The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by dizzy09

Women are more likely to be raped by someone they know. So if they rely on a man to see them home safely, they're statistically at a greater risk (I believe it's 10-15% of rapes carried out by strangers, as opposed to 85-90% carried out by someone the survivor already knew)

Seriously? You think it's more dangerous to walk home with a male friend than alone? Remind me if I ever meet you to not offer to walk you home in case you think I'm intending to rape you.
Reply 261
Original post by Hopple
Seriously? You think it's more dangerous to walk home with a male friend than alone? Remind me if I ever meet you to not offer to walk you home in case you think I'm intending to rape you.

Again, I'm going by stats. Only 10 - 15% of rapes are committed by a stranger. I'm not going on the "all men are rapists" thing. I'm pointing out that expecting women to rely on men to walk them home is misogynistic, and open to abuse by the very men women are expecting, thanks to various rape myths, to protect them. I mean, whether a woman wants you to walk them home is entirely down to her. It's an old myth that strangers are more dangerous than acquaintances. The reality is a depressing one.
Reply 262
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Well I dont think thats agreeing with me at all as I dont think ANY of it was her fault.

You think 1% of the blame should be given to her just because she couldnt afford her 20p bus fayre? Dont be so ridiculous.

There is only one person to blame here and thats the sick rapist. 100%

I didn't say you. I was talking about the person you quoted...

And it's not the 20p it's the lack of forethought. You shouldn't assume you can get things because you cannot pay for them.
Maybe that driver had given away cheap fares before and was on his last warning or something like that..?
Reply 263
Original post by dizzy09
Again, I'm going by stats. Only 10 - 15% of rapes are committed by a stranger. I'm not going on the "all men are rapists" thing. I'm pointing out that expecting women to rely on men to walk them home is misogynistic, and open to abuse by the very men women are expecting, thanks to various rape myths, to protect them. I mean, whether a woman wants you to walk them home is entirely down to her. It's an old myth that strangers are more dangerous than acquaintances. The reality is a depressing one.

What is the breakdown in your stats for "friends"? "The creepy guy who leers at you in the pub every time you go" is someone you know, but I wouldn't be surprised if he raped someone he offered to walk home.
Reply 264
Bus driver 'did not follow training' over rape case

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-18373422
Original post by Ice Constricter
Obviously, but if you read the article properly you'd understand where that view comes from. I can't be bothered to write it all again.

Idiots think it's the drivers' or passengers' fault that they didn't have prophetic powers to know she was going to be raped. This is good because it sells more copies of the Daily Mail.

I did in fact get it.
Original post by Craig_D
Not at all, and I didn't say that simply because I felt disagreeing with you on a mere whim, it's nothing personal, I have particularly strong feelings about this issue. The girl lives in Mansfield and was stuck in Nottingham, that is absolutely not a distance that you can walk; the idea of anyone being stranded anywhere helpless in the middle of the night is not something I can accept. Whether she was stupid for ending up in that position in the first place (probably yes), as a lot of people have said, isn't the the point.

Anyone is vulnerable on the streets at night, maybe that isn't the case wherever you are in Scotland but it is in Nottingham. Just a couple of brief examples, both male; a friend of mine from college was walking home in Highbury Vale from a night out at around 1am when 2 lads attacked him with pieces of wood, without any reason at all - completely random I know, but it happened, and he's a big guy. The other example was the father of a female friend of mine was near his home in Cotgrave when 10 lads (yes, 10, which I referenced earlier) stopped him in the street, attacked him and left him with a couple of broken ribs. I've suffered two attempted muggings myself, though neither time did they get anything. I'm not going to speak to you as abruptly as you did to me, but I think it's slightly naive to think that only petite girls are vulnerable at 3am in the rough edge of a city centre. I'm sure it's not a position that you'd wish to find yourself in, I have no problem at all admitting that I wouldn't.

My opinion is that a scheme should be set up where between the hours of 12 at night and 6 in the morning buses delay payment for anyone that doesn't have the full fare by adding it to a tab; I appreciate that this would be difficult to regulate and whether this would involve them carrying some kind of ID card, a fingerprint scanner or the bus simply offering to take you to the station where you can wait out the night I don't know, but it would be entirely worth it; right here before you is a girl who wouldn't have had her life potentially ruined due to it.

Let's face it, neither of the beatings your acquaintances received will be as psychologically damaging as a rape. Of course I wouldn't be comfortable in a position similar to which she was, but as a male I wouldn't have the fear of sexual assault.

Your scheme is extraneous. All that is needed is for bus drivers not to be morons. Leaving a girl stranded at 3am is a moronic thing to do. I don't care much for solutions or how similarly males may suffer after being rejected from a bus. She was raped.
Although its not the drivers fault not the passengers for what happened i can imagine some of them will be feeling some extreme guilt. In short they didn't have the benefit of hindsight had they then of course someone will have forked out 20p. If i see someone come on the bus latish and they are missing a quid or so i usually offer to pay the rest because i feel bad if they miss the bus and sit in the cold and what not plus its only a small amount. Sick human being that guy and i hope he rots in prison.
Original post by Happydude
Let's face it, neither of the beatings your acquaintances received will be as psychologically damaging as a rape. Of course I wouldn't be comfortable in a position similar to which she was, but as a male I wouldn't have the fear of sexual assault.

Your scheme is extraneous. All that is needed is for bus drivers not to be morons. Leaving a girl stranded at 3am is a moronic thing to do. I don't care much for solutions or how similarly males may suffer after being rejected from a bus. She was raped.

No, for such a scheme to work, it has to actually be consistent and fair.

Leaving anyone stranded at 3am at night is surely moronic? I find your post bizarre to be honest; who are you to decide what is and what isn't a psychologically damaging crime?

EDIT: And, as I've said to countless other people, if you're calling the bus driver moronic, then you'll surely agree that women who choose to walk alone at night are also being morons? Which I think is a bit of an odd viewpoint tbh; people should be able to do what they want. It's only the rapist at fault.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by Hopple
What is the breakdown in your stats for "friends"? "The creepy guy who leers at you in the pub every time you go" is someone you know, but I wouldn't be surprised if he raped someone he offered to walk home.

I'm not sure on the breakdown for friends, but if I remember correctly, current or previous partners is at around 60%.

But anyway, my point is, even having a friend walk you home isn't a failsafe option, and telling women what to do to protect themselves from rape leads to rape myths, victim blaming, and survivors left feeling unable to report rape, because we've spent too long focusing on what the survivor should do to prevent rape, and not enough time looking at what men and society should do to prevent rape.
Reply 270
I gotta say, that guy is totally ******* up
Reply 271
Original post by dizzy09
I'm not sure on the breakdown for friends, but if I remember correctly, current or previous partners is at around 60%.

But anyway, my point is, even having a friend walk you home isn't a failsafe option, and telling women what to do to protect themselves from rape leads to rape myths, victim blaming, and survivors left feeling unable to report rape, because we've spent too long focusing on what the survivor should do to prevent rape, and not enough time looking at what men and society should do to prevent rape.

Are you saying nobody should be given advice on how to avoid being the victims of rape? Of any crime?

And how can a man prevent rape? Ok, you can tell rapists not to rape, but that's not going to work. A non-rapist can offer to be an extra person walking a woman home (also less likely to get attacked in general if there's more of you), but you're saying women should refuse this because he's more likely to rape her than be of any protection. So tell me, how can a man prevent rape?
Reply 272
Original post by Hopple
Are you saying nobody should be given advice on how to avoid being the victims of rape? Of any crime?

And how can a man prevent rape? Ok, you can tell rapists not to rape, but that's not going to work. A non-rapist can offer to be an extra person walking a woman home (also less likely to get attacked in general if there's more of you), but you're saying women should refuse this because he's more likely to rape her than be of any protection. So tell me, how can a man prevent rape?

There's a number of ways.

OK, this is an American site, but it's got some good tips. What Men Can Do

Rape prevention tips don't work, because they only cover a small number of rapes; what do you suggest to the woman who's raped at home, by the man she thought was her loving partner?

Or the one who had a male friend walk her home, and then he did rape her?

It makes no sense to offer tips to protect yourself against rape. Being raped is passive; raping someone is active. Attack the perpetrators behaviour, not the survivors.
The police need to drop this "im not a taxi service" macho bs and provide a service to stuck people at a cost to be payed later. A high cost, say 5x taxi fare so people only use it when they really need to. Id happily pay a few more pence tax to fund the extra officers required. Our police should learn from the canadians "to protect and serve" not "to think your uniform makes you better than others and have a confrontational attitude".
Original post by dizzy09
There's a number of ways.

OK, this is an American site, but it's got some good tips. What Men Can Do

Rape prevention tips don't work, because they only cover a small number of rapes; what do you suggest to the woman who's raped at home, by the man she thought was her loving partner?

Or the one who had a male friend walk her home, and then he did rape her?

It makes no sense to offer tips to protect yourself against rape. Being raped is passive; raping someone is active. Attack the perpetrators behaviour, not the survivors.

But you've just said men should be instructed on how to prevent other women being raped. Random non-rapist males aren't the perpetrators either. :confused:
my dads a bus driver and if your on your way home and its late you fill out a small form on the bus and you basically have to pay the fee back during the following week!

some drivers are just *****!!!
Original post by fuze-mo25
my dads a bus driver and if your on your way home and its late you fill out a small form on the bus and you basically have to pay the fee back during the following week!

^sort of thing we need :smile:
Reply 277
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But you've just said men should be instructed on how to prevent other women being raped. Random non-rapist males aren't the perpetrators either. :confused:

We need to challenge men's attitudes in general. Most men won't rape, but see the link; men are the only people who have the power to stop rape, as they're the only people who could rape.

If a woman kicks up a fuss about a rape, she gets her view challenged. I've actually noticed the change in attitude if a man speaks up about rape. It's a significant one.

If you notice someone making a rape joke, pull them up about it.

If someone says "Cor, she's asking for it..." or something along those lines, pull them up about it.

There's only so much women can do to challenge rape culture.
Reply 278
Original post by fuze-mo25

I'd rather see this implemented everywhere. No one should be forced to walk home (how did the bus driver know she'd have someone able to pick her up) because they're missing the bus fare.
Reply 279
Whcih bus journey costs £5 :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending