The Student Room Group

Why are "A" grades considered mediocre?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soempty
Depends on which unis and course you are looking at. Oxbridge, medicine and some economics courses will look at it like you failed to put more effort, however others will see it as a good grade.

I do wish people would stop saying this. Oxbridge for the most part care far less about GCSEs than do, e.g., the top London uni's; they don't really need to care about GCSEs, since they have access to lots of information to which other uni's for the most part don't, such as admissions tests and interviews.

Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
A grade average? People who think that are pompous bafoons.

Buffoons*. And the word was "mediocre", not "average". Those words are quite different.
Original post by Benniboi1

Am I the only one who doesn't like the grade system? I don't think it's really representatitve, I'd rather just have percentages or something, like if you get 90% of the UMS then your score would be 90.

I think I agree with this, just giving out numbers would be much better. Although I am wary of the fact that small differences in UMS usually indicate no difference at all between the candidates' abilities.
Reply 62
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I do wish people would stop saying this. Oxbridge for the most part care far less about GCSEs than do, e.g., the top London uni's; they don't really need to care about GCSEs, since they have access to lots of information to which other uni's for the most part don't, such as admissions tests and interviews.

Buffoons*. And the word was "mediocre", not "average". Those words are quite different.

I agree with that, as i written as grades matter more, but person with same grades at as will be at advantage if he had better gcses (implying we are coming from similar schools)
More people are gettng the "A" grade hence why they brought about the A* grade. So if more people are getting A's then it is seen as the country's average. it's still a very respectable grade to achieve.
Reply 64
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Lmaaooo!! You feel the word ,you see it on a piece of paper and there's nothing to it :L

Thank you sensei. I must now go and train myself in the art of 'feeling the word'...
Original post by lebron_23
Thank you sensei. I must now go and train myself in the art of 'feeling the word'...

No problem young one, your next grade to feel is C... :smile:
Personally I think grade boundaries for A* are too low (for a lot of subjects anyway). A* should be for the really exceptional students. Now that everyone seems to be getting A* grades it is becoming expected of people to aspire to this and the A grade is losing its value when it shouldn't be.
Reply 67
No problem young one, your next grade to feel is C... :smile:

I hear and obey master..

The grade 'C' - It is like a SEA of unforgiving torture, telling you to SEE that you are useless at your studies

SEE what i did there..?
Original post by thescientist17
Personally I think grade boundaries for A* are too low (for a lot of subjects anyway). A* should be for the really exceptional students. Now that everyone seems to be getting A* grades it is becoming expected of people to aspire to this and the A grade is losing its value when it shouldn't be.

I agree!
I hear and obey master..

The grade 'C' - It is like a SEA of unforgiving torture, telling you to SEE that you are useless at your studies

SEE what i did there..?

Very good, you have surpassed the teachings of your master! Well done...

On another note how the hell do people not get Bs!!! (excuse any arrogance)
Original post by soempty
I agree with that, as i written as grades matter more, but person with same grades at as will be at advantage if he had better gcses (implying we are coming from similar schools)

Hmm, yes, but it's a disadvantage only insofar as it's one more thing in favour of the person with the better grades, and usually, I think, quite an insignificant thing in their favour. Speaking as someone who's been through the admissions process with relatively awful GCSEs, attained at a good school. ("Good" by average northern town standards). Assuming good UMS scores I think it will usually come down to admissions tests and interviews. That's the impression I think we arrived at when we analysed the results of the Cambridge applicants' threat 2011, and having talked to my DoS about admissions I'm more sure that, broadly, that's the case.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, sorry, I can never resist having the GCSE rant when there's an opportunity. I was told by a few teachers that you needed solid A*s, and I know that others who would actually have a good chance get put off by such comments.
Reply 71

Thank you, your praise is much appreciated.

Okay, how the hell do people not get "B's" - You must BE and idiot if you cannot get a B grade in your GCSE's. However, getting a B is not the BE all and end all of everything - collages still accept you with a B, but you must BE willing to put in the hard work...

Whaddya think?

I got a B in GCSE English lit by not bothering to read one of the books. And in German, by only learning the vocabulary up to the letter E. I got a C in history by not looking at all at one of the papers. :colondollar:
Thank you, your praise is much appreciated.

Okay, how the hell do people not get "B's" - You must BE and idiot if you cannot get a B grade in your GCSE's. However, getting a B is not the BE all and end all of everything - collages still accept you with a B, but you must BE willing to put in the hard work...

Whaddya think?

Again, very good, I often think of B as heavy and horrible... I would hate a B, unless it's art :wink:
Reply 74
Again, very good, I often think of B as heavy and horrible... I would hate a B, unless it's art :wink:

Hmm.. I hate B's too. I think i'd jump off my nearest cliff if i got a B :s-smilie:
Reply 75
As somebody that got 6As, this thread is depressing :/
Hmm.. I hate B's too. I think i'd jump off my nearest cliff if i got a B :s-smilie:

I'd be on the (B)rink of Suicide... :biggrin:
Reply 77
Original post by nohomo
Shouldn't that be D?

no
Reply 78
I got 4A's and 6B's at GCSE of which 1A was 3 marks of an overall A*. And to be fair I loved the idea of aiming for an A rather than an A* and so many people would be grateful for an A so don't think getting an A is bad, its great :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I got a B in GCSE English lit by not bothering to read one of the books. And in German, by only learning the vocabulary up to the letter E. I got a C in history by not looking at all at one of the papers. :colondollar:

Aaah, but it wasn't down to intelligence so it's all good :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest