The Student Room Group

GCSE Help

I don't understand why the factor is on the other side of the bracket - (x+v)y - if someone could explain I would be most grateful. When I put (2+3)2 into the calculator it records an error and I have never come across this before so the question might be a mistake. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
As far as i'm aware it should not be like that, so it might just be a typo.
It doesn't matter what side the factor is on.
You just have to expand it normally, e.g. (2+3)2= 4+6= 10
Reply 3
Original post by recurring500
I don't understand why the factor is on the other side of the bracket - (x+v)y - if someone could explain I would be most grateful. When I put (2+3)2 into the calculator it records an error and I have never come across this before so the question might be a mistake. Thanks :smile:

Multiplication is commutative, hence (x+v)×y=y×(x+v) (x+v) \times y = y \times (x+v)

Why do you need to use a calc for it?
Reply 4
just means the same thing, can be either side of the bracket. :smile:
Reply 5
002.jpg

Hope this help sorry out messy writing
Reply 6
Original post by raheem94
Multiplication is commutative, hence (x+v)×y=y×(x+v) (x+v) \times y = y \times (x+v)

Why do you need to use a calc for it?

Well I wanted to see if writing an expression in such a format was possible so I tried (2+3)4 or whatever in the calculator and it came up with error, which would suggest to me that using this format doesn't work. But what you have said does make sense, I'm just confused as to why it has been written as (x+v)y rather than y(x+v). Additionally, I don't suppose you know what the side answer box is for?

I got the answer as (2w-xy)/y

Is this right? It's just the answer box isn't big enough and there is this strange side answer box.
Reply 7
You did not even look at my attachment -_-
Reply 8
Original post by b.benjamin
002.jpg

Hope this help sorry out messy writing

Thanks very much. I got the answer as

(2w-xy)/y but then was confused as to why there was a side answer box and not enough room for this answer. I didn't notice that it could be simplified. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Np :] glad I helped
Original post by b.benjamin
You did not even look at my attachment -_-

I did, but just after I had posted. Sorry. I will give you a + rating tomorrow as I have run out today. Thanks so much!
technically you dont need to expand the brackets

w=(x+v)y2 w = \frac {(x+v)y}{2}

2w=(x+v)y 2w = (x+v)y

2wy=x+v \frac{2w}{y} = x+v

2wyx=v \frac{2w}{y}-x = v
Original post by just george
technically you dont need to expand the brackets

w=(x+v)y2 w = \frac {(x+v)y}{2}

2w=(x+v)y 2w = (x+v)y

2wy=x+v \frac{2w}{y} = x+v

2wyx=v \frac{2w}{y}-x = v

Very clever :smile: