The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by berryripple
I don't think many people would expect such a steep bus fare.

Hmm fair enough.

Glad they nailed the ****er who raped her.
Reply 141
At the end of the day it's just really sad that she had to endure that horrific rape just because she was 20p short, the driver was doing his job and none of the passengers could find it within themselves to give her 20p so she didn't have to walk home at 3am, alone.

That's just the world these days. Hopefully some people will learn from it: girls to not be out, alone in the early hours of the morning, and the general public to sometimes lend a helping hand.
Original post by Craig_D
I'm vaguely familiar with the bus in question and her fare was definitely not £5, so I think the DM have got their wires crossed. The bus has a charge of £4.80 for going all the way from Nottingham to Chesterfield, 25 miles away. In the article it says she lived 20 minutes drive away, so I'm guessing that she may have been getting off at Ravenshead or at a push Mansfield, which would be more like £2-3.50. In the article they show a picture of a bus stop that the bus does not even stop at (and claim it's the one where she was kicked off), so I'm skeptical of their reporting.

Both The Mirror and Sky say she was heading to Mansfield and in the DM article quotes her
I remember being 20p short it might have been a bit more or less than that.

The bus stop outside boots? Fact checking seems to have gone downhill in recent times. It is the DM after all
Original post by ras90
It is her fault aswell as the guy. She should have made sure she had the money and he obviously is mainly to blame. You cant blame the driver or passengers

your display picture says it all really
Original post by Fusion
This is a case of hindsight being a wonderful thing.

Also that doesn't bode well.

p.s. £5 for a bus fare wtf?!!

it was 14 miles!! my fare is £3.60 one way adult ticket for about 5 miles :frown:
i remember when i could get a child weekly ticket for £9.00 in 2003, its now £17.00!
As bas as the crime is (and I hope he gets what he deserves to be honest), I dont blame/condemn the bus driver for what he did.

At the end of the day if you dont have the fare you dont have the fare, and if you dont have the fare then you cant ride the bus. No one could have predicted what would have happened to her, so to the people on the bus and the driver himself this was simply just another person who didnt have the money. Why should we make exceptions over the tiny possibility of something bad happening to the person if they dont have the cash? Would it not be then unfair on everyone else who pays/has the correct fare to begin with?

Que the neg brigade...
The worst thing about this story is that it highlights how even despite the fact we are a supposedly civilised country, it's still completely impossible for a young woman to walk around on her own at night, for fear of getting raped or worse.

We're so used to the idea, we don't even think to question how absurd it is. But it is.

Clearly it's not the bus driver or passenger's fault. The only person to blame is the man who committed the crime. I remember being in London at about 3am with a friend and a bus driver gave us a free lift. There are many kind people in the world, sadly, also many people who do evil things.
Reply 147
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Both The Mirror and Sky say she was heading to Mansfield and in the DM article quotes her

The bus stop outside boots? Fact checking seems to have gone downhill in recent times. It is the DM after all

Ah! Thanks for that; in that case her fare would definitely have actually been about £3.50.

The actual stop was Victoria Centre bus station, which is where the line starts. It's on Mansfield Road, the same road on which she was attacked. That must have been the stop because it's the only one on the line before the Forest Recreation Ground, where it happened.

The stop they've pictured is just 'Victoria Centre', and is on the opposite side of the shopping centre (buses from there only go south and east), I guess that may have led to their mistake. Yes, the Daily Fail keeping to its usual high standards. :tongue:
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
As bas as the crime is (and I hope he gets what he deserves to be honest), I dont blame/condemn the bus driver for what he did.

At the end of the day if you dont have the fare you dont have the fare, and if you dont have the fare then you cant ride the bus. No one could have predicted what would have happened to her, so to the people on the bus and the driver himself this was simply just another person who didnt have the money. Why should we make exceptions over the tiny possibility of something bad happening to the person if they dont have the cash? Would it not be then unfair on everyone else who pays/has the correct fare to begin with?

Que the neg brigade...

I would agree with this usually however it was 3am, it was an extremely cold night, she was alone, young and vulnerable. In a slightly different situation, would it be the same if she had been 15? Or 9? or 75?

I just think that if I was alone in the middle of the night and just short for the bus, I'd like to think someone would help me out and that I'd do the same for someone else.
Reply 149
I don't blame the bus driver at all. If he took pity on everyone (or even just one person) who was 'a few pence short', he'd lose his job.
(edited 11 years ago)
those on the bus were probably scared of being seen as a whiteknight
Original post by plimsolls
I don't blame the bus driver at all. If he took pity on everyone (or even just one person) who was 'a few pence short', he'd lose his job.

Well put it this way.. would you rather have the customer paying the £4.80 for the seat late at night which I assume there wasn't that many people on the bus. Or tell her to get off and lose out on the £4.80.. common sense use your brain. I think it was more about the bus driver being awkward more than anything.
Original post by fuzzybear
those on the bus were probably scared of being seen as a whiteknight

White Knight Syndrome
A personality characteristic found in few males now days. It entitles chivalrous acts and a need to treat women with respect. Males with White Knight Syndrome tend to be able to have just about any one they want. Also Males with White Knight Syndrome are some of the best lovers both in and out of the bedroom but can seldom can keep a relationship because women are scared to lose them as a friend even though they will remain a true friend no matter how bad the break-up was unless the women pushes the male away.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white+knight+syndrome

Bad why? Ive been wishing an attractive woman would fall into water and be unable to swim for this reason since i was 12. :daydreaming:
Reply 153
Original post by Theturnbull9
Well put it this way.. would you rather have the customer paying the £4.80 for the seat late at night which I assume there wasn't that many people on the bus. Or tell her to get off and lose out on the £4.80.. common sense use your brain. I think it was more about the bus driver being awkward more than anything.

The bus driver himself isn't getting any more money from having more people pay fares or part fares. It's like going through a supermarket checkout and begging the cashier to let you have your paracetamol for 2p less because you are short. 'Oh please, i've got a banging headache, i'm going to pass out'. 'no sir'.

Customer goes away empty handed, faints from the pain, cracks their head open on the pavement. Not the cashier's fault is it.
Reply 154
Original post by green.tea

Bad why? Ive been wishing an attractive woman would fall into water and be unable to swim for this reason since i was 12. :daydreaming:

have you?
Original post by plimsolls
have you?

So i could dive in and rescue her in accordance with white knight protocol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by POWCATTY
it was 14 miles!! my fare is £3.60 one way adult ticket for about 5 miles :frown:
i remember when i could get a child weekly ticket for £9.00 in 2003, its now £17.00!

Where does it say 14 miles? It says it was a 20 minute bus journey does it not?

The bus to Brackenhurst/Southwell is about 14 miles from town, that takes more like 40 minutes, so I'd have thought she wasn't travelling so far.

Anyway I do wonder if she actually asked any other passengers if they had 20p on them, it says she watched them go past as she pleaded with the driver, but if they weren't paying attention to the conversation, would they have known she needed 20p?

I am surprised the driver didn't let her on tbh. I've seen people been let on fairly often when they're short by that sort of amount, though I haven't travelling with that company the rival company in the article says their drivers would have let her on, though that could just be for their own publicity.

I doubt the driver would have gotten in trouble if he'd let her on. Unless he'd already let on a few people that night who were short of change. I imagine a drivers area for storing money works like a shop till, it'll be cashed up that night, a 20p discrepancy really is not going to be flagged up as a big deal.
Reply 157

cute.

haha, if I tried that I'd probably end up getting rescued by them tbh. :tongue:
Obviously very tragic and the bastard deserves to be in prison for a long, long time ... but I don't understand the emphasis on the bus fare.

It's not like an automatic assumption of 'walking home in the dark means getting raped' exists; thousands of people walk home in the dark, they don't all end up getting raped. I'd like to think that, if I were that driver, I would have let her on ... but in reality, if my job was potentially at risk if I did so (certainly heard enough tales of red hot pokers in uncomfortable places from Cambridge bus drivers), would I? Perhaps not.

Similarly, there have been many times where I have given people money for bus fare. There's a kid that I paid the entire fare of, not a week goes by when I don't give at least a couple of people something. But there have also been times when I didn't - I've been upstairs, I was listening to music, I just didn't have the change or needed it for something else... If one of those people was later raped whilst walking home, does that mean I'm partially to blame? Of course not.

What surprises me most here is it didn't occur to anyone that she could get a damn sight closer to home with £4.80, then just walk the much shorter distance. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending