The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by scottkincaid
I don't mean to offend anybody with ADHD or anybody that knows somebody with ADHD. I have a friend that has it too.

I honestly think that it is a lot of nonsense. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Somebody with ADHD can spit in a teachers face and get away with it and called 'brave' and receive a new gaming console or something. If somebody like you or me did it we'd probably be kicked out of education personally.

I just think that it's an awful reason for parents to justify why their child/children are misbehaving.

I would say that it's a little bit too far to call it a disability.

What are your thoughts on this?

It's not really a disability, it's more a condition. I have ADD, which is similar to ADHD, and means that I don't misbehave considerably more than anyone else in my class, but I do lose concentration easily, and will occasionally try to distract others from their work. I don't do this intentionally, I don't want to fail, nor do I want them to fail, but it's a symptom of my condition.

Those with ADHD can be very hyper, and are more likely to misbehave more severely, but it's not because they're bad children, it's because their condition isn't being monitored or controlled well. The teacher would struggle to punish a child with this condition, when it's not really the child's fault, it's the bad management of the condition causing it-for whom the child could well me blamed for not taking the necessary medication, but it could also me the parents' fault, doctor's, friends'-I don't know, just an idea.

You have offended me, just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it nonsense.

Those are my thoughts.
Original post by Cattty
really, so if you were having to justify and defend your disability to this forum of ignorant people what would you say?

im not denying your problem is real, but you and everyone on this forum are denying mine is.

im just shocked that in this day and age, people still see it as an excuse for poor parenting or that children with ADHD should be expected to behave like everyone else

There is a huge difference between being naughty and having issues which include sight impairment, hyper (and hypo) sensitivity, hyperfocus, etc.

I just don't understand why or how being naughty is a disability.
Reply 202
Original post by OU Student
There is a huge difference between being naughty and having issues which include sight impairment, hyper (and hypo) sensitivity, hyperfocus, etc.

I just don't understand why or how being naughty is a disability.

it is not and children/adults with ADHD are not always naughty. ADHD is a medical condition, if you have to call it a disability to make it more real to you then fine.
there is a difference between children who are just naughty and children who have ADHD.

you have still not answered my question- what would you say if you were having to defend your condition to this forum of ignorant people?
Original post by QTpie118
It's not really a disability, it's more a condition. I have ADD, which is similar to ADHD, and means that I don't misbehave considerably more than anyone else in my class, but I do lose concentration easily, and will occasionally try to distract others from their work. I don't do this intentionally, I don't want to fail, nor do I want them to fail, but it's a symptom of my condition.

Those with ADHD can be very hyper, and are more likely to misbehave more severely, but it's not because they're bad children, it's because their condition isn't being monitored or controlled well. The teacher would struggle to punish a child with this condition, when it's not really the child's fault, it's the bad management of the condition causing it-for whom the child could well me blamed for not taking the necessary medication, but it could also me the parents' fault, doctor's, friends'-I don't know, just an idea.

You have offended me, just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it nonsense.

Those are my thoughts.

So don't.

This is why ADD and ADHD will always be considered a fake condition as all you need to do is simply learn some self control.
Very few people are able to focus and consecrated for long periods from birth, so people learn to through self control and self discipline.
And it is amazing how in the past people like yourself always managed to "grow out of it" when you would get hit for acting in such a way.
Reply 204
Original post by QTpie118

Those are my thoughts.

glad theres someone on here who knows what they are talking about
Reply 205
Not agreeing / disagreeing...

But there are a lot of people who say "middle-class way of explaining badly behaved kids".

Same for dyslexia - "middle-class way of explaining slow kids".

I don't really know enough to comment personally though. But a heated debate.
Reply 206
Original post by Jimbo1234
So don't.

This is why ADD and ADHD will always be considered a fake condition as all you need to do is simply learn some self control.
Very few people are able to focus and consecrated for long periods from birth, so people learn to through self control and self discipline.
And it is amazing how in the past people like yourself always managed to "grow out of it" when you would get hit for acting in such a way.

wow some of you people are ignorant. self control is part of the condition.

yeh people learn to manage symptoms better when they get older but they still have the condition.

the reason people with ADD/ADHD will always be stigmatised is because of uneducated ignorant people like you
The ignorance in this thread is very sad. ADHD is a real disorder, caused by a biological chemical imbalance in the brain. This has been identified by scientists, and it is why the medication prescribed for ADHD is successful in so many cases. It is also the most highly genetic psychiatric disorder of any so far reported, emphasising the huge role that genetics/biology play in the disorder, and emphasising the largely insignificant role of environmental factors.

The stigma attached to ADHD, particularly to parents who are often the ones who would seek a diagnosis, can have catastrophic consequences. Parents who should refer their children choose not to because they don't want to be labelled as bad parents. The consequence of this is that ADHD is vastly underdiagnosed and undertreated in the UK. Without the right medication and treatment these children are far more likely to experience poor literacy, end up in prison, take drugs, abuse alcohol, crash their cars, be involve in fatal accidents and commit suicide.

The outdated, and frankly incorrect (as proved by many, many, reputable studies - the latest of which was published in The Lancet) views of those people in this thread claiming ADHD doesn't exist, could be said to have blood on their hands...
My nephew has ADHD and he is an absolute nightmare. He isn't 'naughty', he is down right psycho but his mum always excuses his behaviour by saying "He wouldn't do it if he was normal".
I agree that his behaviour is somewhat different to others but you're taking the mick if you think that it's okay to do dangerous things just because you have ADHD.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cattty
wow some of you people are ignorant. self control is part of the condition.

yeh people learn to manage symptoms better when they get older but they still have the condition.

the reason people with ADD/ADHD will always be stigmatised is because of uneducated ignorant people like you

Or develop and learn some self control.
As I said, everyone has to do it, but it could be argued that people with ADHD use the label as an excuse not to and claim "oh, no point trying because I can't".....for which there is actually no proof for ADHD not being curable :redface:

Original post by Cattty
it is not and children/adults with ADHD are not always naughty. ADHD is a medical condition, if you have to call it a disability to make it more real to you then fine.
there is a difference between children who are just naughty and children who have ADHD.

you have still not answered my question- what would you say if you were having to defend your condition to this forum of ignorant people?

Find proof that it actually exists :rofl:
Sorry, but unlike actual conditions there is no major physical difference in the brain between someone with or without ADHD. The only research shows minor chemical changes which can be changed through discipline, and it amazing how serious punishments can cure child of ADHD :rolleyes:

Original post by RedLizzie
The ignorance in this thread is very sad. ADHD is a real disorder, caused by a biological chemical imbalance in the brain. This has been identified by scientists, and it is why the medication prescribed for ADHD is successful in so many cases. It is also the most highly genetic psychiatric disorder of any so far reported, emphasising the huge role that genetics/biology play in the disorder, and emphasising the largely insignificant role of environmental factors.

The stigma attached to ADHD, particularly to parents who are often the ones who would seek a diagnosis, can have catastrophic consequences. Parents who should refer their children choose not to because they don't want to be labelled as bad parents. The consequence of this is that ADHD is vastly underdiagnosed and undertreated in the UK. Without the right medication and treatment these children are far more likely to experience poor literacy, end up in prison, take drugs, abuse alcohol, crash their cars, be involve in fatal accidents and commit suicide.

The outdated, and frankly incorrect (as proved by many, many, reputable studies - the latest of which was published in The Lancet) views of those people in this thread claiming ADHD doesn't exist, could be said to have blood on their hands...

Have proof?
Thought not.
Either link papers or don't bother as I have read the papers and ADHD is no more radical than mild depression which we all know can be treated and cured.
(edited 11 years ago)

Sorry, but unlike actual conditions there is no major physical difference in the brain between someone with or without ADHD. The only research shows minor chemical changes which can be changed through discipline, and it amazing how serious punishments can cure child of ADHD :rolleyes:

Interestingly, if you Google "Does ADHD exist?" you get teachers and some medical professionals saying it doesn't exist.
Interestingly, if you Google "Does ADHD exist?" you get teachers and some medical professionals saying it doesn't exist.

Yes, and this is why it is still a topic which is debated as the medical world is split in two about it. Personally I know of doctors, psychologists, and psychiatrist who also say that it does not exist and that the evidence is questionable at best.
I get bored of things easily, and want to try different things each week. I have an attention span of about 10 minutes, i get short tempered easily, and can get hyper easily, i was diagnosed at Primary with dyslexia, but Secondary school begs to differ. College said i wasn't dyslexic either.

I do wonder sometimes. But i do not want to be tagged with this s***. I would rather learn to control myself.
Reply 213
Or develop and learn some self control.
As I said, everyone has to do it, but it could be argued that people with ADHD use the label as an excuse not to and claim "oh, no point trying because I can't".....for which there is actually no proof for ADHD not being curable :redface:

Have proof?
Thought not.
Either link papers or don't bother as I have read the papers and ADHD is no more radical than mild depression which we all know can be treated and cured.

so what your 'evidence' is what you have read in some paper? :rolleyes:

really, serious punishments. wow is that your solution to all childhood disorders- beat them? and wheres this evidence that serious punishments can 'cure' a child of ADHD. why dont you go back to the 1950s, and maybe someone then may listen to what you are saying

your argument is complete bull ****. ADHD is caused by a lack of dopamine in the brain and just cos youve read in some crap paper that it doesnt exist doesnt make you right.

and btw i have ADHD and i worked my arse off so i could go to uni and become a teacher, people dont use it as an excuse to do nothing- ADHD does not affect intelligence so people with ADHD are just as capable of doing things as others. yes you can work to try and have some self control, but you will never have it like other people do and children certainly cant.

seriously your a complete joke- making out your some expert when you are just talking ****.
Reply 214

or rather people claiming to be professionals saying it doesnt exist :rolleyes:
Original post by Cattty
or rather people claiming to be professionals saying it doesnt exist :rolleyes:

Where's the evidence it does exist? There's a blog by a teacher who claims it doesn't exist.

I know at least one professional who claims it doesn't exist.
Original post by Cattty
so what your 'evidence' is what you have read in some paper? :rolleyes:

really, serious punishments. wow is that your solution to all childhood disorders- beat them? and wheres this evidence that serious punishments can 'cure' a child of ADHD. why dont you go back to the 1950s, and maybe someone then may listen to what you are saying

your argument is complete bull ****. ADHD is caused by a lack of dopamine in the brain and just cos youve read in some crap paper that it doesnt exist doesnt make you right.

and btw i have ADHD and i worked my arse off so i could go to uni and become a teacher, people dont use it as an excuse to do nothing- ADHD does not affect intelligence so people with ADHD are just as capable of doing things as others. yes you can work to try and have some self control, but you will never have it like other people do and children certainly cant.

seriously your a complete joke- making out your some expert when you are just talking ****.

:giggle:
Some paper? I don't mean a newspaper, but a paper that is from a journal :rofl:
Source 1 is utterly inconclusive about ADHD having a physical manifestation, and source 2 does confirm that something is different, but it does not pin down why, states that it greatly varies thus could be simply down to personal differences rather than a disorder.
Now what papers have you read on it? None? I thought as much

And yes, punishing children works. I have seen this miracle take place before my very own eyes :rolleyes: All children or people with adhd need is to learn self control, and seeing that normal measures don't work, just make it more extreme. As I said before, I have seen this work and children with "adhd" all of a sudden behave like the model pupil for an entire week.

Actually adhd is not caused by that and no paper suggests so. Whoever told you that or wherever you read that was simply wrong.

Almost everyone will at some point struggle with self control and focus, so why do people with ADHD make themselves out to be unique? :confused:

Anyway, I would love to see your evidence.
Reply 217
Original post by Cattty
really, so if you were having to justify and defend your disability to this forum of ignorant people what would you say?

im not denying your problem is real, but you and everyone on this forum are denying mine is.

im just shocked that in this day and age, people still see it as an excuse for poor parenting or that children with ADHD should be expected to behave like everyone else

It makes perfect sense. Many parents see that other kids are playing up and getting away with different levels of misbehaviour, yet their child who has no "mental health" issues is not getting let off with anything, no matter how minor and on occasion is being made an example of.

There is a clearly a difference being made and it appears to many that those with so-called ADHD get better treatment than those without. It is only expected there will be complaints about that.

Also not everyone in this thread has denied the existence of ADHD, you obviously have not yet read all the posts on it.

And we established many many pages back that it is definitely not a disability.
Reply 218
:giggle:
Some paper? I don't mean a newspaper, but a paper that is from a journal :rofl:
Source 1 is utterly inconclusive about ADHD having a physical manifestation, and source 2 does confirm that something is different, but it does not pin down why, states that it greatly varies thus could be simply down to personal differences rather than a disorder.
Now what papers have you read on it? None? I thought as much

And yes, punishing children works. I have seen this miracle take place before my very own eyes :rolleyes: All children or people with adhd need is to learn self control, and seeing that normal measures don't work, just make it more extreme. As I said before, I have seen this work and children with "adhd" all of a sudden behave like the model pupil for an entire week.

Actually adhd is not caused by that and no paper suggests so. Whoever told you that or wherever you read that was simply wrong.

Almost everyone will at some point struggle with self control and focus, so why do people with ADHD make themselves out to be unique? :confused:

Anyway, I would love to see your evidence.

oh really so youve seen people beating children? is that what you get off to?
yawn, your 'evidence' really bores me.

i did about ADHD for my dissertation so i did extensive research on it. clearly more than you have done (if any- your obviously talking ****)
plus i can offer myself up as research. i come from a good family- mums a teacher, dads a graphic designer (professional educated people). i went to school and grew up in a middle class suburban area.
i had a great, secure and happy childhood. so there are no external factors to why i have ADHD, just genetic medical ones. btw i have been told all this by psychologists and paediatricians, etc. far more educated people than you are claiming to be.
my dad clearly has ADHD and so did my grandma and grandad and my cousin- a genetic link? i think so.

i have a far better personal insight into ADHD than any muppet who wrote the 'papers' that youve read. do you really think i would choose to miss out on important points in lecutres or not be able to listen to all of friends conversations? what about having some teaching assistant sat next to me when i was at high school, like i needed 'supervising', do you really think i would have spared myself the embarrassment of that if i could?

fyi harsh punishment does not work. confronting a child with ADHD is the wost possible thing you can do. they either kick off or become totally unco-operative. evidence- children i have worked with. oh n also myself- i remember being screamed at by a teacher in yr1 and guess what? instead of being a model pupil, i screamed back- big surprise.

claiming you have done reseach here makes me laugh. you clearly havent done any. you are talking to someone who has not only done extensive research on the subject but also has a personal insight into it (which these people who wrote those 'papers' you said youve read clearly havent)
Reply 219
Original post by ufo2012
It makes perfect sense. Many parents see that other kids are playing up and getting away with different levels of misbehaviour, yet their child who has no "mental health" issues is not getting let off with anything, no matter how minor and on occasion is being made an example of.

There is a clearly a difference being made and it appears to many that those with so-called ADHD get better treatment than those without. It is only expected there will be complaints about that.

Also not everyone in this thread has denied the existence of ADHD, you obviously have not yet read all the posts on it.

And we established many many pages back that it is definitely not a disability.

right, so im gona read 12 pages of posts? i do have a life. its not a disability, but clearly for some of you lot it only seems real if i call it that.
if your gona call it mental health are you saying that schizophrinia isnt real? or depression? or OCD? are all these people just out for attention? are all these highly educated doctors wrong? and ignorant morons like yourself are right :colone:

ADHD is a condition which affects children and adults. these people do not always have behaviour problems- it is a negative steriotype that they do.

but they do get treated differently because they have the condition (wow!!!) if you have a kid in class who has autism, they would be treated differently, a child with dyslexia would be treated differently, a child with cerebral palsy would be treated differently. so guess what? a child with ADHD would be treated differently (shocking!!!)

Latest

Trending

Trending