired during the day and have a nap on the sofa. I sleep well enough at night too but I get up early every day and go to bed quite late. I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping a year or two back and had to take sleeping pills for a bit (stress due to exams + family problems).

When I do sleep in the evening, I'm either fine or it takes me ages to fall asleep. Either way, usually, once I'm asleep I stay asleep and wake up fine when my alarm goes off.

But when I take naps downstairs, it's a different story. I nod off fine because I'm really tired. But when I start to wake up I find that my mind is fully awake and I can hear everything around me but I can't move at all. I'm literally stuck. I can't move any part of my body and I can't talk. I am completely paralysed. I start getting extremely panicked and that just makes things worse. It's the most horrible feeling and I can be like that for minutes. I try and say something because usually my family is home and I can hear them all talking around me but I can't. I assume it's what it feels like to be in a coma. Eventually I just calm myself down enough that my body starts to wake up and after a few seconds of breathing slowly I can open my eyes and move again. Last time it happened I was alone in the room and started panicking. I tried making a sound but literally all that came out of my mouth was muffled squeaks. But I guess that was enough to wake my body up. When I'm like that I literally can't move a thing. I can't even wiggle my fingers or toes. I'm completely stuck. It's horrible and it keeps happening.

My sister says she sometimes has the same issue but she also gets it when she wakes up in the morning sometimes.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it's because I haven't gone into a deep enough sleep so my body is still in the stages of sleep when my mind has woken up. When this happens I've only been asleep for about 30 mins to two hours max. A load of thoughts rush through my mind and I start to worry that I won't ever wake up and my heart starts beating really fast and the more i try and move, the more stuck I seem to be. Then try I calm myself down and wake up.

I was just wondering if there's any way I could prevent it from happening? It makes me feel so weak and helpless and it panicks me so much.

That's really interesting, think its called locked in syndrome?
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably a succubus. Nay-sayers would call it sleep paralysis.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoNottingH)
    Generally it's something you might get as a child, you shouldn't still be getting it now, how old are you?
    I'm 19. I looked up sleep paralysis and it said it's most likely to occur in teen years or early adulthood.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Used to get this in my teen totally terrifying, was always coupled with nightmares that I guess wasnt fully woken up from, not happened in a long while thankfully.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19. I looked up sleep paralysis and it said it's most likely to occur in teen years or early adulthood.
    OK. I heard it was more common in teenage years. I used to get it slightly when I was 11 or 12. Do you get it regularly? Do you smoke dope or drink alcohol?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OK. I heard it was more common in teenage years. I used to get it slightly when I was 11 or 12. Do you get it regularly? Do you smoke dope or drink alcohol?
    I get it now and again. Maybe half of the time I have a nap, so probably a few times a month. And no, I don't smoke dope or drink alcohol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dislocator)
    That's really interesting, think its called locked in syndrome?
    I looked that up - the symptoms sound similar but I reckon it's probably sleep paralysis because locked in syndrome seems to occur after significant trauma or medical problem whereas sleep paralysis fits the context better.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get it now and again. Maybe half of the time I have a nap, so probably a few times a month. And no, I don't smoke dope or drink alcohol.
    Are you under a lot of stress or anxiety?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I looked that up - the symptoms sound similar but I reckon it's probably sleep paralysis because locked in syndrome seems to occur after significant trauma or medical problem whereas sleep paralysis fits the context better.
    It isn't locked-in, that's a really severe condition.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloanegirl)
    Yeah I get this all the time. sleep paralysis. it's scary as hell coz sometimes i feel like i cant breathe.

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Sleep paralysis is a fairly common happening (I say that. I know several people who get it regularly, which in my mind makes it fairly common ).

I don't know if there's anything you can get from the doctor to help sort it out, but it's worth a try.

(Original post by rural_boy)
    Yeah it sounds like sleep paralysis, my friend had it during the night a couple of times and starting seeing dark figures at the end of his bed or something like that, anyway he said it was the most terrifying thing he'd ever experienced, not to scare you or anything, haha!

But I think it's caused by lots of different things including infrequent, odd sleeping patterns, so maybe try and sleep for longer during the night and try and stop the 2 hour naps..

(Original post by Pitt1988)
    Sleep paralysis. You're lucky you don't get these horrible figures and people, it's pretty scary sometimes!

(Original post by miser)
    Probably a succubus. Nay-sayers would call it sleep paralysis.

(Original post by eggnchips)
    Used to get this in my teen totally terrifying, was always coupled with nightmares that I guess wasnt fully woken up from, not happened in a long while thankfully.
    Thanks everyone - yeah it sounds like it's sleep paralysis. I guess there's not much I can do about it apart from try and sleep better. I'm so grateful that I don't see dark figures or horrible things like that. But it's still terrifying though.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here is a good article on the subject from Stanford.

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OMG! This happens to me all the time whenever I doze off in a car! I thought I was just weird, I didn't know that it was an actual thing!

Wow.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you under a lot of stress or anxiety?
    I was a year or two back but not now (exams and big family problems). I'm fairly relaxed at the moment because I'm on a gap year so I don't have any exams.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    OMG! This happens to me all the time whenever I doze off in a car! I thought I was just weird, I didn't know that it was an actual thing!

Wow.
    Hope you're not actually driving when it happens.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It isn't locked-in, that's a really severe condition.
    Yeah I looked it up and it's definitely not that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.