The Student Room Group

How hard will my AS/A levels be?

AS/A level Economics
AS/A level English Language
AS/A level English Literature
AS/A level Government & Politics

Can you rate each one (difficulty) out of 10 please :smile:

Also, I am taking GCSE Maths - Higher Tier and GCSE Science - Core alongside these because I want a B in GCSE Maths and had didn't take any GCSEs in Science.

Rate the GCSEs as well /10 please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Economics - 8/10
English Language and Lit - 7/6ish (depends on if you do Edexcel)
Gov n Pol - 1.5
Reply 2
AS Economics is the only one of those that I've done - it's manageable bordering on easy, content-wise at least. As long as you can write well structured essays the subject isn't challenging at all at this level.
I'd give it a 4 - sorry I can't comment on the others.

GCSE Maths: 1/10. No comment really.
GCSE triple science: Memory game, no difficult concepts. 2/10.

EDIT: If someone disagrees with me enough to thumbs me down, they should at least have the courtesy to let me know why they disagree. It's pretty pointless otherwise, and suggests they simply didn't like what I said without any proper reason.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dentistry:)
Economics - 8/10
English Language and Lit - 7/6ish (depends on if you do Edexcel)
Gov n Pol - 1.5

OCR for Lit, Edex for Lang
I do English Language and English Literature, so I can comment on the level of difficulty for them. I would say 6/10 for English Language, and around 7 or 8/10 for English Literature.
Reply 5
They are hard to rate out of ten, due to the subjectivity of more humanities based subjects, and because everyone finds different aspects of the courses difficult. Personally, I did English Literature AS this year, and it wasn't overly difficult per se, rather that there was a lot of ground to cover and information to take in.
It requires a lot of reading, and in the case of specification B, you study four different novels and two poets, which is a fair amount considering that you have to study that alongside your other AS levels.
However, I wouldn't let that put you off, because if literature is what you like, then it's really great, it's interesting, and there are so many interpretations in all the texts that you can explore at a much deeper level than GCSE. Therefore, I would definitely recommend English Literature, just be ready for a fairly heavy workload :smile:
Good luck with the rest of your exams and your A level choices!
Original post by EsmeA
They are hard to rate out of ten, due to the subjectivity of more humanities based subjects, and because everyone finds different aspects of the courses difficult. Personally, I did English Literature AS this year, and it wasn't overly difficult per se, rather that there was a lot of ground to cover and information to take in.
It requires a lot of reading, and in the case of specification B, you study four different novels and two poets, which is a fair amount considering that you have to study that alongside your other AS levels.
However, I wouldn't let that put you off, because if literature is what you like, then it's really great, it's interesting, and there are so many interpretations in all the texts that you can explore at a much deeper level than GCSE. Therefore, I would definitely recommend English Literature, just be ready for a fairly heavy workload :smile:
Good luck with the rest of your exams and your A level choices!

Not for one exam I take it?
Politics is interesting and easy.

If you want good grades it literally involves just remembering about 3 or 4 essays for each exam and having a bit of general political knowledge.
Reply 8
Original post by Imposition
I don't do any of those AS/A levels so I can't rate them.
Looks to me like you're in for wee bit of writing.

For GCSE Higher tier maths, the Mathswatch CD is all you need.
GCSE Science, tedious at times. Just listen and try to understand.
I won't be rating them out of ten.

Does colouring your text blue perhaps relate to your inner struggle of making yourself stand out in real life? Or perhaps suggest your fear of blending in with society? Or even to a greater extent, display your abhorrence with conformity? Bravo, sir, bravo.
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Politics is interesting and easy.

If you want good grades it literally involves just remembering about 3 or 4 essays for each exam and having a bit of general political knowledge.

I love politics - I am an American politics lover, so A2 should be a blast. Do you get told the question? I doubt it. But what do you mean from remembering essays? Is there a list of 3 or 4 questions that might possibly come up?
Reply 10
Original post by isaacworthington
Not for one exam I take it?

The course (for specification B at least) in the first year is split into two areas-

a) two pieces of coursework which are roughly 5000 when put together, if I remember correctly- both on plays. We studied 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and 'Hamlet'- thankfully the Hamlet question was just on one scene of the play, so we didn't have to write some epic essay on the whole text!

b) one two and a half hour exam on 'aspects of narrative', where you have to write three essays. (2x half an hour, and one last hour essay). The first two questions are on one of the texts you've studied in a lot of detail, and the last question asks for a comparison on one aspect of the narratives across the other novel and the two poets.

As long as you're well prepared, it should be fine, and as I say, it's not extremely difficult, just a little time consuming in terms of getting to grips with the different texts. It's worth it though!
Reply 11
Economics - Personally, I found Economics extremely dull and difficult. I only did it for AS then I dropped it because I really hated it but I think if you really try and revise hard for it then you will understand it well. I'd give it an 8 or 8.5/10 for difficulty

English Literature - Really easy for AS then A2 it suddenly became a lot more difficult because we are not allowed the books in the exam and the topics we study are very tricky (e.g. Paradise Lost, book 9). It really depends on your exam board because my school is with WJEC and I really don't like it. Although it's a challenge I still really like English, I'd give it a 7/10 for difficulty (only because of A2)
I love politics - I am an American politics lover, so A2 should be a blast. Do you get told the question? I doubt it. But what do you mean from remembering essays? Is there a list of 3 or 4 questions that might possibly come up?

Well A2 is pretty cool, it's so much more interesting learning about America.

And it's literally just essays on topics. For example in A2 the topics include the President, the Constitution, Congress.

So say you answer two topics on the exam, you just learn the main essays that come up for each.

E.g. the Constitution is outdated, it is not adaptable, it is not useful, it shouldd be scrapped.

It's literally got to be sometihng along those lines, so easy to literally just learn the basic points, a few examples and get an A.
Well A2 is pretty cool, it's so much more interesting learning about America.

And it's literally just essays on topics. For example in A2 the topics include the President, the Constitution, Congress.

So say you answer two topics on the exam, you just learn the main essays that come up for each.

E.g. the Constitution is outdated, it is not adaptable, it is not useful, it shouldd be scrapped.

It's literally got to be sometihng along those lines, so easy to literally just learn the basic points, a few examples and get an A.

Would that answer any question about the constitution?
Would that answer any question about the constitution?

Sorry I don't get what you're saying?

If I think I get what you mean then yes, the great thing about politics is once you learn the rough outline of something, you can simply tailor your answer to suit any variation of the question and answer anything.
Sorry I don't get what you're saying?

If I think I get what you mean then yes, the great thing about politics is once you learn the rough outline of something, you can simply tailor your answer to suit any variation of the question and answer anything.

Ah, so if the question was about congress. I could write an essay at home, memorise it and come exam day rewrite it but add a sentence at the end of each point relating it back to the question?
Ah, so if the question was about congress. I could write an essay at home, memorise it and come exam day rewrite it but add a sentence at the end of each point relating it back to the question?

Yeah, that is exactly it :smile: Plus throw in a few relevant examples, but you are enthusiastic and if you even half keep up with the political news, you will just think of them naturally.

Easy A grade if you're looking for one :smile:
Yeah, that is exactly it :smile: Plus throw in a few relevant examples, but you are enthusiastic and if you even half keep up with the political news, you will just think of them naturally.

Easy A grade if you're looking for one :smile:

Thanks so much! Taking politics for sure now - was worried it looked too hard. Who do you think will win the US election or has Obama got another term left in him?
I can only speak for English Lit as it's the only in that list that I do. I love it. I absolutely love it. It's my favourite subject because there's so much analysis! My lessons literally are a 60min conversation between my teacher and I over the book whilst the entire class listens (some occasionally join in at various points). My exam board is OCR and it's not too bad. If you enjoy analysing things like text and characters of books then you'll enjoy it.

I shall give this subject a sincere 12/10. Though, tbf I haven't got my AS results yet. :tongue:
Thanks so much! Taking politics for sure now - was worried it looked too hard. Who do you think will win the US election or has Obama got another term left in him?

Not at all, having any interest helps massively :smile:. And well put it this way, Obama shouldn't lose any sleep. Mitt Romney is a walking joke. Yourself haha?

Quick Reply

Latest