The Student Room Group

A final Goodbye to God.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I like this poem a lot - I can identify as I was also raised Christian. Do you write other poetry? Usually I put mine on DeviantArt.

P.S. Congrats on shedding your faith.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by HayleyQuinn
i think she's not believing in it because she realised it's not something that makes her life enjoyable. Religion is for some people, but not for others, and i think her poem is a lovely description of the way she has felt through religion, if i'm honest, it sums up a lot of reasons for why i'm not religious, well that and science, but let's not get into that xD

But the whole point about religion is acknowledging that life isn't meant to be enjoyable. That our short, bitter and relatively meaningless lives on this Earth is meant to be utilised for something that won't be lost to us after our ever approaching and inevitable deaths.
Reply 22
Original post by miser
I like this poem a lot - I can identify as I was also raised Christian. Do you write other poetry? Usually I put mine on DeviantArt.

P.S. Congrats on shedding your faith.

Thank you very much! Yeah, I've got a whole load of poetry posted on TSR - if you want to take a look that'd be lovely :smile: I've not heard of DeviantArt - would you recommend it?

Original post by Spaz Man
But the whole point about religion is acknowledging that life isn't meant to be enjoyable. That our short, bitter and relatively meaningless lives on this Earth is meant to be utilised for something that won't be lost to us after our ever approaching and inevitable deaths.

There is a big difference between not enjoying life and being totally miserable in it. I also wouldn't agree with your statement; yes, we may be simply waiting for Heaven, but I don't think I was ever taught that God wanted us to not enjoy life.
Reply 23
Original post by sammy-lou
Thank you very much! Yeah, I've got a whole load of poetry posted on TSR - if you want to take a look that'd be lovely :smile: I've not heard of DeviantArt - would you recommend it?

There is a big difference between not enjoying life and being totally miserable in it. I also wouldn't agree with your statement; yes, we may be simply waiting for Heaven, but I don't think I was ever taught that God wanted us to not enjoy life.

We enjoy it to a certain extent but with clear moral and spiritual limits in order to keep us focussed on our real and truly meaningful destiantion.

The whole point about religion is acknowledging the life isn't mean to be enjoyable? What are you, a Puritan?

Life is meant to be, and can, be enjoyable, the fact that you know that your life is your only life and that there's no afterlife is only more reason to make it enjoyable.
I agree, but with all due respect, I learnt that from religion.

This was a pretty awesome response. God folks just got told. :biggrin:
Reply 26
We enjoy it to a certain extent but with clear moral and spiritual limits in order to keep us focussed on our real and truly meaningful destiantion.

I respect that, and I'm really glad that you can find that contentment in religion that I never could. But I've got to be honest, it's so upsetting to hear you talk about life as something that can only be enjoyed to a certain extent, within limits.

Why are we not supposed to enjoy life... we get one, and it's short, so why spend our time being miserable. Bad things happen, and maybe we don't have some 'purpose' other than to wander around this tiny insignificant planet trying to make some sort of lives for ourselves, but if we spend those lives constantly deciding to be miserable and being aware of our own meaninglessness then we're just destined to never be happy in the one life we get.

The point of religion of course, is to be miserable in this life, and suffer and toil in order to get into the next life in which we will be eternally happy... but the fact is, many people reject this because there is no evidence to suggest the after life even exists, and basically... no one, not one person on earth, knows what happens after you die, people hypothesise and predict, but no one knows for sure.

Some people choose to believe in an afterlife, and others decide they'd rather be happy in the life they know for sure is real.

What everyone believes in is up to them, and for no one else to interfere with. If you are religious, that is entirely up to you, and it's not my place to say you are wrong, i can state my opinion and my reasons for not being religious, but that's it, just as equally you cannot tell this woman she is incorrect or bad for choose to leave her religious lifestyle behind.

I personally don't believe spending this life being miserable for insurance for an afterlife we've no proof of, is something i want to do, and i am entitled to believe that, as much as you are entitled to believe that we are supposed to utilise this life for the 'something' you stated (i wasn't entirely sure what you meant by it, but i assumed you meant an afterlife of sorts, sorry if that's not waht you meant, it's a little late, so i'm a bit slower than usual xD)
Reply 28
Original post by Chumbaniya
This was a pretty awesome response. God folks just got told. :biggrin:

Everything was getting a little too heated, some humour was needed!
Original post by Politricks
The whole point about religion is acknowledging the life isn't mean to be enjoyable? What are you, a Puritan?

Life is meant to be, and can, be enjoyable, the fact that you know that your life is your only life and that there's no afterlife is only more reason to make it enjoyable.

i wholeheartedly agree

however i regret getting into a religious debate, because you always come across one person who refuses to believe other people can have their own views... i've not met that person yet, but i'm terrified it's going to happen any minute now xD
Reply 30
I respect that, and I'm really glad that you can find that contentment in religion that I never could. But I've got to be honest, it's so upsetting to hear you talk about life as something that can only be enjoyed to a certain extent, within limits.

It's not really upsetting, just a matter of perspective. True enjoyment is taking solace in your future and knowing that you have that structure and gude in your life. Temporary enjoyment to excess not only means nothing when you pass away but also in many cases damages your body and your mind.
Reply 31
Why are we not supposed to enjoy life... we get one, and it's short, so why spend our time being miserable. Bad things happen, and maybe we don't have some 'purpose' other than to wander around this tiny insignificant planet trying to make some sort of lives for ourselves, but if we spend those lives constantly deciding to be miserable and being aware of our own meaninglessness then we're just destined to never be happy in the one life we get.

The point of religion of course, is to be miserable in this life, and suffer and toil in order to get into the next life in which we will be eternally happy... but the fact is, many people reject this because there is no evidence to suggest the after life even exists, and basically... no one, not one person on earth, knows what happens after you die, people hypothesise and predict, but no one knows for sure.

Some people choose to believe in an afterlife, and others decide they'd rather be happy in the life they know for sure is real.

What everyone believes in is up to them, and for no one else to interfere with. If you are religious, that is entirely up to you, and it's not my place to say you are wrong, i can state my opinion and my reasons for not being religious, but that's it, just as equally you cannot tell this woman she is incorrect or bad for choose to leave her religious lifestyle behind.

I personally don't believe spending this life being miserable for insurance for an afterlife we've no proof of, is something i want to do, and i am entitled to believe that, as much as you are entitled to believe that we are supposed to utilise this life for the 'something' you stated (i wasn't entirely sure what you meant by it, but i assumed you meant an afterlife of sorts, sorry if that's not waht you meant, it's a little late, so i'm a bit slower than usual xD)

You act as though religious people are miserable. Quite the opposite in my personal experience. People of true faith are often the happiest because they are not attached to things and can find solace within themselves. I never said tshe was incorrect, I'm just stating my opinion and having a conversation.

We have such a short life, do you honestly believe that it's all there is?
Reply 32
It's not really upsetting, just a matter of perspective. True enjoyment is taking solace in your future and knowing that you have that structure and gude in your life. Temporary enjoyment to excess not only means nothing when you pass away but also in many cases damages your body and your mind.

Enjoying life doesn't mean damaging your body and mind in 'many cases'...non-believers aren't all raging indulgent alcoholics :laugh:

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that religion has to consume your whole life. Following the rules by the Book isn't ever a good thing, because where is your autonomy? When do you get the chance to think for yourself and be spontaneous?
i wholeheartedly agree

however i regret getting into a religious debate, because you always come across one person who refuses to believe other people can have their own views... i've not met that person yet, but i'm terrified it's going to happen any minute now xD

Of course people can have their own views, if there's something about their views which I'm not particularly fond of, then I'm going to comment on it.

Religious people shouldn't expect their religion to be exempt from any criticism, especially if their religion states that people who aren't aware of the 'true god' deserve to go to hell. Criticism of religion isn't too different from criticising a political idea, and therefore shouldn't be treated any differently.
Reply 34
Enjoying life doesn't mean damaging your body and mind in 'many cases'...non-believers aren't all raging indulgent alcoholics :laugh:

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that religion has to consume your whole life. Following the rules by the Book isn't ever a good thing, because where is your autonomy? When do you get the chance to think for yourself and be spontaneous?

It doesn't "consume" your life but rather gives it direction and that is a wonderful thing. It encourages us to think for ourselves all the time. It's a bit rich to say that religion prevents thoughtful thinking. The stuanchly Catholic Italian peninsular led to the Renaissance and the Islamic Middle East created a golden age of learning.
You act as though religious people are miserable. Quite the opposite in my personal experience. People of true faith are often the happiest because they are not attached to things and can find solace within themselves. I never said tshe was incorrect, I'm just stating my opinion and having a conversation.

We have such a short life, do you honestly believe that it's all there is?

I do honestly believe we get one life, and it's short and this is it now, because i've seen no proof otherwise, and so i will make the most of this life because it may be all i get.

I don't think all religious people are miserable, i know many who are religious and lead full and happy lives, but i think that those who spend their lives sticking to rules they hate and living the way a scripture, book or preacher has told them to do, regardless of the fact that it's making them unhappy, will be miserable.

Fair enough, it just sounded as though you were challenging her decision to say goodbye to her religious ways, as though it were a negative thing for her to make that choice.
Reply 36
It doesn't "consume" your life but rather gives it direction and that is a wonderful thing. It encourages us to think for ourselves all the time. It's a bit rich to say that religion prevents thoughtful thinking. The stuanchly Catholic Italian peninsular led to the Renaissance and the Islamic Middle East created a golden age of learning.

OK, I accept your point about the Renaissance etc. Creatively you make a good point. I just meant more about preventing freedom to think and act, rather than just to think. Sorry - should have made that clearer.

Anyway, as you said earlier it's all down to the individual really.
Reply 37
I do honestly believe we get one life, and it's short and this is it now, because i've seen no proof otherwise, and so i will make the most of this life because it may be all i get.

I don't think all religious people are miserable, i know many who are religious and lead full and happy lives, but i think that those who spend their lives sticking to rules they hate and living the way a scripture, book or preacher has told them to do, regardless of the fact that it's making them unhappy, will be miserable.

Fair enough, it just sounded as though you were challenging her decision to say goodbye to her religious ways, as though it were a negative thing for her to make that choice.

Don't you feel that that is a very reckless attitude to take though due to the uncertainty of the shortness of our one life? I find it very hard to believe why anyone should take such a possibly risky decision based upon their own lack of knowing what may or may not come.
Reply 38
So you're not going to believe in God just because you're not comfortable with it?

This. How could you feel you're trapped when you say that you have chosen to do good anyway?

I just feel so disgusted that you have written that...

You know TSR is full of atheists and you want some reps, hence your thread. I got it :wink:
Reply 39
OK, I accept your point about the Renaissance etc. Creatively you make a good point. I just meant more about preventing freedom to think and act, rather than just to think. Sorry - should have made that clearer.

Anyway, as you said earlier it's all down to the individual really.

Religious people have put their trust in the fact that those acts that we cannot do are harmful to us either in the short or long-term and/or spiritually and/or morally. I certainly don't feel as though I'm missing out on some great experience which I will regret rather that those acts will not benefit me and therefore are needless.

Quick Reply

Latest